Author Topic: Google releases code search service  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Google releases code search service
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:06:52 pm »

sethjackson

Re: Google releases code search service
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:36:25 pm »
Yep saw this yesterday. :)

I wonder if the Koders plugin can be easily extended to do a Google code search? Hmmm.....

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:22:36 pm »

I wonder if the Koders plugin can be easily extended to do a Google code search? Hmmm.....

Well...

"You're da man !" Give us a patch.  :)

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

Well...

"You're da man !" Give us a patch.  :)

Mandrav is the man. :D

I'll take a look at the plugin later. ;)

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:37:18 pm »
I'll take a look at the plugin later. ;)

You might want to look one of my earlier plugins called Internet Search. It was the first plugin I made for C::B back in 2005. It's old but most of the code can be used.

Morten also ported the plugin to the SVN version but he couldn't send me the patches, so you should consult him too.

Arto

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 11:17:36 pm »
Morten also ported the plugin to the SVN version but he couldn't send me the patches, so you should consult him too.
Oops - didn't I? I can't recall... sorry for that. If there is still any interest I could re-activate them and post here... how about?!
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:19:02 pm »
Similar functionality has been part of the core since last November. Supposed you can live with the results showing up in the browser (which shouldn't be a problem), adding Google Code is a matter of 3 more lines of code :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 09:55:50 am »
Similar functionality has been part of the core since last November. Supposed you can live with the results showing up in the browser (which shouldn't be a problem), adding Google Code is a matter of 3 more lines of code :)

Indeed, I wasn't aware of that functionality when I developed my plugin, around that same time.

My plugin also shows the results in browser too though it has 2 things I like over the current C::B implementation:

1) I can add any number of new search engines I like (without editing the source)
2) The default search engine can be launched with a keyboard shortcut so I don't have to use mouse

Oops - didn't I? I can't recall... sorry for that. If there is still any interest I could re-activate them and post here... how about?!
With regards, Morten.

No you didn't but you don't have to to worry about that :). I don't have any plans to resurrect the plugin currently however if someone wants to develop something around it, go ahead, it's GPL after all.

Arto

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 10:38:57 am »

By the way, I would suggest making a new tip about this feature.

Something like:

"You can perform a quick search to Google, Google Code or MSDN by holding Ctrl and right-clicking the text you want to search."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:42:12 am »

By the way, I would suggest making a new tip about this feature.

Something like:

"You can perform a quick search to Google, Google Code or MSDN by holding Ctrl and right-clicking the text you want to search."

done

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
My plugin also shows the results in browser too though it has 2 things I like over the current C::B implementation:

1) I can add any number of new search engines I like (without editing the source)
2) The default search engine can be launched with a keyboard shortcut so I don't have to use mouse

1) Yes, I thought about that for a second when implementing this initially, but then it seemed too much work and hassle for something you don't really need (and don't want!). I did not even intend to support MSDN search at first, as the plan was a simple, unobstructed one-click internet search (no multiple choices). But then the menu looked so naked with only one entry... hence came MSDN... and now Google Code :)
Configuration is generally nice, but you know my point of view in the field of customisation. It is good as long as it is useful and necessary, but beyond that, configuration only adds complexity.
In this particular case, I daresay "If Google hasn't got it listed, then it doesn't exist". :)

2) Oh yeah, good point... my keyboard even has a dedicated key for that (and I never remember to use it!) :lol:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."