Author Topic: Couple of custom makefile/compiler Q's  (Read 4635 times)

griffin2000

Couple of custom makefile/compiler Q's
« on: September 19, 2006, 11:36:47 pm »
I'm new to CodeBlocks, pretty impressed so far but I'm having a couple of issues:

I have a project using a custom makefile (and a custom compiler).  

I have my project compiliing successfully, though I have to uncheck the "build this target with All" option.  

The first problem I have is that the clean make command is hardcoded..  The arguments our makefile takes to build our project are in the format:
"make platform target"

So if I make a CodeBlocks target called "A B" where A is the platform (PC, etc) and B is the target (Debug, Release, Final).  Building the project works fine (so long as I uncheck the "build this target with All" option in the build options), but when I try and clean the project it automatically calls:
"make clean_A"

Which doesn't exist so it fails.  What I want is for it to call "make A clean", how do I define this ?  I cannot change the makefile (as it would effect other people in my group, who don't use CodeBlocks and rely on the format as it is)

The second problem I have is debugging the app.  My makefile spits out a custom binary (.xyz)  I define this file as the "output file" in properties->target.  Regardless of what I define as the debugger executable in the compiler options (I have both a version of gbd that works with these binary files, and a custom windows GUI debugger) I get a "debugger executable is not set" error.

Any ideas how to fix this ?

Thanks all

griffin2000

Re: Couple of custom makefile/compiler Q's
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:52:04 pm »
Ahh ok I fixed the second of these errors... I didn't see the comment about the /bin folder, if I set the folder to myFiles rather than myFiles/bin it invokes my GDB fine.  However...  It looks like there may be differences between out version of GDB and the the interface CodeBlocks requires.

I get these kind of errors;
Compiling: done
Starting debugger: done
Adding source dir: C:\p4_perforce.z-axis.com1666_gmorgans\AGT\Internal\Tools\TestBed\
Adding file: ..\..\..\build\TestBed-debug.elf
A syntax error in expression, near `-console on'.
error
error
error
Continuing...
The program is not being run.
error

Is there any documentation on what behavior/parameters CodeBlocks expects from its debugger ?  Or a way to get more verbose output ?

Methedrine

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:21:34 am »
At least for the debugger I can say that you have to use GDB 6.3 ... I couldn't debug with any earlier version either :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:37:53 am »
The first problem I have is that the clean make command is hardcoded..

Try [Project->Build options->"Make" commands]...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

griffin2000

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:42:00 am »
The first problem I have is that the clean make command is hardcoded..

Try [Project->Build options->"Make" commands]...

I don't get this option... I get "compiler", "linker", "directories", etc.  No "make" commands options.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:55:36 am »
Please get nightly build, read the download page.  If you do have a nightly build, try scrolling over.

griffin2000

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:45 pm »
I got last nights build, I see that option pane now, but I get some other issues.  I reported them in the nightly build forum.