Author Topic: The 29 august 2006 build is out.  (Read 18214 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 29 august 2006 build is out.
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:20:27 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 29 August 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060829_rev2921_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060829_rev2921_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060829_rev2921_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• little clean up in compilergcc and removed incorrect delete at destructor
  • windows crashhandler uses "My documents\cb-crash-recover" folder
      current editor files are saved in a subdirectory of the current date & time
      files with same name are saved with appended increasing numbers
      e.g. main.cpp.001, main.cpp.002, ...
  • New wxSmith:
     * Updated files to compile / debug
     * Commented wxSmith internal wizard
     * Some small cleanups

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • there are several issues with Code Completion (is being redesigned : work in progress)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:36:52 am by killerbot »

Offline Sagrer

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The 29 august 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:32 pm »
downloaded, unpacked, tested...

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3928.msg31026#msg31026 - still same.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 12:01:10 am »
still same.

That would make sense because there were not commits related to Code Completion today.

jmmail

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:07:31 am »
Code Completion is not support "typedef", When ? Did you plan to support this?

Offline manmach

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:27:49 am »
This is the first time I am trying to use wxSmith, but I find it completely unusable. For example:
  • Most of the time the control's area goes black.
  • The properties bar on the right tends to not get redrawn properly.
  • Checking a check mark seems to go unnoticed until some other action makes it redraw, and then it turns out it appears to have been checked after all.

After clicking around for a few seconds, the end result is almost always a crash. Hopefully the new wxSmith is going to be much better and much easier to work with.

I am just wondering though, are there no perfectly acceptable alternatives already? Open source or otherwise?

Offline Jewe

• Fit Trainer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:13 am »
This is the first time I am trying to use wxSmith, but I find it completely unusable.

I have several interesting coversations with mandrav
and the conclusion:
It's hard for byo to work on the old code hunting bugs, when he created the new code for exactly this reason: to be manageable and easy to find/fix bugs.
Yes, wxSmith can crash C::B. But, at the same time, it works fine in most (simple, if you want) cases.
If it helps you, think of wxSmith as a technology preview. It's not a finished product in any way.

in the mean time I'm still waiting for my asdl connection so I can look at the newer version.
even thinking about helping out a little bit  :shock:
that is, if my personal life does not get in the way.  :D

cheers,

jewe
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:56:20 am »
I am just wondering though, are there no perfectly acceptable alternatives already? Open source or otherwise?

expecting a "perfect world" ??? huh  :shock:

but there is a good alternative available

wxformbuilder
http://www.wxformbuilder.org/

works very nice with CB

Offline skirby

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:42:44 am »
Hello, I have reported a small bug with the tooltip in debbuging session (when you put your mouse over a variable)
See http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3919.msg30927#msg30927

My previous example wasn't syntactically correct (problem with cast and pointer).
I have made a small correction but the problem still persits.
So, I think there is really a bug.

Code
#include <windows.h>

int main()
{
  HANDLE hTest;
  int iVar;

iVar = 10;
  hTest = &iVar;

return 0;
}

Could you correct it in a future release.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 10:54:56 am »
i can confirm the bug reported by skirby

Offline JPlaroche

• OMBREBLEU
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 11:00:08 am »
This is the first time I am trying to use wxSmith, but I find it completely unusable.

I have several interesting coversations with mandrav
and the conclusion:
It's hard for byo to work on the old code hunting bugs, when he created the new code for exactly this reason: to be manageable and easy to find/fix bugs.
Yes, wxSmith can crash C::B. But, at the same time, it works fine in most (simple, if you want) cases.
If it helps you, think of wxSmith as a technology preview. It's not a finished product in any way.

in the mean time I'm still waiting for my asdl connection so I can look at the newer version.
even thinking about helping out a little bit  :shock:
that is, if my personal life does not get in the way.  :D

cheers,

jewe

Je ne me sers pas de wxSmith il est trop simpliste,
je préfère de loin wxFormbuilder, dont l'activité est open source et avec le forum nouvellement ouvert il est permis
de penser à des plugins etc.......

Dommage que C::B  ....  bref l' historique oui... mais faut savoir tourner la page....

I do not serve myself any wxSmith it is too simplistic, I prefer by far wxFormbuilder, of which the activity open source and with the forum newly opened it is allowed
thinking about plugins etc. ...... 

Damage that C: : B....  Brief l' historic yes... but is necessary to know to turn the page. ... 
chef de projet MASTER (AS400  RPGILE  C   and SYTEM)

student c++ and wxwidgets for validation acquis (Jean-Pierre) wxformbuilder

Offline ahlongxp

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:38:46 pm »
Hello, I have reported a small bug with the tooltip in debbuging session (when you put your mouse over a variable)
I also noticed this.
ubuntu 8.04
wxWidget 2.8

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 01:21:45 pm »
When I first used wxSmith several months back, it promptly crashed the application. Usually, if something crashes, I don't give it a second try, but for some reason I did here.

In the particular case of wxSmith, I daresay that your judgement is entirely unfair. wxSmith is indeed a lot better than a commercial design program for wxWidgets which I foolishly paid 129 Euros for.
There is another, somewhat cheaper (around 66 Euros) commercial design program which admittedly has more features and supports way more controls (and it is a standalone RAD/IDE), but it is a lot more awkward to use, too.
Compared to wxSmith, I don't see how it justifies its price, I'd never pay for a GUI builder again after using wxSmith.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline manmach

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

In the particular case of wxSmith, I daresay that your judgement is entirely unfair.

Actually, it is not a judgement, but an observation. The workspace keeps forgetting to redraw or draws a dark square. If I can't see the controls, it is indeed unusable for me. I must add I am using the nightly builds. Don't know if that matters, but you might be using a different wxSmith altogether.

Anyway, I hear the author is working on something new, so he must have felt there was room for improvement as well.

As for now, I have been trying wxFormbuilder for a while now and it gets the job done very well. No crashed yet. I can keep Codeblocks and wxFormbuilder open at the same time, make an adjustment in wxFormbuilder, rebuild in Codeblocks and see the result immediately. I can even open the XRC file

One thing I have not been able to fix though is that the dialog is 'pushed down' by the title bar, making the bottom 'drop off'. And I have old style (non-XP) controls. Whereas wxSmith displays a preview of the same XRC just fine.

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:31:22 pm »
One thing I have not been able to fix though is that the dialog is 'pushed down' by the title bar, making the bottom 'drop off'. And I have old style (non-XP) controls. Whereas wxSmith displays a preview of the same XRC just fine.
Can you add this as an bug in the wxFormBuilder issue tracker. Thanks.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline manmach

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 05:32:17 pm »
Are you saying this is a bug in wxFormbuilder? So what exactly is it producing that it should not? Or vice versa?

I will try to add it later. I noticed I need to register and do not have the time right now to figure out exactly what the consequences of that will be.

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:35:44 pm »
Are you saying this is a bug in wxFormbuilder? So what exactly is it producing that it should not? Or vice versa?
I believe that the dialog should display the produced dialog the same as it is once the code is compiled and running. So yes, I think it is a bug.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline manmach

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 07:46:27 am »
I believe that the dialog should display the produced dialog the same as it is once the code is compiled and running. So yes, I think it is a bug.

Actually, I meant, what is it producing in the code that makes it not display the same. Is it missing a property? Or does it miscalculate the dimensions?

I ask, because if you already know, I might temporarily fix the output manually, until a real fix is available.