Author Topic: Right-Click O-Rama....  (Read 3391 times)

Offline JFalcon

• Single posting newcomer
Right-Click O-Rama....
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:59:04 am »
First off, let me get the congrats out of the way:  *THIS IDE ROCKS MY SOCKS*

There are a few 'un-intuitive' bits, but for the most part, there are a few little UI shortcuts I would like to see.  I'm using the latest nightly builds on Win32 and I tend to do a lot of cut & paste or file searches.

In the case of the right-click in the editor (and perhaps maybe I missed it) it would be nice to have an 'edit' menu from the main (i.e. cut, copy, paste) without having to move the mouse to the 'Edit' menu then select.

I use the "double click" select often in the editor and it would be nice to just right-click when highlighted and easily copy or cut.  Right-clicking anywhere else after something is on the clipboard just begs of having 'paste' as one of the first items too.

Also, when I "double click" the text to select, it would be *awesome* to also add the find in files search (as well as each of its flavors to the pop-up menu for selection).  Many times you can't go directly to declaration/definition/macro/weirdism, so you have to search for it.  I think this would probably give the most "bang for the buck".  But then again, that's just my opinion.

Again, great job, keep it real!

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
Re: Right-Click O-Rama....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:54:59 am »
There are a few 'un-intuitive' bits, but for the most part, there are a few little UI shortcuts I would like to see.  I'm using the latest nightly builds on Win32 and I tend to do a lot of cut & paste or file searches.

In the case of the right-click in the editor (and perhaps maybe I missed it) it would be nice to have an 'edit' menu from the main (i.e. cut, copy, paste) without having to move the mouse to the 'Edit' menu then select.

I'm not sure this can be done and still maintain a decent structure for the context menu.  Imagine taking all the items from the Edit submenu and placing them on the main context menu; before long, the main context menu would be way cluttered and hard to navigate.  I agree that it would be nice, but in most cases, just using shortcut keys is even faster, since you have one hand on the keyboard.

I use the "double click" select often in the editor and it would be nice to just right-click when highlighted and easily copy or cut.  Right-clicking anywhere else after something is on the clipboard just begs of having 'paste' as one of the first items too.

ctrl+V is just as easy, and, once you get used to it, it is much faster.

Also, when I "double click" the text to select, it would be *awesome* to also add the find in files search (as well as each of its flavors to the pop-up menu for selection).  Many times you can't go directly to declaration/definition/macro/weirdism, so you have to search for it.  I think this would probably give the most "bang for the buck".  But then again, that's just my opinion.

Again, try the shortcut keys.  Ctrl+F for simple find and Ctrl+Shift+F for find in files.  Currently highlighted text is placed in the edit box (in most cases).

In closing, it is hard to add everything to the right-click menu, and in most cases will only please (at most) half of the people using C::B.  If they added all of the desiered "quick-access" features to the context menu, you would soon get a reproduction of the main menu (actually, that might be pretty convenient). :D
3 years until google knows more than god.

Poobah

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:02:54 pm »
I agree on the shortcut keys; they're significantly faster than using a mouse. That's how RTS game players manage to multi-task so well -- they memorise all the shortcut keys! It's very productive.

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 03:09:20 pm »

This was discussed before on the forum. The 'edit' menu was moved to a sub to make the context menu less clutterd or something like that. ;)

Anyways I never use the 'edit' menu. Good ole' keyboard shortcuts are faster for me. :)

Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+X
Ctrl+Z

etc.

BTW here is a list of keyboard shortcuts on the wiki.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Keyboard_Shortcuts