Author Topic: Debugging under Linux  (Read 3965 times)

Offline thorn

• Single posting newcomer
Debugging under Linux
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:12:46 pm »
I am using Codeblocks on Ubuntu Linux and am most impressed with the product. I am having one problem trying to work with the debugger. This morning I downloaded the latest nightly build for Ubuntu (11-28) and I still am having the same problem. I have read enough in this forum to realize that in all probability the problem is mine and not any hiding bugs in CodeBlocks.

If I set a break point using F5 and then click on the debug tab, everything from Start to “Add symbol file” is grayed out and cannot be activated.  I can't even start the debugger. The first possibility that crossed my mind is that the debugging symbol tables were not being produced by the compiler, but that option has been checked and seems to be just fine. The fact that most of the debugging options are grayed out seems to me to indicate that the debugger is certainly not active in my project. If anyone might know what is causing this or could possibly point me to some helpful documentation, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Thorn

Offline dje

• Lives here!
Re: Debugging under Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 04:44:11 pm »
Hi !!

The first possibility that crossed my mind is that the debugging symbol tables were not being produced by the compiler, but that option has been checked and seems to be just fine.

Did you check that Strip all symbols from binary is not checked ?
Did you configure the project and the build targets ?

Dje

Offline thorn

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Debugging under Linux
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:11:26 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Strip all symbols from binary is not checked.

I used the C++ defauilt project template and did nothing about configuring a target. This is my first venture using CodeBlocks and I am working with a very small, easy C++ aplication having only one cpp file. I learn best by using very simple programs I know work so I am not too concerned about coding errors. The purpose of this process is to become both familiar and comfortable enough with Codeblocks to fire up a project I need to start.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Thorn