Author Topic: Where did you find out about Code::Blocks?  (Read 18777 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Where did you find out about Code::Blocks?
« on: May 31, 2005, 07:34:20 pm »
I looked for a C++ IDE while looking for Dev-Cpp developers. Then someone directed me to Yiannis (the author).

And you?

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 07:54:09 pm »
I read about it on the GameDev forums. Not that I create games, but they're nice forums to read, and quite diverse despite its main focus being game programming.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 07:55:04 pm »
i've read Yiannis announcement in wxWidgets Discussion Forum

Offline AkiraDev

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 08:30:39 pm »
Google was my friend. Don't remember the term I used exactly, but I think I mentioned "free C++ IDE", and then came accross a link in a site.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:39:25 pm »
We were discussing about wxWidgets based IDE in wxWidgets Discussion Forum
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Bourricot

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 08:46:15 pm »
I was trying to compil half-life 2 sdk with visual c++ toolkit.
On sourcewiki.org   i've found a link to codeblocks....
(http://www.sourcewiki.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling#Visual_C.2B.2B_Toolkit)
I managed to compil half-life 2 SDK and then I realized that i had not enough time/idea/skills to make a good mod.  :?

Offline AkiraDev

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:27:03 am »
Quote from: AkiraDev
Google was my friend. Don't remember the term I used exactly, but I think I mentioned "free C++ IDE", and then came accross a link in a site.

Hey that gives me an idea.

type "free C++ IDE" on google, and submit codeblocks to all the related sites! :D (some require free registration / login)

"Google is your friend" :P

Anyway, who else wants to share his testimony?

Offline Profic

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 09:10:37 am »
I've used Dev-C++ for a while and once saw post in its development forum about c::b claiming it is written in C++. I got excited. Use google to find something about it and... I'm here :)
Not fear, nor tears can reach me now, the light seems so clear as the night fades away (c) Tristania - Beyond The Veil

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:33:16 am »
I ran into it when I was looking for an IDE that worked on Linux and Windows. (Google mainly).

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 11:59:50 am »
I've searched for various months for a good IDE made in C++ and that runs on Windows an Linux, and I found zero (and I've tried a lots).

Until like 3 months I discovered through the links at wxWidgets site, the Chinook Developer Studio IDE ( http://www.degarrah.com/chinookfree.php ) (made using wxWidgets and C++, runs on linux, windows, bsd, solaris, :o ).
However I never liked the fact that it was freeware but not opensource.

And after a few days I discovered reading at the wxWidgets forum, that someone was saying how promising was Code::Blocks.
I tried it, and I found very similar to Visual C 6, (the most used IDE in history?), and I was searching exactly for that.

Being open source, made in C++, wxWidgets, multiplatform, a plugin architecture, it's perfect :), and the features that it doesn't have now, it will have tomorrow because how it's made. (Not like Dev-C++ which never looked promising from the start).

Indeed I always was dreaming about developing a C++ IDE using wxWidgets, because I can't understanded why no one had done that.
But now, I'm very satisfied with Code::Blocks (not using every day because some features it lacks, but that will change) so no need to make another IDE, it is on the good direction :wink: .

I have found a good language (C++), a good toolkit (wxWidgets and FLTK), and a good IDE (Code::Blocks), but I have to found yet replacements for: Windows managers (KDE, Gnome, etc), Graphic Servers (Xorg, XFree86, argh I hate those), a good kernel (to Linux, perhaps Hurd?),
and more important, an all around tiny standard STL like library containing basic things to make cross-platform development easy, like UNICODE strings, etc (something between boost library and wxBase).

I think I remember seeing at the links of the wxWidgets site a link to Code::Blocks some time ago, but I can't find now, perhaps they've removed it.
It appears to me that it was there http://wxwidgets.org/lnk_tool.htm  or there http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/wiki.pl?Table_Of_Contents

Offline a3st

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 05:52:19 pm »
First time I noticed CodeBlocks was the thread mispunt and AkiraDev mentioned on Jorg's wxwidgets forum

Came across it also at devcpp users forum
http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2884105
and mentioned it here
http://thevertigo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=141

SartriX

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 07:38:32 pm »
Was invited to work with someone on a HL2-source mod who needed an experienced C-coder. Only had an aged and illegal Borland C++ IDE literally laying under some dust as it would no longer install and most my work so far was in plain linux/vim anyway. The leaddev pointed me to C::B as a free windows/MSVC++ solution. Didn't join the modding team due to lack of time, but C::B stuck to me :)

Offline ProfesorX

• Single posting newcomer
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 06:42:39 am »
I heard of c::b in the ogre forums, when i was looking for a IDE capable for an easy batch build of that engine to stay up to date, because i previously used dev-cpp, but it is a pain to compile ogre in that IDE because i have to open manually project by project, and in order. Now with this IDE, it is a snap to stay up to date ;)

C::B rules!!! :)

Anonymous

d
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 04:11:41 am »
I saw C::B mentioned in a message related to free IDE in gamedev.net.
alomost a year ago. When everyone was talking
excitedly about DEV-CPP, a post about code::blocks ended them all
(figure they went to try C::B out in an instance)
Then from then on (i think) no speach of best dev-cpp ide could be seen.
Everybody loves C::B.