Author Topic: Feature request: "last position"/"next position" button!  (Read 5755 times)

jlcbravo

Feature request: "last position"/"next position" button!
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:24:47 am »
Hi. I often use this editor and it's really amazing. I use it to source code editing but I miss a basic feature (already present in other editors like UEStudio or Eclipse): A pair of buttons in the toolbar, allowing the navigation to the "last edit position" or the "next edit position". I think it could be implemented as some kind of "automatic bookmark": the editor could save internally the tenth (or whatever) last visited positions as internal bookmarks, and allow the "last edit position"/"next edit position" buttons to move between them. The feature of basic bookmarking already exists, but setting manually bookmarks to go back and forth isn't very user friendly and takes some time (and keystrokes...).

Anyway, thanks for this great program!

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Feature request: "last position"/"next position" button!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:03:06 pm »
A pair of buttons in the toolbar, allowing the navigation to the "last edit position" or the "next edit [...]
Good news! Look for the bookmarks feature already implemented in C::B. Menu "Edit" -> "Bookmarks".
There are also shortcuts to quickly jump to a bookmark inside the editor...
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

jlcbravo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:41 pm »
A pair of buttons in the toolbar, allowing the navigation to the "last edit position" or the "next edit [...]
Good news! Look for the bookmarks feature already implemented in C::B. Menu "Edit" -> "Bookmarks".
There are also shortcuts to quickly jump to a bookmark inside the editor...
With regards, Morten.

Thanks for your response, but I think I have explained myself badly. I'm aware of bookmarks capabilities of Code::Blocks, but I was looking for a feature similar to the already implemented on web browsers: going back and forth between web pages visited (in Code::Blocks, this translates to navigate between pieces of code I have recently edited) with two buttons on the toolbar (top left corner on Firefox). The browser AUTOMATICALLY remembers the latest visited pages, without the need of manually setting a bookmark (The "bookmarks" menu entry function on Firefox and "Edit"->"Bookmarks" on Code::Blocks are meant only to explicitly and manually setting a bookmark).

From a programmer's perspective, I think this could be implemented reusing the existing code for bookmarks. Code::Blocks could AUTOMATICALLY set internal (not visible) bookmarks, remembering the latest 20th edited positions in code. Thus, Code::Blocks could have two lists of bookmarks: "user" bookmarks (manually set, at user's will, and already implemented) and "reciently visited positions" bookmarks (automatically set, and with a limited scope remembering the "n" last visited positions).

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:45:06 pm »
I've seen this in other IDEs, and I really like it.

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:40:11 pm »
I was going to implement this kind of a feature as a plugin but I'm going to join the army soon so my time is limited.

Like discussed above, it was going to have two buttons, back and forward and the plugin would then create a  waypoint when a file was edited. There were also different "modes". For example in "one file mode" waypoints could only reference another waypoints in that file. In "project mode" waypoints could reference to different files within one project and in "all files mode", waypoints could reference to different files in different projects (both in project and external files).

Offline Phatency

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:37:05 am »
I want to see this feature implemented too. I hate to manually reposition my caret all the time.