Author Topic: GUI development  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
GUI development
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:55:37 am »
I work in the are of scientific programming since 1996. I used lots of environments, know a lot of people who works in the same or similar area. The problem – there is no good open source, cross platform, components based IDE for GUI development. :(

The main present day advantage of every one environment is ability of fast GUI development. That is the key of success...
Say if Code::Blocks will have half of Borland components palette but for wxWidgets or QT - la viola - you are guys in the top list of development environments. A lot of people will invest money and time to that project.

To do that you have to add only small number of components to wxSmith. Like standard dialogs, menu, status bar, Toolbar, Grid. For DB small list of components. That will bring large number of people to the project. They will start contribute components to the project. Her will be the same situation as with Borland, but a lot better. There is huge number of components for Borland IDE – question why? - The answer is very simple – friendly environment for GUI creation. Why everybody sitting in stupid Windows – there is no grate open source cross platform IDE for GUI development.

Code::Blocks has chance if you guys will make it. I haven't time, unfortunately, to do that. If I will have free money – I will invest them to that project (I know place with tons of grate programmers for 1000$ per month ;)).
gcc+winXP+suse.

takeshimiya

Re: GUI development
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:52:45 am »
As you can see in the feature matrix I've put here, it is not that faraway from what you're saying, and support for those widgets is planned.

The problem is that byo, the main developer of wxSmith has paused development on it due to lack of time.
I wonder if a donation system could change the situation.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:41:09 am »
The problem is that byo, the main developer of wxSmith has paused development on it due to lack of time.

I wouldn't say so. Byo is working on a different branch now, until the wxSmith rewrite is ready for the trunk again. Check the svn logs...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:18:02 am »

I wouldn't say so. Byo is working on a different branch now, until the wxSmith rewrite is ready for the trunk again. Check the svn logs...
Nice to hear :) I doubt he has much free-time though, so the proposal remains.

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 12:59:23 am »
If we will have a simple way of new components creation and installation. Like in Borland... select a file from menu and install... that will be it - commercial guys will die forever :lol:
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 02:06:23 am »
I wonder if a donation system could change the situation.

I haven't stopped developing wxSmith :) I don't have as much time as before (not a student anymore) :( But everything is on a good way.

If we will have a simple way of new components creation and installation. Like in Borland... select a file from menu and install... that will be it - commercial guys will die forever :lol:

After I finish it will be as easy as... installing new plugin into C::B :) In fact new widgets could be located in plugins that will do nothing else than offering new widgets :) And I hope that there will be feature in C::B  allowing to install plugin with few clicks 8)  But before that - solid framework has the highest priority

Code::Blocks has chance if you guys will make it. I haven't time, unfortunately, to do that. If I will have free money – I will invest them to that project (I know place with tons of grate programmers for 1000$ per month ;)).
You can always help with some advices :) Good experience is always priceless :)

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 05:00:18 am »
I am trying to help you guys and to my self;)
gcc+winXP+suse.