Author Topic: Relative path to libraries does not link [SOLVED]  (Read 22174 times)

Offline Edis Krad

• Single posting newcomer
Relative path to libraries does not link [SOLVED]
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:49:51 am »
I have a static library placed in the same directory where the project is. I go to Projects->Build Options, then click on the Linker tab, add the library, and when it asks me if I want to use the relative path, I choose "yes".

I have no problems compiling at all, but when the linker runs, it complains it can't find the library. The only way I found to solve this is by telling Code::Blocks to to keep the path absolute, which is sort of annoying because I have to mirror the complete directory structure starting from root (or change the project properties) each time I want to compile it in another computer. (Something I have to do often, by the way)

Does anybody know what I might be failing to do?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:10:48 am by Edis Krad »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Relative path to libraries does not link
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:54:43 am »
Enable the full build log (in Settings->Compiler and debugger->[select your compiler]->Other) and post it here.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:17:41 pm »
did you go to "Settings->Compiler and Debugger->Global Compiler Settings->Other" and check one/both of the boxes for explicitly adding the current directory to search dirs?

[edit]
Enable the full build log (in Settings->Compiler and debugger->[select your compiler]->Other) and post it here.

This isn't the default setting yet?
[/edit]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:23:45 pm by kidmosey »
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:45:36 pm »
I've had the same problem, and i solved it this way: enter the library full name (eg libsomething.a or something.lib) and then prepend it with these two chars: .\ so the resulting filename will be .\libsomething.a or .\something.lib.

Offline Edis Krad

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:08:12 am »
To answer everyone at once....

Code
-------------- Build: Debug in LaserControl ---------------
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g  -IC:\MinGW\include  -c textwriter.cpp -o obj\Debug\textwriter.o
mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\MinGW\lib  -o bin\Debug\LaserControl.exe obj\Debug\bezier.o obj\Debug\bufferednode.o obj\Debug\clipper.o obj\Debug\commandbuffer.o obj\Debug\main.o obj\Debug\normalizeintensity.o obj\Debug\pipelinenode.o obj\Debug\sc2000.o obj\Debug\textwriter.o    -lfreetype.a
C:\Developement\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.4\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lfreetype.a
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

did you go to "Settings->Compiler and Debugger->Global Compiler Settings->Other" and check one/both of the boxes for explicitly adding the current directory to search dirs?

That's for the compiler, not the linker, but thanks :)

I've had the same problem, and i solved it this way: enter the library full name (eg libsomething.a or something.lib) and then prepend it with these two chars: .\ so the resulting filename will be .\libsomething.a or .\something.lib.

That did it!!. Thanks a lot!

Sastraxi

Re: Relative path to libraries does not link [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:14:32 am »
./ may also work and this would make the solution viable for people using Linux builds

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:47 am »

oops, sorry!  :oops:
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline kingfox

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 11:45:15 am »
So, can I say it is a bug of Code::Blocks ?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »
You don't beed to be sorry, because you were right. This setting is for the compiler *and* the linker process. As it shows all commands issued to the compiler/linker executable in detail.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:56 pm »
So, can I say it is a bug of Code::Blocks ?
I wouldn't say so. You could also include the path to the library in the linker options. Then you don't have to put the .\somelib.a. If the linker cannot find a library then the path is usually just missing. But I wonder if you did that alrteady and I'm missing something...?!
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 01:35:38 pm »
You don't beed to be sorry, because you were right. This setting is for the compiler *and* the linker process. As it shows all commands issued to the compiler/linker executable in detail.
With regards, Morten.
lol, at first I thought the same :lol:, but he wasn't talking about the Full build log setting.

Offline kingfox

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 02:02:17 pm »
I wouldn't say so. You could also include the path to the library in the linker options.

Well. Thanks for your explaination. But I think it's better that C::B can treat the project directory as the default search path of include files and libraries, thus if the items in "link libraries" list have not ".\", C::B will know these kind of items are in project directory.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
But I think it's better that C::B can treat the project directory as the default search path of include files and libraries, thus if the items in "link libraries" list have not ".\", C::B will know these kind of items are in project directory.
I don't believe an IDE that thinks too much is good. Actually this is a wrong project setup. Anyway, for guys like you (not offending here) there is an option - see the image attached.
With regards, Morten.
Ps.: If you are getting deeper into the usage of C::B you will realise that a project can consist of 1..n targets which itself could have a completely different top-level path. So such automation wouldn't be helpful in all cases.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kingfox

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »
Anyway, for guys like you (not offending here) there is an option - see the image attached.
With regards, Morten.

Thank you very much. May I think these two options can add the project's top directory and current compiled file's path into compiler and link path automatically ?

Now I have a project that use a library file named gccdll.a. This library file is in the project's top directory. I add gccdll.a into the "link libraries" list. pls see the first attachment. When I build this project, compiler said:

mingw32-g++.exe -L..\gccdll -LD:\CodeBlocks\lib  -o .\usedll.exe obj\Debug\main.o    -lgccdll.a -lbccppdllvc.a
D:\CodeBlocks\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.4\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lgccdll.a
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have already enabled the two "Explicitely Add ..." options in "Global Compiler Settings" dialog.

Then, I insert ".\" before every item in "link libraries" list shown as the second attachment image, above problem disappeared.

Maybe my idea about these two options is wrong ?

Ps.: If you are getting deeper into the usage of C::B you will realise that a project can consist of 1..n targets which itself could have a completely different top-level path. So such automation wouldn't be helpful in all cases.
Yes, you are right. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:00:59 pm by kingfox »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 03:50:15 pm »
May I think these two options can add the project's top directory and current compiled file's path into compiler and link path automatically ?

Adds the dirs to the compiler's search paths, not the linker's. Does it make sense to add them to the linker's too?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline kingfox

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 04:41:09 pm »
May I think these two options can add the project's top directory and current compiled file's path into compiler and link path automatically ?

Adds the dirs to the compiler's search paths, not the linker's. Does it make sense to add them to the linker's too?

Yes, I think it's useful for me. But no matter even if it doesn't add them to the linker's. May be I didn't express my idea clearly. Actually, I want to know if I don't specify the path to every item (these items are in current project's directory) in "link libraires" listbox, where will C::B look up this item? In others word, where will C::B think these no-path-specified item should be?

When I add the ".\", the command line will be "mingw32-g++.exe -L..\gccdll -LD:\CodeBlocks\lib  -o .\usedll.exe obj\Debug\main.o    .\gccdll.a" (gccdll.a is the item in the "link libraries" listbox and this file is in current project's directory). And when I remove the ".\" of the items in "link libraries" list, the command line will be "mingw32-g++.exe -L..\gccdll -LD:\CodeBlocks\lib  -o .\usedll.exe obj\Debug\main.o  -lgccdll.a". Why C::B add a "-l" before "gccdll.a" ?