Author Topic: Code::BLocks and other IDE's  (Read 7306 times)

pghtech

Code::BLocks and other IDE's
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:57:44 pm »
I figured this would be a good place to ask a general question of what you user's thoughts are on Code::Blocks as compared to other IDE's (i.e. Visual Studio)?

What are some of the things you can expect and not expect with Code::Blocks?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Code::BLocks and other IDE's
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:53:19 pm »
Speed, efficiency, non-bloat, controllable, modifiable, pleasurable.

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:15:41 pm »

pleasurable?  lol
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:27:10 pm »

pleasurable?  lol

Yes, it is pleasing to use. As opposed to annoying to use.

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:19:07 am »

pleasurable?  lol

Yes I agree.
Code::Blocks is cross-platform which is a must have in my eyes. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:51:31 am by sethjackson »

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 12:43:03 am »

I understand... I just had strange ideas of a CB::Lube plugin when I saw "pleasurable" and had to laugh. :D

@sethjackson
I think the cross-platform is one of the major aspects of C::B... including the gdb front-end.

Also, I don't know if this could be filed under "modifiable", but how about extensible?  the primarily plugin-based design makes C::B infinately useful.
3 years until google knows more than god.

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 02:51:18 am »

I understand... I just had strange ideas of a CB::Lube plugin when I saw "pleasurable" and had to laugh. :D

@sethjackson
I think the cross-platform is one of the major aspects of C::B... including the gdb front-end.

Also, I don't know if this could be filed under "modifiable", but how about extensible?  the primarily plugin-based design makes C::B infinately useful.

Right. Most other C++ IDE's aren't cross-platform AFAIK. Well Eclipse is, but it is written in Java IIRC. I think Ajunta may be also. Of course Dev-C++ (well it depends on how you look at it) VS, and XCode aren't cross-platform.

Offline kagerato

• kagerato.net
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 05:50:29 pm »
Right. Most other C++ IDE's aren't cross-platform AFAIK. Well Eclipse is, but it is written in Java IIRC. I think Ajunta may be also. Of course Dev-C++ (well it depends on how you look at it) VS, and XCode aren't cross-platform.

You're right; Dev-C++ isn't cross platform.  It's VCL-based, and the VCL is a win32 wrapper.

As for Anjunta, it depends on too many gnome libraries.  You could get it running on Windows or Mac with some work, but the result would be about ten extra libraries all for one program.  At least you can easily re-use a gtk installation across several applications (gimp, gaim, and gnumeric).

Eclipse works well on Win, Mac, and Linux/GNU.  I've used it on all three and have been relatively impressed at how well the SWT integrates with each platform.  You need a 35+ MiB java runtime for it, though -- might be a problem if you're not building java applications.  Keep in mind that the IDE itself is around 100 MiB.

sethjackson

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 06:08:24 pm »
Eclipse works well on Win, Mac, and Linux/GNU.  I've used it on all three and have been relatively impressed at how well the SWT integrates with each platform.  You need a 35+ MiB java runtime for it, though -- might be a problem if you're not building java applications.  Keep in mind that the IDE itself is around 100 MiB.

That is why I never used Eclipse. I didn't want an IDE written in Java, and I didn't want to have the Java runtime either. Just my personal preference (I dislike Java to put it lightly). :)