Author Topic: compiling wxwidget applications with dependencies  (Read 3751 times)

mrpringle

compiling wxwidget applications with dependencies
« on: July 28, 2006, 07:58:59 am »
Hi,
I have been trying to get wxwidgets working on eclipse with CDT, but have been unable to, so codeblocks is my next option.

I compiled wxwidgets according to the instructions here: http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/CodeBlocks_Setup_Guide, and I have been able to build wxwidget applications, but when I try to run them it says that wxmsw26_gcc_custom.dll is missing. If I put that file in the applications directory I can run the program ok, but the dll file is 7MB and I wouldn't have thought it would be required to run an application build with wxwidgets.

I have also been considering using QT, as I don't really plan to develop commercial applications any time soon. Can anyone give me their opinion on QT vs wxwidgets. I have mostly developed java swing apps, and have made console c++ applications, but never GUI apps. I've heard that wxwidgets is similar to the java AWT style, so I though that it would be suitable.

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
Re: compiling wxwidget applications with dependencies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:36:53 am »
You can also build a static version of wxWidgets to link into your application if you don't want the dll.  The documentation for this should be included with your version of wxWidgets.
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:46:28 pm »
From what I have heard wxWidgets is pretty close to Microsoft's MFC gui library.  QT is a good toolkit too, but I am sure it has pretty sizeable dll as well.  You can compile wxWidgets  to leave out the parts you don't need, and you can also use programs like UPX to make your application smaller on disk.  Search on the forums and you should get some decent information about wxWidgets vs. QT.

mrpringle

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 04:27:48 pm »
thanks for the info. I will try and do some research. I really would like to get wxwidgets working with eclipse, but I think QT integrates a lot easier with eclipse than wxwidgets.

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:07 am »
Qt (the "t" is not capitalized to avoid confusion with QT, quicktime) doesn't really integrate spectacularly well with any IDE.  This is due to the need to run the uic and moc tools before passing any actual source to the compiler.  The best bet for simple programs is usually to use qmake to manage the process.  It can help to have a highly configurable IDE like CodeBlocks, though.

Comparing Qt 4 and wxWidgets 2.6, the compiled libraries are both highly modular and about the same weight (approximately 8 MiB for ALL of the modules and around 5 MiB for just the core components).  From a performance or distribution perspective, therefore, you're not going to see much difference.

Qt takes a bit longer to compile and has a more complicated build process for all but the simplest applications.  The API is solid, and there's functionality for nearly anything you might want in an intermediate level program.

wxWidgets is more of a complete wrapper than Qt.  It uses GTK+ on Linux/GNU, win32 on Windows, and Carbon on Mac OS X.  Qt, on the other hand, tries to avoid using platform specific API when possible.  It does integrate with a few components, like the drawing mechanisms and the Input Method Editors, though.

You should try building a small application with both to examine their APIs, their event handling mechanism, and build processes.