Author Topic: Codeblocks accepted for Fedora Extras  (Read 7273 times)

Offline SharkCZ

• Almost regular
Codeblocks accepted for Fedora Extras
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:08:05 pm »
I would like to inform you, that my package of Codeblocks was accepted for inclusion in Fedora Extras. It will be built for Fedora Core 5 and Development (to be FC6 in the near future).
Code::Blocks package maintainer for Fedora and EPEL

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Codeblocks accepted for Fedora Extras
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:32:08 pm »
Nice work :)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline momaa

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:43:18 pm »
Good news.

Alturin

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:55:27 pm »
Smooth SharkCZ, this should give the userbase a lil' boost ^^, I added a link to in the installing C::B on linux thingy.
Now all that's left is expanding the stub for 'Installing C::B on FC5'.
Since I don't have a FC5 box atm, someone else would propbably be more capable of fillin it in :).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:57:33 pm by Alturin »

Offline SharkCZ

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:49:25 pm »
Smooth SharkCZ, this should give the userbase a lil' boost ^^, I added a link to in the installing C::B on linux thingy.
Now all that's left is expanding the stub for 'Installing C::B on FC5'.
Since I don't have a FC5 box atm, someone else would propbably be more capable of fillin it in :).
I have updated the wiki page a bit.

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:09:38 am »
I merged the Fedora Extras info on the Wiki page with the existing information for installing the nightly builds for FC4 and FC5 (without using the repository or yum, actually I think it's usually about "double-clicking on the downloaded package" ?) in addition to using the (future?) packages from Fedora Extras...

Also renamed the page from "Fedora Core 5" to just "Fedora", less future changes that way:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_nightly_build_on_Fedora

Offline SharkCZ

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 09:28:56 am »
The FC5 packages (for i386, x86_64 and ppc) were just built and should be available from the Extras repository tomorrow. There will be no FC4 packages in Extras because it reached its End-Of-Life. I plan to release some of the nigtly builds until the final 1.0 is reached and then follow the releases of C::B.

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 09:47:35 am »
The FC5 packages (for i386, x86_64 and ppc) were just built and should be available from the Extras repository tomorrow. There will be no FC4 packages in Extras because it reached its End-Of-Life. I plan to release some of the nigtly builds until the final 1.0 is reached and then follow the releases of C::B.

Cool, it's just that the nightly builds say "CB_20060914_rev2976_fc4+5.rpm" right in the file name so I was assuming that they would still work on Fedora Core 4 as well as 5 ?

And we have Fedora Core 6 coming out shortly, so it's still a good idea to avoid having the current release version (3,4,5,6) in the name of the wiki page and instructions etc...

Offline SharkCZ

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 10:01:16 am »

Cool, it's just that the nightly builds say "CB_20060914_rev2976_fc4+5.rpm" right in the file name so I was assuming that they would still work on Fedora Core 4 as well as 5 ?
The nightly builds from codeblocks.org should work on both FC4 and FC5 and maybe even FC3 or FC6. They have staticly linked wxGTK, don't they?
The Fedora Extras packages are built for each Fedora release with wxGTK (also available in Extras) dynamicly linked. And I will use the same source code revision as in the nigthly builds, so bug hunting should be easier (larger user base with the same sources).

And we have Fedora Core 6 coming out shortly, so it's still a good idea to avoid having the current release version (3,4,5,6) in the name of the wiki page and instructions etc...
Sure.

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:19 am »
The nightly builds from codeblocks.org should work on both FC4 and FC5 and maybe even FC3 or FC6. They have staticly linked wxGTK, don't they?

I think they might, but I haven't really checked... Worked fine though :-)

The Fedora Extras packages are built for each Fedora release with wxGTK (also available in Extras) dynamicly linked.

Makes perfect sense, and sounds like a good idea and nice complement.

I'm doing something similar for the Mac, where there is a "stand-alone" version that includes wxMac (and requirements) and a "MacPorts" SVN version that links towards the libraries they offer for wxWidgets and the other requirements...
So you can grab either the nightly build pkg, or do an upgrade with the system.

Don't have the resources for every night builds or binary packages, though.

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 11:01:50 am »
No they're dynamically linked. Since glibc is downwards compatible and there are no option (de-)activated in the wxGTK package of FC5 that make the libs incompatible, it works also with dynamically linked binaries, when I compile it on FC4 :D The other way (building on FC5 and running on FC4) causes problems because of the newer glibc of FC5.

I also added some instructions for FC4 to the wiki (I thought I already did it :?)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:04:43 am by daniel2000 »
Nightly builds for openSUSE