Author Topic: Combining CodeBlocks and WxDevCPP  (Read 6809 times)

Shaba1

Combining CodeBlocks and WxDevCPP
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:13:28 am »
I am a new C++ programmer. Although I dabbled in C in the mid 90s. I also a an intermediate level Java programmer. I just download wxDevCpp.(Dev CPP Core 4.9.9.2, Form Designer Version 6.8)

Is the a way of using code blocks at the IDE/front in to this compiler WITHOUT destroying the wxDevCpp interface?

Thanks in Advance.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Combining CodeBlocks and WxDevCPP
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:07:03 am »
Yes its called wxSmith a wxWidgets RAD pluggin for Code::Blocks.  Do a forum search, and notice that it comes installed by default with the nightlies on windows.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:08:26 am »
Not 100% sure that was what he was asking.

I understand you want to use the gcc compiler that came with wxDevCpp with Code::Blocks? That is possible without any special changes. The only thing that you will possibly have to do is specify the path that points to the compiler.

If you want to use the Form Designer component with Code::Blocks, no, that does not work. But there is wxSmith as Game Ender pointed out, and using this will of course not destroy Form Designer.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Shaba1

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 01:29:41 am »

I understand you want to use the gcc compiler that came with wxDevCpp with Code::Blocks? That is possible without any special changes. The only thing that you will possibly have to do is specify the path that points to the compiler.

If you want to use the Form Designer component with Code::Blocks, no, that does not work. But there is wxSmith as Game Ender pointed out, and using this will of course not destroy Form Designer.

EXACTLY what I wanted thomas. Thank you for taking the time to READ AND answer the question. I would like to ask you some other ones if I get stuck at some point.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 05:59:27 am »
Sorry I did not understand your question, didn't quite understand the wording.  I also did not mean to imply you should of searched for the answer to your question, I was saying you should do a forum search on wxSmith to find our more about it.  I guess you just wanted to know if Code::Blocks and wxDevCpp could share compilers, if that was it Thomas answered your question.

Shaba1

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:09:00 pm »
Sorry I did not understand your question, didn't quite understand the wording.  I also did not mean to imply you should of searched for the answer to your question, I was saying you should do a forum search on wxSmith to find our more about it.  I guess you just wanted to know if Code::Blocks and wxDevCpp could share compilers, if that was it Thomas answered your question.

Game_Ender I did not mean to imply that YOU did not read the question. Nor did I take it as you were telling me to search the forums for the answer. Actually you gave me a place to start. I just sometimes get frustrated with tech forums(I have long since lost count of the number of them that I belong to),where a person does not READ the question and answers everything EXCEPT the question asked. I also see the other side of the problem where people come in to a tech forum and ask a question that is so obvious that you can tell that they did not read the manual/documentation or do even a rudimentary search.

Shaba1

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 06:21:55 pm »

Thomas I will get to the wxSmith part later. Can you tell me step by step and with possible screen shots how to point code::blocks at the mingw compliler,linker and insight debugger that comes with devC++