Author Topic: Problems making CB for OSX from wiki instructions  (Read 30306 times)

bnilsson

Re: Problems making CB for OSX from wiki instructions
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2006, 04:08:19 pm »
Just tested /opt/local/bin/gtk-demo, works fine.

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2006, 05:16:47 pm »
Opening a X11 terminal window and issuing the command 'codeblocks' at prompt gives the usual error (X11)dialog window saying resources cannot be found, ...

Open a xterm window, and run: /opt/local/bin/codeblocks --prefix /opt/local

Currently prefix detection is a bit rough in the non-bundled version, which is why I want you to run the program with the full path and even the explicit --prefix argument...
I will probably clean it up a bit later, once the other Darwin/GTK patches are accepted.

You do need to start X11 yourself, and set the DISPLAY variable (or run with xterm)

takeshimiya

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2006, 08:49:17 am »
afb, have you solved the issue of "Code::Blocks can't execute anything" here?

I've been using Intel Mac exclusively lately and this is becoming very annoying, I could build C::B from source, using macports method, and ./configure && make method, however it worked the first time I've done a "make install" but not subsequent times (undefined errors, could be that I'm using the MacOS Rez method, I don't know ...).

I thought it could be a wxExecute bug in wxWidgets 2.6.3 on Intel, so I created a little app to test various of the wxExecute calls and they work right... I'm also using DialogBlocks which is an Intel app and seems to work right too, for calling commands (gcc, make, etc).

So it seems a bug in C::B code.

Let's see if we can solve it first in sdk/toolsmanager.cpp for example.

Have you tried to compile wxWidgets and C::B in debug mode, to see if a debug-mode assert can help?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:54:53 am by Takeshi Miya »

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2006, 09:10:21 am »
afb, have you solved the issue of "Code::Blocks can't execute anything" here?

Nope, but it's not really a build problem so it isn't listed in this thread.

Works fine on PowerPC, so I will wait with until I have switched to Intel.

I've been using Intel Mac exclusively lately and this is becoming very annoying, I could build C::B from source, using macports method, and ./configure && make method, however it worked the first time I've done a "make install" but not subsequent times (undefined errors, could be that I'm using the MacOS Rez method, I don't know ...).

I'm not sure what those "undefined errors" are, but I got a lot of problems with DP trying to install old builds of packages that linked to libraries no longer present. Only way to solve that was to rebuild all those from scratch, manually.

So it seems that it has problems tracking dependencies, but that's off-topic too.

bnilsson

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2006, 10:41:46 am »
A final call to afb on this thread:
I got your codeblocks/wxGTK working but had som keyboard problems in X11, so I put it aside.
I tried the normal darwinport codeblocks/wxWidgets instead and found that rev 3001 worked just as well.
Now to my question:
When I try to debug a wx template project I cannot watch any local variables, instead I get things like this:

Debugger name and version: GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-563) (Wed Jul 19 05:17:43 GMT 2006)
No source file named /Users/bnilsson/Documents/Programming/Active/CB projects/wxCB/"app.cpp.
Breakpoint 1 ("/Users/bnilsson/Documents/Programming/Active/CB projects/wxCB/"app.cpp:8) pending.
No source file named /Users/bnilsson/Documents/Programming/Active/CB projects/wxCB/"app.cpp.
Breakpoint 2 ("/Users/bnilsson/Documents/Programming/Active/CB projects/wxCB/"app.cpp:9) pending.
Program exited normally.

I just added some breakpoints and started the debugger. It did not stop at the breakpoints.
Did I miss something or should I report this as a bug?

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2006, 12:46:54 pm »
I think that GDB not finding the source file might be a universal problem,
at least I seem to recall seeing a thread about it on another platform ?

But you might want to report a bug to BerliOS, if there isn't one already.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2006, 02:00:15 pm »
I just added some breakpoints and started the debugger. It did not stop at the breakpoints.
Did I miss something or should I report this as a bug?

Breakpoint are not honored in constructors or destructors.
You'll have to put the breakpoints in a "dummy" routine called by the constructor.
Thus:
Code
myCtor::myCtor() {myInit();}
myCtor::myInit() {// put breakpoint here; int myint=0;}
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:02:20 pm by Pecan »