Author Topic: Serious performance issues on Ubuntu 6.10  (Read 14027 times)

Offline hendrik

• Single posting newcomer
Serious performance issues on Ubuntu 6.10
« on: November 20, 2006, 08:58:05 am »
Hi all,

I already used Code::Blocks under Win32 for development in a larger project. CB is great work, so I decided to use it as the primary IDE for my next larger, platform-independent project, just to have a consistent development environment on win32, Linux and probably FreeBSD. After installation of a recent SVN version on Ubuntu 6.10, I realised that the editor component is really slow (it takes about half a second from my keyboard input until something appears on the screen), most input seems to lag behind, making text editing and usage of cut and paste a real pain (This is even trough for a minimal project containing only a single source file). This doesn't seem to be a problem of wxwidgets or the scintilla component, since both are used by Stanis Python Editor too, which runs perfectly on my Linux Box. Does anyone has some hints on how to increase performance of the CB editor?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Serious performance issues on Ubuntu 6.10
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:20:54 am »
Have you turned off the code completion plugin?

My guess a plugin is having an issue and turning them all off to see if issue goes away.
Then turn them on one at a time to see which one is the cause.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23:45 pm »
I use C::B on Ubuntu 6.10, but I don't have the issues that you are describing . . .

EDIT: Using cstudent's november 17 nightly build for edgy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:30:16 pm by rjmyst3 »

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:01:12 pm »
I have the same problem, C::B uses about 30-40% of the CPU when typing. It's even worse when moving the mouse of the the toolbars, CPU usage raises over 50% (!). Scite uses about half of a amount CPU what C::B does, about 15-20% which is still way too much (the machine is a laptop). gedit uses about 5%.

The specs are:
Intel Pentium M 1,73GHz
1 GB RAM
Integrated graphics card (Intel)

Ubuntu 6.10, wxWidgets 2.6.3p2

And these results from C::B are with _no_ syntax highlighting; using one will raise the CPU usage even further.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have only very small number of plugins enabled and among the disabled ones is code completion.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:08:39 pm by artoj »

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 05:28:44 pm »
I have the same issues, but I believe autotools and the CB Project file only make unoptimized debug builds.  You should try an optimized build.  If you do a search you will see we have investigated this before.  The best I got was using sysprof to pin most of the work down to the editor component and Pango.  I suggest you install sysprof and give it a try.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 06:24:55 pm »
I have the same issues, but I believe autotools and the CB Project file only make unoptimized debug builds.
Two months ago, when I last built Code::Blocks with autotools, it was using -O2.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline hendrik

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 01:03:03 pm »
So I'll just check out if building by hand leads to an optimized build or not.

Offline hendrik

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:58:09 pm »
Sorry for double-posting guys, but I just compiled the most recent svn checkout using GCC 4.1 on my Ubuntu 6.10 Box with -O3 and -march=athlon-xp parameters (Standard configuration is -O2), which solved none of my problems. The editor's still lame, using about 50% of the CPU while typing, with all plugins disabled.  :?

Klaas

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 05:48:16 pm »
I seem to have the exact same problems with codeblocks on ubuntu dapper. When moving the mouse in the code window, the processor load exceeds 50%. Scrolling thru the code also feels sluggish and make the load go up to 100%. Disabling all the plugins didn't solve the problem.

I'm using nvidia drivers, the November 23 build of Codeblocks and wxWidgets 2.6.1 on a AMD 3200 (in 32-bit mode).

sherwood

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:54:02 am »
Hello.

I have the same problem with my Kubuntu 6.10.
I have read all the posts about linux performance issues and I can't find a pattern.

This problem doesn't seem to be related to (K)Ubuntu in particular, Debian users have the same problem.
I could reproduce the 100% CPU usage issue even using Suse 10.0, which was running from inside QEMU (the 100% CPU usage was INSIDE the emulator, that is, in the emulated OS). I believe this test leaves (k)ubuntu and my particular hardware out of the question.

I want to help to solve this bug, because I find codeblocks very useful.

Profiling tips are welcome, because it would be best to profile (with gprof) as little cpp's as possible, to keep the profiling meaningful.

Another interesting thing to do, is to gather details about the harware and distro of users with (and without) the problem.

We could open a topic and organize all this...
Anybody in?

Sherwood

Offline DarkHorizon

• Odyssey Project
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 03:47:53 pm »
Hopefully it's not too late to address this.

My specs:
Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy (dual booted with WinXP SP2)
AMD Sempron 2300+ (1500mhz)
512mb PC133 RAM
NVidia Geforce 5200

Absolutely no problems with scrolling in WinXP, however in Edgy scrolling is a nightmare. I figured maybe it was due to KDE's handling of GTK apps, but I haven't tested C::B in Gnome to substantiate this idea.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:54:15 am »
Absolutely no problems with scrolling in WinXP, however in Edgy scrolling is a nightmare. I figured maybe it was due to KDE's handling of GTK apps, but I haven't tested C::B in Gnome to substantiate this idea.

What desktop environment you are running makes no difference at all because KDE in no way 'handles' GTK apps.  Both GTK and QT talk directly to the X server.  I would suggest running something like sysprof or oprofile and try and figure out what is taking most of the CPU time.  Then post the results.

davidjany

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 07:10:57 pm »
Maybe I have an solution for you. I had similar problems mentioned above; even moving the mouse over the C::B window brought increasing CPU usage.

My System is:
Ubuntu 6.10
wxWidgets 2.6.3 (manual Installation)
Code::Blocks 3455 (had also some older versions before; all plugins can be enabled)

The problem seemed to occure after configuring wxWidgets with --enable-debug-Flag. When starting and working within C::B the console showed many warnings and the CPU usage increased heavily.

After configuring wxWidgets without --enable-debug-Flag and C::B with disable-debug-Flag, C::B worked perfectly, except for the annoying copy-n'-paste-bug - C::B crashes often when pasting something. There are some threads according the copy-n'-paste-bug.

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:16:58 pm »
I have no those problems under SUSE 10.2 64 bit. I install somehow 32 bit version and everything works fine. I have a suggestion,  that problem is in video card configuration. I have notebook with nvidia on it. Before drivers installation all graphical stuff took to much of the CPU resources. Pls take a look on to you video card configuration.
gcc+winXP+suse.

sherwood

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:42 am »
I have no those problems under SUSE 10.2 64 bit. I install somehow 32 bit version and everything works fine. I have a suggestion,  that problem is in video card configuration. I have notebook with nvidia on it. Before drivers installation all graphical stuff took to much of the CPU resources. Pls take a look on to you video card configuration.

My Hardware:
Nvidia FX5200 128 MB video memory.
P4 2.3 Ghz, 1GB RAM DDR.
Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 upgraded from 6.04

I am using the nvidia kernel module and nvidia xorg driver.
I guess it's correctly installed, all my GL screensavers run smoothly.

My active xorg extensions are: (copy paste from /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Section "Module"
   Load   "bitmap"
   Load   "ddc"
   Load   "dri"
   Load   "extmod"
   Load   "freetype"
   Load   "glx"
   Load   "int10"
   Load   "type1"
   Load   "vbe"
EndSection

Anything wrong here?

I have the 100% CPU usage problem, the typing speed and keyboard scrolling are noticeably slow. Scite, a scintilla-based text editor, is a lightning by comparation...

Regards,

Sherwood