Author Topic: The 08 september 2006 build is out.  (Read 35380 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 08 september 2006 build is out.
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:09:09 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 08 September 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• Improved the document encoding detector
  • When creating a new empty file, the user is asked to add it in the active project (old behaviour re-instated)
  • Avoid duplicate entries when code-completing #includes (bug #8692)
  • Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:54:27 pm by killerbot »

Offline dronT78

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The 08 september 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:35:25 pm »
Really great work. T H A N K   Y O U  C::B Team!

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 08:46:50 pm »
Windows ANSI build is here.

Offline Insubordinate

• Dunghill Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:06:13 pm »
Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Does this apply to everybody or do you have to specifically choose UTF16 encoding somehow? (I'm assuming files are created/saved as ASCII by default?)

Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  :D

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:22:45 pm »
Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Does this apply to everybody or do you have to specifically choose UTF16 encoding somehow? (I'm assuming files are created/saved as ASCII by default?)

Applies if you 're editing UTF16, UTF16LE, UTF16BE, UTF32, UTF32LE or UTF32BE files.
C::B doesn't allow you to change the file's encoding, so files are saved in the encoding they had when opened.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 09:25:55 pm »
Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  :D

(emphasis added by me)

Many people seem to think so and I must say I 'm confused as to "why"...
Mind telling us why you thought the project had stalled?
I mean, the main site has a prominent link to the nightly builds on the main page, right next to the link to the last stable build.
The forums are also hyper-active ;).
Any insight of your thoughts will be very helpful. Thanks :).
Be patient!

Offline Insubordinate

• Dunghill Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:37:33 pm »
C::B doesn't allow you to change the file's encoding, so files are saved in the encoding they had when opened.
Ok, but in wich format are new files created from within Code::Blocks (File->New->Empty File)?

Mostly force of habbit I think. I used to just skim the bit that says "Latest official release:". Though, I've been using nightly's for many months now. Maybe it was'nt so obvious in the past (can't remember how the page was setup back then, but I remember the site got a face lift at some point)? Mostly I'd just attribute it to my own careless oversight. :lol:

Now that I look at the front page it seems obvious enought. Perhaps a date indicating the last nightly build date would make it seem more "current"? Though I realise that would be kinda redundant with a nightly build

Alturin

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:50:28 pm »

(emphasis added by me)

I mean, the main site has a prominent link to the nightly builds on the main page, right next to the link to the last stable build.
The forums are also hyper-active ;).
Any insight of your thoughts will be very helpful. Thanks :).

I remember thinking the same when I first saw the C::B site, I think that was mainly caused due to the main-site being really out to date on a couple of places, like: the news thingy, the improvements and known bugs.

But mainly, it's the "Latest official release: 1.0rc2, Oct 25, 2005" standing out above everything else.
Ofcourse, there's the "Development snapshots are also available, one each night (try them, they 're pretty stable and unbelievably feature-rich!)." below it, but I thought like "suuure, latest release is almost a year ago, this one's dead, they just didn't remove that message".

What would be like, superb, is a message underneath that "Latest official release", reading: "Latest nightly build"?

Note: I'm not trying to critisize anything, just trying to explain what I thought.

Offline Kazade

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:03:12 pm »
  • When creating a new empty file, the user is asked to add it in the active project (old behaviour re-instated)
  • Avoid duplicate entries when code-completing #includes (bug #8692)

THANKYOU! With these 2 things now C::B does EVERYTHING that I want!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:37:51 pm »
Insubordinate and Alturin, thanks for the info :).
Be patient!

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:17:27 pm »
Quote from: Insubordinate on Today at 03:06:13 PM
Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  Very Happy

As they in say politics (and maybe web pages), perception is all.
That date sticking out there sure looks like it applies to the whole paragraph.

I've been wondering why so many noobs would pick an old RC2 over a nightly build. The answer to myself was not charitable. But now I'm thinking otherwise. They inadvertently may have been given a wrong impression.

How about taking "Latest" off Official Release, making it a subscripted note at the bottom. Then place the "Latest" Nightly Build notice above it with a word like "Strongly suggested" or some such.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:46:51 am by Pecan »

Offline Szabadember

• That's me!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
This nightly is *unusable*! It can't decode my ASCII cpp files correctly (i only see blocks )
Reverting to yesterday's build...

the problem occurs only in my CPP files, C, H files are not affected, AND ONLY if i open a project if i open a CPP file as a single file, everything is ok, if opening a project with cpp files, it won't decode it correctly, strange :|

Another strange thing: in the file properties in CodebLocks, the number of lines is displayed corectly, but the file is displayed as a 2 line file consisting of inly [] like characters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:32:25 am by Szabadember »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 12:36:25 am »
I can confirm this, probably you have some special characters in your file.

@Yiannis : in windows (Xp) : open up the Cb project and open the tinyxml sources --> tinystr.cpp will show some of those strange blocks (not all, I have another project with the latest sources from TinyXml and then the entire file is blocks ...)

[EDIT] the amount and the kind of strange characters is not deterministic, tryingdifferent times -> more or less and other weird characters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:40:35 am by killerbot »

Encryptor

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 02:27:04 am »
The first time when I tried Code::Blocks I too thought the project was dead. And indeed, it's because of that last release date. Fortunately, a user on another forum posted that nightly builds are still developed. People like me don't rush to check the nightly builds, mainly because I want to use software that is at least declared to be stable. Development versions are not something appealing to try, if the software is new to you ;)

Offline jarro_2783

• Project Freedom
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 02:52:31 am »
I pretty much thought the same thing until I posted a problem on the forum and someone told me that the nightly builds were actually very good. I think it's that date sitting above the "nightly builds are available..." think, it stands out too much.

Offline orefa

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 03:38:47 am »
What would be like, superb, is a message underneath that "Latest official release", reading: "Latest nightly build"?

Yes, new wording would help! Technically savvy people are notoriously poor at communicating with the public at large, a normal hazard of the profession.

Along these lines I suggest not to use the term "build" when refering to the latest version. Just use "version". When I first read "nightly build" I wondered why developpers were reporting on their workouts. I have programmed for years but never used that term to refer to a version. Well, maybe that's just me. But also the term may not be clear to a number of visitors who just started programming in C++ and don't know what it refers to.

While we're on the subject, since RC2 turned out not to be a release candidate after all, why not take a small step back on nomenclature and a giant step forward in useability: publish a new Beta! Forget about the so-called RC2 from over a year ago. Release today's version as a new "Beta 20060908" for example. Then provide the same link to lead visitors to the nightly builds (as daily Beta versions). The world needs to know!  :lol:

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 09:14:47 am »
I can confirm this, probably you have some special characters in your file.

@Yiannis : in windows (Xp) : open up the Cb project and open the tinyxml sources --> tinystr.cpp will show some of those strange blocks
you can get around this when you do "Edit->File Encoding->ASCII" and confirm the reload dialog

then CB loads the file and shows correctly.

i had this issue since a long time, when i got source code files with swedish characters in it ...
with forced ascii encoding, some of them get probably mismatched, but it mostly doesn't harm
because they are all in comments (which i even can't read)
but you can save the file and work with it.

annoying is only, that you have to do this everytime when opening this file ...
maybe we could add a file encoding property to the *.layout file
when the user had choosen a specific encoding from the available encodings ?

brgds, tiwag
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:19:51 am by tiwag »

Offline Kazade

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 09:47:22 am »
I don't know what changed last night, but now the save bug (where it crashes on CTRL+S) on linux is back! It was fixed in the previous build. :(

Poobah

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 02:12:43 pm »
-File->New Project
-Pick any project
-Project->Properties
-Select "Targets" tab"
-Output filename reads "\test.exe" assuming that the project was called "test".

Shouldn't it default to ".\test.exe" in this case?

torikx

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 02:30:01 pm »

If you dont mind me barging in, I'd like to comment as well:

I think the most prominent reason is the absence of a stable release for almost a year following something labeled as a Release Candidate.
It's my understanding that an RC is supposed to have no more features added, have no grave bugs to be fixed, have a life no longer than several months during which its developers focus solely on elimination of showstoppers and rough edges until final release.
It's also my understanding that a Nightly Build conveys a bleeding-edge, alpha state of software. I find the statement "pretty stable nightly builds" contradictory, it's like an oxymoron. If you think it's stable/usable, then take it out of that cage and release under a name that'll attract people (no other RCs, thank you).

Correct me if wrong, but it seems C::B is like trapped in a cycle of adding features, fixing bugs, adding more features, fixing more bugs... I think it's time to stop adding features, focus on bugs, drop features for now whose bugs need lots of effort to fix and prepare for a final release.
Please take no offense, just my 2c.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 04:27:31 pm »
Currently I believe CB is working toward 1.0 based on this roadmap.  There is no developers mailing list (and I don't watch the IRC channel) so I can't tell exactly what is planned, but from the roadmap we are pretty close to feature freeze.  Mandrav has basically finished the Code-Completion issues and I believe Thomas is slaving away at the XML based compilier system.

I too agree that we need to chnage the version number scheme but this topic has been argued to death here on the forums.  After RC1, we basically went back to alpha because Mandrav thought there were to many "show stoppers".  It would almost make sense to release Code::Blocks 0.5.0 (or 0.9.0 or any 0.x.0) on the website with an explanation that its a developement release but much better than RC1.

Why Nightly Builds?  Because that's what they are called, they are not new versions because a version implies a release.  Nightly builds are basically for users who don't want to have to compile from SVN but want to try out all the new wizbang features.  Firefox does the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 04:46:53 am by Game_Ender »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 06:02:57 pm »
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about the main website.
We have now replaced the link to 1.0rc2 in the front page with a link to the downloads page, which has been also updated with a few words describing what's going on.
Let's hope people won't get confused about the project's activity anymore :).
Be patient!

Encryptor

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 08:32:42 pm »
Very nice update of the Download page. A long and clear explanation of what's going on. This should reduce dramatically the number of confused users. ;)

torikx

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 10:55:53 pm »
In editor settings, mouse drag scrolling fonts are terribly small (this is linux xfce desktop, wxgtk-2.6.3)
Anyone having this problem?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 02:01:19 am »
In editor settings, mouse drag scrolling fonts are terribly small (this is linux xfce desktop, wxgtk-2.6.3)

On my windows and ubuntu linux, the dragScroll dialog font is the same size as the icon titles font.

Yet, the fonts look different sizes on your system.

I don't know what to do about that.

takeshimiya

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 05:24:36 am »

On my windows and ubuntu linux, the dragScroll dialog font is the same size as the icon titles font.

Yet, the fonts look different sizes on your system.

I don't know what to do about that.

Hint, look at dragscrollcfg.cpp, you're calling SetFont() in various places. :)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 06:29:58 am »

Well... yes. That's the original wxSmith code.
Are you suggesting to not use SetFont() at all?

Or are you suggesting to set larger fonts for xfce linux, but have it look huge on windows and ubuntu?

I'm not very font savey.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:34:43 am by Pecan »

takeshimiya

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 08:03:18 am »

Well... yes. That's the original wxSmith code.
Are you suggesting to not use SetFont() at all?

Or are you suggesting to set larger fonts for xfce linux, but have it look huge on windows and ubuntu?

I'm not very font savey.

I'm suggesting that if you're goint to use SetFont(), take system font's settings (ie. don't hardcode "Arial").
But in this case it's better to remove all of them, same applies for SetBackgroundColour(), etc, it is not required and it's using a different color than what should be. :D

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 11:47:14 am »

this version doesn't work (at least on my) Win98-SE,
because it wants SHGetfolderPath exported from shell32.dll,
which isn't supported on W98

i can't understand why people create, announce and host such builds
and are not doing a simple testrun if it works  :?

really sloppy ...

btw. i solved the issue and will post the solution in another thread ...

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 01:01:36 pm »
I'm suggesting that if you're goint to use SetFont(), take system font's settings (ie. don't hardcode "Arial").
But in this case it's better to remove all of them, same applies for SetBackgroundColour(), etc, it is not required and it's using a different color than what should be. :D

Thanks, I'll work on that.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 04:12:59 pm »
Re: Config fonts too small on some Linux systems

* DragScroll v0.28 Commited 2006/09/11
- Removed all SetFont() calls
- Removed SetBackgroundColor() calls

sethjackson

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 05:58:55 pm »

this version doesn't work (at least on my) Win98-SE,
because it wants SHGetfolderPath exported from shell32.dll,
which isn't supported on W98

i can't understand why people create, announce and host such builds
and are not doing a simple testrun if it works  :?

really sloppy ...

btw. i solved the issue and will post the solution in another thread ...

Sorry tiwag. :(

Anyways thanks for fixing it. :D

EDIT:

BTW I'm building the ANSI build on XP. ;)
So there really is no way for me to tell if it works on Win 98 or not (If there is would you mind telling me???).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:12:20 pm by sethjackson »

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 06:50:04 pm »
All this time the ansi build did work fine under Window ME. And btw, sethjackson started to post these ansi builds one/two months ago, how come nobody tried it until now? Nobody's interested or everyone has Windows Millennium.
(i'm not criticizing your work, sethjackson!)

So there really is no way for me to tell if it works on Win 98 or not (If there is would you mind telling me???).

You can install Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (freeware  :o ) and if you have an old windows me/windows 98 installation cd you can test it there :)

sethjackson

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 06:54:32 pm »
Actaully I believe some people have tried it (on 98). I even tried it myself albeit on XP.....

Thanks for the link (shoulda thought of virtual PC duh), but that is for mac......

I think you meant this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:56:37 pm by sethjackson »

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 06:56:28 pm »

sethjackson

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 06:57:20 pm »

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 08:19:46 pm »
tha ansi build doesn't work on W98 .

crashes all the time  :shock:  :x  :shock:  :x

* at PluginManager::GetConfigurationPanels
   when trying to open the menu "Settings->Editor"
* start Building with backticked ` ` commands
* when codecompletion is enabled

no thanks, W98 is really out  :?

the bad thing is, my laptop has only Win98 and i go to vaction tomorrow ...
(need a new laptop before next vacation  :x )

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 08:21:43 pm »
BTW I'm building the ANSI build on XP. ;)
i was building on XP too, tested it in a VMware win98-box,

real test on my old laptop (see above, doesn't work  :( )

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 09:17:30 pm »
tha ansi build doesn't work on W98 .

crashes all the time  :shock:  :x  :shock:  :x

* at PluginManager::GetConfigurationPanels
   when trying to open the menu "Settings->Editor"
* start Building with backticked ` ` commands
* when codecompletion is enabled

no thanks, W98 is really out  :?

the bad thing is, my laptop has only Win98 and i go to vaction tomorrow ...
(need a new laptop before next vacation  :x )

Check the logs. Sounds like it's picking up wrong DLLs.
Be patient!

Poobah

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:59 am »
-File->New Project
-Pick any project
-Project->Properties
-Select "Targets" tab"
-Output filename reads "\test.exe" assuming that the project was called "test".

Shouldn't it default to ".\test.exe" in this case?