Author Topic: Team System aka Team Block idea  (Read 25169 times)

MariuszP

Team System aka Team Block idea
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:36:09 am »
Hello,

I'm going to write plugin that will bring some team work functionality into cb. I was thinking about making it a little bit similiar to Team System from Microsoft. TS is based on MSF while I wanted to my plugin to be based on something similiar to RUP or EUP. Key features are:
- making team work on project much much easier by bringing some task management features.
- risk management
- change management
- bugs management
- support for documantation management by providing views for browsing all the available documents for projects.
- integration with Subversion plugin.
- integration with UML plugin that would allow us to put all available uml documentation in the right place.

This are ine fact my first thoughts on that. It is all subject to change. For example I'm thinking if it is right choice to support RUP or any other framework. Maybe it would be much better to give user tool to define his own framework. If so - how should it look like. Is somebody got some ideas please post it here. We can discuss this and decide what should be put in final product.

I assume that this will take some time to write - mainly because I don't have so much spare time to work on it.

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
Re: Team System aka Team Block idea
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:16:21 pm »
its great idea go on

Offline Phatency

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:46:44 pm »
Sounds great, but also alot of work :P I hope you got time for this.

Offline lubos

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:51:13 pm »
relly cool  :D :D

MariuszP

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:48:29 am »
I forgot to mention integrated unit tests. I plan to use either cppTests or cppunit.

I was also thinking about initial planning. When You create new project You don't usually start codeing. First You have to sort things out, create initial use cases, some documantation and so on. Personally i like to use some mind mapping software to sort things out, and to create project overview. So I thought that it could be nice if there would be something like this in Team Block. What do You think about that?

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:26:19 pm »
I forgot to mention integrated unit tests. I plan to use either cppTests or cppunit.

I was also thinking about initial planning. When You create new project You don't usually start codeing. First You have to sort things out, create initial use cases, some documantation and so on. Personally i like to use some mind mapping software to sort things out, and to create project overview. So I thought that it could be nice if there would be something like this in Team Block. What do You think about that?

That would be great, I personally use FreeMind (I hate the Java interface though), be sure to check it's features.

MariuszP

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 08:47:17 pm »
Personally I also use FreeMind. It's good tool, but i prefer MindManager. We are using this in company.
Anyway - I hope I will be able to create simple mind mapping functionality for use in Team Block...

MariuszP

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 09:18:50 am »
Hello again,
I've made a deeper investigation during the weekend and found few issues that I have to figure out. First one is server/client issue. As Team Block will need some kind of server I have to find out what will be most appropriate. I was thinking about integrating this with SVN, but decided that this would be bad idea. Mainly because it would limit TB only to svn, while there are also another products. So right now I'm looking for something that would allow me to build connection between server and client. I was thinking about some kind of Corba or something like that. Maybe I'll give TAO another try, but if somebody knows some good Corba implementations then I would be gratefull for link.

Anyway - I've got some basic papers ready, and now I need to check if all my assumptions are correct. Then I will build some demo and check out how it works and what need to be adjusted.

Btw: I figured out that It would be nice to have some kind of database designer for cb. I plan to use sqlite as main db platform, and I don't know any good tools to sqlite that would work under linux. So i'm thinking about writing one. If I will decide to do so it will also be part of TB package.

takeshimiya

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 09:54:59 am »
Btw: I figured out that It would be nice to have some kind of database designer for cb. I plan to use sqlite as main db platform, and I don't know any good tools to sqlite that would work under linux. So i'm thinking about writing one. If I will decide to do so it will also be part of TB package.

Making a C::B plugin off the SqliteCC code would be even rather trivial :D
http://sqlitecc.sourceforge.net/

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:50:32 am »
Hi,

I personnaly use sqlitebrowser

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But I think i will try sqlitecc
Eran

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 11:13:51 am »
Hi,

I personnaly use sqlitebrowser

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But I think i will try sqlitecc
Eran

It's almost the same, only made in wxWidgets. :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:25:46 am »

Yes, only that it uses a very old version of wxSQLite which doesn't even support unicode.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 11:46:19 am »

Yes, only that it uses a very old version of wxSQLite which doesn't even support unicode.
Mmh, I saw an encoding menu showing UTF-8, are you sure?
I hadn't used it with unicode databases before so I don't know.
BTW it shouldn't be that difficult to update it to wxsqlite3 (that will have to be done anyways), or at least aknowledge the author by submitting a feature request.

I would be happy with having the current "non-unicode?" version for the moment.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 11:58:16 am »

Mmh, I saw an encoding menu showing UTF-8, are you sure?

Yes, return values and arguments of functions are "char*". This fact alone makes it impossible to build without editing everything...

I would be happy with having the current "non-unicode?" version for the moment.

Sure you can. Just go at their site and download. But if you 're going to make a plugin for Code::Blocks, you do need unicode.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread any longer :).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 12:25:11 pm »
Sure you can. Just go at their site and download. But if you 're going to make a plugin for Code::Blocks, you do need unicode.
True :P
The "submit a feature request" route will be better then (only if SF woulnd't give that much 500 - Internal Server Errors :/).

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread any longer :).

Right, so back on topic:

MariuszP, about "bugs management", do you plan to make a bugtracking system?
If that's so, a very good (and comfortable) solution would be to make a server-client (C++) C::B bugtracking plugin with an sqlite/mysql backend, and another implementation of the client in PHP, so that the bugtracking data can be viewed from both inside C::B local/remotely and from the web.

I don't know any free bugtracking software that can do that, and I can imagine it will be a very handy addition.

If you're looking after a very popular good inspiration (which seems to do most of the key features do you want to do), check out trac: it's a bugtracking system which integrates extremely nice with SVN, a Wiki, and Roadmap/Timeline management.