Author Topic: The 02 october 2006 build will NOT be out.  (Read 9664 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 02 october 2006 build will NOT be out.
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:17:17 pm »
a commit caused  CB not to build, will be fixed by tomorrow
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:24:01 am by killerbot »

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: The 02 october 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:45:16 pm »
I had the same problem, so I upgraded TortoiseSVN, and now it is working again...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:51:17 pm »
I had the same problem, so I upgraded TortoiseSVN, and now it is working again...
I also upgraded my tortoise svn, since I suspected that to be the cause, but no luck :-(

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:18:32 am »
To everybody having problems with the build:

Subversion and TortoiseSVN changed their repository format as of version 1.4. This means that if you do not use the svn client (which you really should), the entries file could not be parsed by autorevision any more (see Seth's post yesterday).
Parsing the entries file was a fallback solution all the time anyway, the pristine way of doing things was to have the svn client installed.

The present version of autorevision is (hopefully) compatible with the new 1.4 format. This also means that it is no longer compatible with the 1.1-1.3 format (which was a non-wellformed xml file before). Sadly, instead of fixing the non-wellformed xml document, they replaced it with some binary representation. With the xml document, autorevision could do a "gentle failure". Since there is no structure in the document other than a few line breaks now, this is kind of complicated...

To be honest, I don't know how far compatibility goes, since the entries file format is kind of an undocumented, proprietary thing, but it looks easy enough, and I am relatively sure it works OK.
The information we need seems to be in lines 2 and 5 of the file (unless they change it again in the next version). I have verified that in about two dozen folders belonging to half a dozen working copies.

To make it work:
1. you need to run update using the new version, so the entries file is updated.
2. if you have broken the generated header due to using the updated autorevision with svn 1.3, you need to delete the generated header (sdk/autorevision.h) before proceeding, as it will otherwise not be updated.
3. proceed as normal
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:22:22 am by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The 02 october 2006 build will NOT be out.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 07:32:51 am »
hehe, I can confirm the make it work steps (step 1 was crucial !!!)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 07:36:05 am »
I am on Ubuntu and we will probably not get SVN 1.4 for about 7 months (came out just after the latest version's feature freeze), will autorevision continue to work?  I am assuming yes because it will make a call to the svn client instead of parsing the file its self.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:48 pm »
I am on Ubuntu and we will probably not get SVN 1.4 for about 7 months (came out just after the latest version's feature freeze), will autorevision continue to work?  I am assuming yes because it will make a call to the svn client instead of parsing the file its self.
If svn works, autorevision works. It is as simple as that :)
You can continue to use the old Subversion commandline tools indefinitely as long as you never accidentially (or deliberately) use a tool from the 1.4 line. Once you do that, you will no longer be able to use your working copies until you update.

autorevision only ever looks at any kind of files itself if svn fails. Thus, as long as you don't touch anything, you'll be fine.

The problem that Lieven experienced only appears if:
1. you use a different tool (TortoiseSVN) to check out
2. you did not update that tool to be compatible with Subversion 1.4
3. svn is not installed or not in PATH
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."