Author Topic: wxWidgets 2.7.0 Released  (Read 6051 times)

EricKane

wxWidgets 2.7.0 Released
« on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:38 am »
wxWidgets 2.7.0 Released.
Is C::B will change to wx2.7.0?
And what time RC3 can be out?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 06:08:56 am by KaneZZZ »

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: A little question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 06:15:39 am »
I'm downloading wxWidgets 2.7.0 right now. I'll build it and try to compile Code::Blocks with it... and see how it goes :)

I just hope moving to 2.7.0 be smooth, and even better if a few bugs get fixed too. If it causes trouble, the transition will be surely delayed, but if it works fine and killerbot decides to switch, then we'll start getting nightlies compiled with it :wink:

RC3, and it has been said many times, will be ready when it be ready, which means: we have no idea and will not even try to estimate it.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: wxWidgets 2.7.0 Released
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:49:47 am »
Result: useless.

First problem in wxScintilla due to duplicated enum.

Second problem in Propgrid due to return types (int vs unsigned int) and abstract functions.

That's how far I got, and now wxAUI is included in wxWidgets I bet it would cause redefinitions.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:17:22 am »
Is C::B will change to wx2.7.0?
As a general answer, not only for 2.7.0, but for all upcoming releases, it has to be said : no.
We're not switching to a new version of wxWidgets the day after it is released. We have not before and we will not in the future. While we have done so for other third party libraries (for example TinyXML and Scintilla), wxWidgets is not a particularly backwards-compatible thing. You can replace TinyXML 2.1 or 2.2 with 2.4 in about 10 seconds without changing one line of code and without having to worry about breaking anything.
The same cannot be said about wxWidgets. Upgrading to a new version of wxWidgets usually requires numerous code changes, and you are not even guaranteed it works.

Before we can possibly switch to wxWidgets 2.7, we will have to wait until the usual bugfixes are out so it is actually usable, and then we will have to implement the necessary changes and we will have to thoroughly test whether it really works for us. If we switch to 2.7 one day, this is at the very least going to take several weeks.

And what time RC3 can be out?
A similar answer applies: when everything works as we want it. Not before.
This relates to not just the Code::Blocks application, but to several organisational things as well.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 11:34:48 am »
The announcement:

The wxWidgets team is pleased to announce a new release of the mature cross-platform C++ application framework.

This is the first version in the new 2.7 series. Please notice that this series is called "development" and not "stable" solely because compatibility is not assured among between different 2.7 series versions but there are no known issues with the stability of the programs using this version.

There have been many changes since the 2.6 series, please see the change log file included in the distribution for more details. The most significant additions to the GUI part of the libraries were:

- AUI (advanced user interface) library providing dockable windows and much more
- richtext library implementing wxRichTextCtrl
- New wxComboCtrl and wxOwnerDrawnComboBox controls
- New wxTreebook book-like control
- New wxColour/Dir/File/Font/PickerCtrls
- wxHyperlinkCtrl control

So don't expect wx2.7 coming packaged for distros (except for testing maybe).

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:15:27 pm »
i've read somewhere in the past,
that only wxWidgets releases with even versionnumbers ( like 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 ) are stable releases,
releases with odd versionnumbers ( like 2.5, 2.7, ... ) are unstable development releases.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 12:18:06 pm »
odd/even : that's kind of like bugzilla.

But I do think several distros will include it. Fedora and Suse normally ship real new stuff and sometimes even RC's.

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:06:17 pm »
    *  Experimental Ubuntu Dapper packages are available. To use them please add

deb http://apt.tt-solutions.com/ubuntu/ dapper main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update. You can then use
      apt-cache search --names-only wx\*2.7 command to see the available packages.

Please notice that Ubuntu packages are only currently available for x86 architecture.
They are hosting it for Ubuntu Dapper already.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB