Author Topic: The 08 september 2006 build is out.  (Read 35336 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 08 september 2006 build is out.
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:09:09 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 08 September 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060908_rev2963_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• Improved the document encoding detector
  • When creating a new empty file, the user is asked to add it in the active project (old behaviour re-instated)
  • Avoid duplicate entries when code-completing #includes (bug #8692)
  • Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:54:27 pm by killerbot »

Offline dronT78

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The 08 september 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:35:25 pm »
Really great work. T H A N K   Y O U  C::B Team!

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 08:46:50 pm »
Windows ANSI build is here.

Offline Insubordinate

• Dunghill Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:06:13 pm »
Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Does this apply to everybody or do you have to specifically choose UTF16 encoding somehow? (I'm assuming files are created/saved as ASCII by default?)

Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  :D

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:22:45 pm »
Fixed bug with saving UTF16 files (since last encoding-related commit). Please be *really* careful with this feature. It still is *not* solid, so avoid editing files for which you have no backup available

Does this apply to everybody or do you have to specifically choose UTF16 encoding somehow? (I'm assuming files are created/saved as ASCII by default?)

Applies if you 're editing UTF16, UTF16LE, UTF16BE, UTF32, UTF32LE or UTF32BE files.
C::B doesn't allow you to change the file's encoding, so files are saved in the encoding they had when opened.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 09:25:55 pm »
Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  :D

(emphasis added by me)

Many people seem to think so and I must say I 'm confused as to "why"...
Mind telling us why you thought the project had stalled?
I mean, the main site has a prominent link to the nightly builds on the main page, right next to the link to the last stable build.
The forums are also hyper-active ;).
Any insight of your thoughts will be very helpful. Thanks :).
Be patient!

Offline Insubordinate

• Dunghill Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:37:33 pm »
C::B doesn't allow you to change the file's encoding, so files are saved in the encoding they had when opened.
Ok, but in wich format are new files created from within Code::Blocks (File->New->Empty File)?

Mostly force of habbit I think. I used to just skim the bit that says "Latest official release:". Though, I've been using nightly's for many months now. Maybe it was'nt so obvious in the past (can't remember how the page was setup back then, but I remember the site got a face lift at some point)? Mostly I'd just attribute it to my own careless oversight. :lol:

Now that I look at the front page it seems obvious enought. Perhaps a date indicating the last nightly build date would make it seem more "current"? Though I realise that would be kinda redundant with a nightly build

Alturin

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:50:28 pm »

(emphasis added by me)

Many people seem to think so and I must say I 'm confused as to "why"...
I mean, the main site has a prominent link to the nightly builds on the main page, right next to the link to the last stable build.
The forums are also hyper-active ;).
Any insight of your thoughts will be very helpful. Thanks :).

I remember thinking the same when I first saw the C::B site, I think that was mainly caused due to the main-site being really out to date on a couple of places, like: the news thingy, the improvements and known bugs.

But mainly, it's the "Latest official release: 1.0rc2, Oct 25, 2005" standing out above everything else.
Ofcourse, there's the "Development snapshots are also available, one each night (try them, they 're pretty stable and unbelievably feature-rich!)." below it, but I thought like "suuure, latest release is almost a year ago, this one's dead, they just didn't remove that message".

What would be like, superb, is a message underneath that "Latest official release", reading: "Latest nightly build"?

Note: I'm not trying to critisize anything, just trying to explain what I thought.

Offline Kazade

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:03:12 pm »
  • When creating a new empty file, the user is asked to add it in the active project (old behaviour re-instated)
  • Avoid duplicate entries when code-completing #includes (bug #8692)

THANKYOU! With these 2 things now C::B does EVERYTHING that I want!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:37:51 pm »
Insubordinate and Alturin, thanks for the info :).
Be patient!

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:17:27 pm »
Quote from: Insubordinate on Today at 03:06:13 PM
Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you so much for these nightly builds. I thought the project had stalled untill I discovered them. Must say I'm impressed with the update rate.  Very Happy

As they in say politics (and maybe web pages), perception is all.
That date sticking out there sure looks like it applies to the whole paragraph.

I've been wondering why so many noobs would pick an old RC2 over a nightly build. The answer to myself was not charitable. But now I'm thinking otherwise. They inadvertently may have been given a wrong impression.

How about taking "Latest" off Official Release, making it a subscripted note at the bottom. Then place the "Latest" Nightly Build notice above it with a word like "Strongly suggested" or some such.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:46:51 am by Pecan »

Offline Szabadember

• That's me!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
This nightly is *unusable*! It can't decode my ASCII cpp files correctly (i only see blocks )
Reverting to yesterday's build...

the problem occurs only in my CPP files, C, H files are not affected, AND ONLY if i open a project if i open a CPP file as a single file, everything is ok, if opening a project with cpp files, it won't decode it correctly, strange :|

Another strange thing: in the file properties in CodebLocks, the number of lines is displayed corectly, but the file is displayed as a 2 line file consisting of inly [] like characters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:32:25 am by Szabadember »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 12:36:25 am »
I can confirm this, probably you have some special characters in your file.

@Yiannis : in windows (Xp) : open up the Cb project and open the tinyxml sources --> tinystr.cpp will show some of those strange blocks (not all, I have another project with the latest sources from TinyXml and then the entire file is blocks ...)

[EDIT] the amount and the kind of strange characters is not deterministic, tryingdifferent times -> more or less and other weird characters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:40:35 am by killerbot »

Encryptor

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 02:27:04 am »
The first time when I tried Code::Blocks I too thought the project was dead. And indeed, it's because of that last release date. Fortunately, a user on another forum posted that nightly builds are still developed. People like me don't rush to check the nightly builds, mainly because I want to use software that is at least declared to be stable. Development versions are not something appealing to try, if the software is new to you ;)

Offline jarro_2783

• Project Freedom
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 02:52:31 am »
I pretty much thought the same thing until I posted a problem on the forum and someone told me that the nightly builds were actually very good. I think it's that date sitting above the "nightly builds are available..." think, it stands out too much.