Author Topic: Usability issue regarding navigation arrows.  (Read 5354 times)

Offline kelaklub

• Multiple posting newcomer
Usability issue regarding navigation arrows.
« on: December 03, 2006, 07:35:32 am »
Love the drop-down list of tabs as a replacement for the navigation arrows. Two suggestions regarding usability...

1) Try moving the drop down arrow to the left instead of the right, since most of our code is written from left to right, and on a large monitor its carpal tunnel nightmare dragging the mouse pointer all the way to right side of the screen when the mouse pointer is most of the time closer to the left side of the screen.

2) Or if possible, have the drop down arrow displayed on every tab on the screen.

By the way thank you so much for making the build information and build date visible and easy to copy on the Code::Blocks "Start here" page...

svn build rev 3315 (2006-11-29 22:13:07) gcc 3.4.5 Windows/unicode

I don't remember this info being there before, so unless I missed it, thank you.

Offline eranif

• Regular
Re: Usability issue regarding navigation arrows.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:44:35 am »
Try moving the drop down arrow to the left instead of the right, since most of our code is written from left to right, and on a large monitor its carpal tunnel nightmare dragging the mouse pointer all the way to right side of the screen when the mouse pointer is most of the time closer to the left side of the screen

Interesting suggestion, but I think I will keep them to the left.

If you dont like moving your mouse around all the way to far left, use Ctrl + Tab (enable smart tabbing) it will open for you a dialog with list of all open tabs in it, you can keep navigating through the open tabs in the list by keep clicking on Ctrl+ Tab or Ctrl + Tab + Shift

I think this is a reasonable workaround for both of your points
Eran

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:03:06 pm »
If you dont like moving your mouse around all the way to far left, use Ctrl + Tab (enable smart tabbing) it will open for you a dialog with list of all open tabs in it, you can keep navigating through the open tabs in the list by keep clicking on Ctrl+ Tab or Ctrl + Tab + Shift

I think this is a reasonable workaround for both of your points
Eran

i think this is a great feature and not a workaround  :D
thanks, tiwag

Offline kelaklub

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:43:01 pm »
Duh, Ctrl + Tab. Got so distracted with eye candy, that you forget that sometimes the keyboard is all you need. Thanks.

Offline Phatency

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 07:40:03 pm »
I had no idea what smart tabbing does untill someone mentioned ctrl+tab. I had it on for months before knowing what it does. How about adding a tooltiptext to the options?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 07:57:30 pm »
I had no idea what smart tabbing does untill someone mentioned ctrl+tab. I had it on for months before knowing what it does. How about adding a tooltiptext to the options?
or one day when we have a manual  :P

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:47:51 pm »
or one day when we have a manual  :P

Coming soon to an IDE near you.

Offline johanekdahl

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 07:36:30 pm »
And, pray tell me: Where is this setting for "smart tabbing". I thought it would be somewhere in the vincinity of the setting for complete paths or filenames only for the tabs, but alas I cannot find it anywhere in that vincinity. I seem to recollect that I saw it somewhere but now I can't find it.

Missing a searchable help system is really a drawback... :cry:

sethjackson

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 08:00:05 pm »
And, pray tell me: Where is this setting for "smart tabbing". I thought it would be somewhere in the vincinity of the setting for complete paths or filenames only for the tabs, but alas I cannot find it anywhere in that vincinity. I seem to recollect that I saw it somewhere but now I can't find it.

Missing a searchable help system is really a drawback... :cry:

Settings -> Environment -> Notebooks appearance