Author Topic: The 02 september 2006 build is out.  (Read 22379 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 02 september 2006 build is out.
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:23:56 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 02 September 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060902_rev2943_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060902_rev2943_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060902_rev2943_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• Added hack to fix toolbar sizes for toolbars that contain windows controls. This hack is automatically applied on all Windows versions prior to XP. An environment option has been added to enable this hack for XP too. This is needed only if you run C::B *without* a manifest file in XP
  • Fixed a couple of issues when updating the symbols browser
  • Added "All class methods without implementation" in editor's context menu ("Insert" submenu). This revealed a bug in the parser, regarding return values with namespaces. So expect it to output code that doesn't compile in these cases (until the parser bug is fixed)
  • Fixed bad flickering caused the moment the code-completion list was shown. This was caused by a hack in wxScintilla. The side-effect is that the selected word in the list is highlighted in gray instead of blue (standard colors) but this shouldn't be too much of a problem
  • Removed the environment option to enabling the toolbar hack for XP. It is now completely auto-detected if the hack is needed, for all Windows versions
  • autodetect compilers : allow only 1 selection for default Compiler

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:22:07 am by killerbot »

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
Re: The 02 september 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 11:43:52 pm »
  • Added hack to fix toolbar sizes for toolbars that contain windows controls. This hack is automatically applied on all Windows versions prior to XP. An environment option has been added to enable this hack for XP too. This is needed only if you run C::B *without* a manifest file in XP

Great thanks, this works beautifully! :)
this space is for rent

thotypous

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:17:52 am »
I'm having the same problems Kazade reported with the recent SVN snapshots. C::B crashes when I save a file. It just avoids the use of C::B, because saving files is essential  :lol:. Just compiled from sources the latest revision from SVN and the problem persists.  :(

Keep up the good work with C::B  :D

P.S.: The bug always happens. I just try to save a file and it crashes, everytime.

I'm using Gentoo Linux with wx2.6.2-unicode and C::B compiled directly from SVN. In the last days, the bug always happens in the same way.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 03:24:31 am by thotypous »

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:43:23 am »
Have you turned off CodeCompletetion?  With all the updates to it in the recent past its has not been fully debugged on Linux.  I can save files just fine with CB on Ubuntu wxGTK 2.6.1.

caposite

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:23:39 am »
Code::Blocks is getting more and more unusable on my SuSE Linux box lately. I crashes at any possible occasion. If I resize the symbol browser, it freezes. If I edit the code completion settings while I have an open project, it crashes. After some time (the time it takes for the parser to look at all my files) it freezes. Also, all the items in the symbol browser are always grayed and can't be used. For now, Code::Blocks is kinda unusable for me.

Nice work with the windows version it's now pretty nice on this OS, but I prefer to program on Linux and it is crashing way too much for me to be able to program decently.

Looks like the Linux side didn't get a lot of attention these days and I hope you'll look at the Linux problems soon.

Continue your great work, Code::Block is on the way of being the best C++ IDE (for me at least :P).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:30:09 am by caposite »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 09:48:08 am »
don't panic, don't panic. We are working on CC and did most of our work on windows (the biggest group of users). On windows we got huge improvements for code completion, but as we hear, and we are certainly aware of it, it is not so nice on linux. So linux users, just disable the code completion for now, those things will get fixed in the near future. Just give us some time ;-)

Offline sque

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:24 am »
don't panic, don't panic. We are working on CC and did most of our work on windows (the biggest group of users). On windows we got huge improvements for code completion, but as we hear, and we are certainly aware of it, it is not so nice on linux. So linux users, just disable the code completion for now, those things will get fixed in the near future. Just give us some time ;-)

Nice news. For the moment I reverted at an older version (27 aug) too as the new ones are really unusable with random bugs not only CC.
Keep up work! :D
Tell me a bug and I 'll tell you two  :twisted:

Encryptor

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:16:13 pm »
An Open Source Project that ignores Linux in favor of Windows... I lived to see this one  :shock:
As if Windows coders don't prefer Visual Studio... or the free version VS Express...
I get more disappointed in C::B everyday. Maybe if I fall asleep for a year, and I come back, C::B will be usable on Linux?  :?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 06:30:33 pm »
An Open Source Project that ignores Linux in favor of Windows... I lived to see this one  :shock:
As if Windows coders don't prefer Visual Studio... or the free version VS Express...
I get more disappointed in C::B everyday. Maybe if I fall asleep for a year, and I come back, C::B will be usable on Linux?  :?

Our sincere apologies sir.
How dared we? Promote windows in favor of linux? Letting the linux version in an unstable state for almost a week? A whole week? The development version?

We 're inexcusable. We rightfully deserve a slap in the face...

Oh, by the way, I never received your patches. What address did you mail them to? :evil:
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

thotypous

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 06:49:17 pm »
Have you turned off CodeCompletetion?  With all the updates to it in the recent past its has not been fully debugged on Linux.  I can save files just fine with CB on Ubuntu wxGTK 2.6.1.

Just disabled CodeCompletion in Settings -> Editor. The problem persists.  :( Always crashes when saving a file.

It happens this way: when I press Ctrl-S or click 'Save', everything looks normal, but after a little delay, the mouse cursor changes to a clock, something changes in the "Code Completion" toolbar (even disabling CodeCompletion), then codeblocks freezes and I have to kill it. Another detail, this message shows up in the console:

Code: text
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x2358f)!

This number in hexadecimal changes everytime the crash occurs.

I will try to tweak a little more the settings and post any news here.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 07:00:32 pm »

Just disabled CodeCompletion in Settings -> Editor. The problem persists.  :( Always crashes when saving a file.

First, you haven't disabled code-completion because "something changes in the "Code Completion" toolbar". If you disable it, you won't have the toolbar.
So, go to "Plugins->Manage plugins" and disable it there (needs an application restart to take effect).

Second, it's a time of joy: I fixed this bug earlier today so if you update your svn working copy this bug will be gone.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

PDEE

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 07:33:31 pm »
An Open Source Project that ignores Linux in favor of Windows... I lived to see this one  Shocked
I get more disappointed in C::B everyday. Maybe if I fall asleep for a year, and I come back, C::B will be usable on Linux?  Confused

You know, i don't know how people have the audacity to say such things. :shock: I wouldn't dare. Considering the developers are doing all this for free and in their own time. There is tons of work to do on code::blocks and trying to keep everyone happy is next to impossible. Give the developers a break, they will get it done in their own time. Hats off to the developers for a great job.  :)

Offline Kazade

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 09:41:17 pm »

You good sir are an idiot.

This is (as advertised) a unstable development version. Making the code completion work for the largest audience is the logical thing to do irrelevant of whether its on an open source operating system or not. When you can write an cross-platform IDE with as much functionality as this one, then you can have an opinion, until then just be grateful you are getting something for free.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 09:53:33 pm »

Well, sigh. We don't favor any OS above another. But there are much more windows users then linux ones, so the number of feedback will be bigger in that corner. And I hope we would be able to guess your favorite dirstro of linux, cause otherwise we were again favoring the wrong one.
By the way, what's so dreadfully wrong with vi ;-)

Secundo, why would people prefer Visual Studio, some do, others don't. There are a bunch of good things to say about VS, but also a lot of bad things. And we all know how fast M$ is for fixing bugs. In the meantime the bug that was *so* offending you has already been fixed.

On the risk of stepping on your toes : maybe it's a good idea you fell asleep for a year, at least you won't be offending people putting their heart into this project. Because some of the developers (and rest a sure I am not talking about myself) deserve the upmost respect, it's incredible what they are doing, and sometimes and a very high speed.

I do hope you realize that with such an attitude you are just breaking down open source projects instead of supporting them.
Nevertheless, I'd like to offer you an alternative : install wine, go buy Visual Studio and run it in Wine.

thotypous

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 12:38:37 am »
Second, it's a time of joy: I fixed this bug earlier today so if you update your svn working copy this bug will be gone.

Just tested. Now it seems to be ok.  :D Thanks and keep up the good work, C::B is sincerely the best C++ IDE available!  :D