Author Topic: functions list popup thingy o_O?  (Read 9771 times)

rainman

functions list popup thingy o_O?
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:37:57 pm »
After searching for a simple but powerful IDE, I decided to go with CodeBlocks and until now I have to say I like it a lot!

I wasn't too sure where to post this but seeing how the screenshot shows the win version, I'll post here.

What I'm wondering is how can you get that feature that lists the functions working?

Let's say I type std::, would CodeBlocks display the list of what's available to append? Or am I totally way off :X

I use the latest version of CB (not cvs) with the C++ Toolkit 2003.

Rock on everyone 8)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 11:59:33 pm »
Hey rainman, congrats for your visit, enjoy your stay :)

Oh, that "functions list popup thingy" is called "code completion". The configuration is in the "Settings, Configure plugins" menu. You have to enable the global includes for this to work with standard libraries and such.

Now I'd enable the "use caché" option, but i don't know if it still crashes :P. You'd have to try.

rainman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:45:56 am »
Thanks for the fast reply rickg22. I thought at first it was that but I wasn't too sure so I gave it  weird name such as "function list popup thingy" :roll:

I did the proper changes such as enable it for global includes and I did try use cache. Nothing crashes but nothing happens.

if I type std::, nothing happens. I try to change the delay to 0ms but still nothing. Same goes if I try with string like name.substr, won't see the popup where I'd normally see substr, length, etc.

I checked if the plugin was properly loaded and it was. tried unloading/reloading, still nothing.

I then saw that I could do CTRL+J for auto complete but that I guess is something completely different? :?

CodeBlocks still remains the best ide I could find with or without this feature but having previously used ide's where such feature existed (eclipse for java, VS .Net), it's something I'll try and fiddle around to get it working. Got nothing to lose 8)

Thanks.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 01:43:33 am »
autocomplete is for commonly used structures: if's, for's etc.

Maybe std:: isn't supported at all in Codecompletion? Yiannis, any help?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 08:57:40 am »
Yep, the STL is not supported yet. But it will at some point ;)
In the meantime, you code should be parsed correctly as well as global functions/classes/etc (if you 've enabled global parsing).
Some things are not implemented yet, like typedefs, but for the most part it works ok.

Golden tip:
If at some point you add/remove/reorganize files/classes in your project and you see strange behaviour of the code-completion, switch to the "Symbols" tab of the project manager, right-click on the "Symbols" item and select "Re-parse now".

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

rainman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 05:55:10 pm »
It's all good then. Thanks for the help guys and for the tip Yiannis 8)

Offline code1101

• Single posting newcomer
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 06:50:57 am »
For me me it didnt work at all untill I checked the "Do not use SmartSense" checkbox under code completion tab in the code completion plugin settings.

what does SmartSense do anyway?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 09:37:02 am »
what does SmartSense do anyway?

Without it, it just lists all known tokens regardless of scope.
With it, it tries to be smart and list only tokens valid in the context, hence SmartSense  ;) (although it's not that smart  :p )

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:44:24 pm »
ok mayby i'm stupid, but i can't get this to work. Everything works OK on local functions and classes, but I can't get global functions to be completed, fe. printf() o.O
I'm using 1.0finalbeta version.
Any Ideas?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 01:01:58 pm »
Go to "Settings->Configure plugins->Code completion" and make sure "Follow GLOBAL includes" is checked. Note that this should make parsing slower because it will search in globally included dirs for files too.
Also note that currently it doesn't parse files without extension (that's why the STL is not parsed).

Yiannis.
Be patient!

probine

Re: functions list popup thingy o_O?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 12:03:21 pm »
Well, it works only for local classes, variables, and methods, but how about for example:

string name;
name.length()     // here" length()" should appear automatically

How is it done ???

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: functions list popup thingy o_O?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 01:13:25 pm »
Well, it works only for local classes, variables, and methods, but how about for example:

string name;
name.length()     // here" length()" should appear automatically

How is it done ???

If you read one post above, you 'll see it's mentioned that the STL is not parsed as well as why...
Be patient!