Author Topic: New to CB: can't create project (Solved)  (Read 6116 times)

rempi

New to CB: can't create project (Solved)
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:54:04 pm »
Hi. I've just recently moved from Dev-C++ to CB.  I'm running WinXP SP2 and have installed the most recent CB nightly (Nov. 4).  My problem is this:  when I try to create a new project (File -> New -> Project) the list of project wizards is empty.  I can create new files, and compile and run them just fine. But I'm not able to create a new project, which means I can't run the debugger. (Right?)  Do I need to download/install something other than just the nightly in order to do this?

Thanks

[Edit:] Oops! I should have posted this in the Help forum.  My apologies.  Is it possible to move it there?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:08:05 am by rempi »

Offline balgior

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: New to CB: can't create project
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:42:14 pm »
My problem is this:  when I try to create a new project (File -> New -> Project) the list of project wizards is empty.

hi!

this is strange,how did you do that?  :?::!:
maybe something went wrong wile unpacking CB?
is your [CodeBlocks_path]\share\CodeBlocks\templates empty or something?
try to unpack CB again, after having deleted all current files and see if it's fixed..

rempi

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:40:40 pm »

I've deleted and unpacked it several times, simply using 7zip to unpack the nightly into my CodeBlocks folder.  The \share\Codeblocks\templates directory is not empty; it has a bunch of .cbp, .cpp, .c, .h, .png, and .template files, as well as a .bmp and a folder named 'wizard'. 

Is there a way to tell the 'New from template' dialog box where to look for templates?  Is there any reason it shouldn't be able to see those in the \templates directory?

Thanks

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 03:45:08 am »
Is there a way to tell the 'New from template' dialog box where to look for templates?  Is there any reason it shouldn't be able to see those in the \templates directory?

Thanks

Yup C::B does that on purpose AFAIK.

The wizards folder should be full of files and folders. Those scripts are what C::B uses to create your project.

HTH

rempi

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:36:19 am »

Yup C::B does that on purpose AFAIK.

The wizards folder should be full of files and folders. Those scripts are what C::B uses to create your project.

HTH

Yes, the \templates\wizards directory is full of files and folders.  But C::B isn't seeing any of them.  Is there a setting to tell C::B where to look for wizards?  Is there any other reason that C::B might not see them?

Thanks

rempi

Re: New to CB: can't create project (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:06:40 am »
Ok, I solved the problem.

Before I installed the Nov. 4 nightly, I had installed and uninstalled 1.0-RC2.  Then I installed the nightly, and it couldn't find the project wizards. So I deleted the C::B directory and unpacked everything again. Same result.  What (I think) solved the problem was going into the Windows\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data folder and deleting \.codeblocks.  I think info from the first install (1.0-RC2) was still there telling C::B where to look for wizard scripts, and the nightly install was looking for the same (now nonexistant) directory and finding nothing.

I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious to some, but it wasn't to me. Thanks to balgior and sethjackson for the replies.

-DL

Offline balgior

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 12:14:23 am »
Before I installed the Nov. 4 nightly, I had installed and uninstalled 1.0-RC2.

if you had just told this earlier... :wink:

have fun with c::b!

julienlecomte

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 06:01:01 pm »
Solution
 - in menu "Plugins -> Manage Plugins", enable the "Scripted Wizard" plugin.

This solution is far easier than deleting you whole profile and recreate everything from scratch.