Author Topic: Something wrong.  (Read 6052 times)

Guidosoft

Something wrong.
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:18:12 am »
OK, I love CodeBlocks. I think it is a wonderful intergrated development environment for C++, but I have a few problems with it.

First of all, the code completion doesn't work period. Actually, I can't even find the place to activate the feature. Seems like it's been removed since previous versions. CodeBlocks needs a good class browser and code completetion that works well on local and global files referenced in the includes. It needs to work quick.

Seccond of all, there are no visual tools that I can use to rapidly develop applications. In a good IDE, I would expect to find visual resource editing features. CodeBlocks has none.

I'm sorry but I simply cannot program unless these two requirments are met. How do you expect me two develop a proper application with a tool that falls short? Do not think I am saying anything against the IDE. I respect you guys as a development and think that CodeBlocks is brilliant. I am just pointing out that we need some things implemented here in order for newbies and pros alike to be comfortable. If they're not, they won't be able to develop anything.

Proper code completion is required for anyone who wants to make a serious application. Nobody can remember all the function names and paramamters and they shouldn't have to continously check a reference. With code hints and popup lists to remember that stuff for them, they should have no problem.

That is all I have to say. I await you response.

Please develop these neccessities quickly and do not tarry. If you'd like, I could join the development team. Well, actually, that's like saying, let me go inside the car to get my keys so we can get in. I can't develop anything without what I need.

Oh yea, and when the popup list lists them, I don't want to see the full thing. Like I don't want to see CMainWnd::~CMainWnd() I just want to see CMainWnd() with a little cube like icon to the left of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:31:47 am by Guidosoft »

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Something wrong.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 05:27:23 am »
Please develop these neccessities quickly and do not tarry. If you'd like, I could join the development team. Well, actually, that's like saying, let me go inside the car to get my keys so we can get in. I can't develop anything without what I need.

This is ridiculous, its not actually that big a deal to keep a reference open in a browser next to you and alt-tab when you need to look up something.  There was a time when this technology did not actually exist, millions of lines of code have been written without code-completion or RAD environments.  Yes they increase productivity but you can actually get work done without it. 

If you truly wanted to help you would suck it up and work without it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:18:16 pm by Game_Ender »

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:10:44 pm »

There are other IDE's out there that may be more to your liking.   Try the Borland system for C++ or
Delph, for examplei.  Of course, you'll have to cough up a few thousand $'s, but if that's no problem, then
you're all set.

C::B has the best bang-for-the-buck ratio of any IDE I've ever seen.  I think the developers should be
allowed to tarry as long as they wish.

Just my 2c.

-- Ron --

Offline cstudent

• Almost regular
    • Cstudent's Help Desk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 05:27:51 pm »

Oh yea, and when the popup list lists them, I don't want to see the full thing. Like I don't want to see CMainWnd::~CMainWnd() I just want to see CMainWnd() with a little cube like icon to the left of it.

Dude, how do you walk around with balls that big?

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:21:04 pm »
>Please develop these neccessities quickly and do not tarry.

You heard the man! Chop chop!

LOL!  :lol:
BigAngryDog.com

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:50 pm »
Lol! I didn't want to answer to this thread, but that was just what I was thinking :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

mdelfede

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
I'm sorry but I simply cannot program unless these two requirments are met.
pfeeewwwww ! :lol:

He MUST be joking, don't see any better explanation  :mrgreen:
Otherwise he couldn't be walking around with such a bigg balls....ehehehehe

Ciao

Max

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:35:57 pm »
This topic is hilarious  :mrgreen: .
Keep 'em coming  :lol:
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:39:19 pm »

Plus, with such a big head, reminds me of the figure "8".

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 03:23:20 am »
This thread was good for a laugh.

Original poster: Code completion actually works pretty well once you configure it to follow #include's.  Under the editor options, there's a section for code completion and the symbols browser.  The second tab adjusts the C++ parser's options.

As for RAD, wxSmith is shipped with the IDE.  Any RAD environment is inherently tied to at least one library or (often) a particular platform, though.  wxWidgets actually has several form designers, at least a couple of which are free as in beer.  Qt ships with Qt designer, which allows you to build your forms into .ui files (which can be processed by qmake) and also setup signals and slots before writing any code.

Microsoft and Borland have certainly designed the best RAD environments.  However, they're insanely bloated and the advanced versions are quite expensive for an individual developer.

I don't see C++ as being a language oriented towards rapid application development, anyway.  C++ is mainly used by people who already have a very good idea of what they're building and how they want to build it.