Author Topic: CodeBlocks Not Starting Up  (Read 7741 times)

Offline chikigai

• Multiple posting newcomer
CodeBlocks Not Starting Up
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:50:14 am »
Hello,

I've been using the Nightly Builds for several months now on WinXP.
For some reason, I have suddenly started experiencing a problem where CodeBlocks doesn't start up at all.
The process exists in Task Manager, but stays at 0% CPU usage and never actually starts up the application.
The strange thing is that a rather old development snapshot I compiled myself (saved in a completely different path) starts up no problem.....

Anyone know what might be the cause?

Cheers.

Some additional Info:

The revision of the Development Snapshot which starts up without any problems is 2321.
Also, I have no idea if this information will help, but I used W32dsm to spot at which point the Nightly Build hangs.

With the latest Nightly Builds (I've tried several now), the process is loaded, the program's main entry point is entered, the main thread is created and then hangs.

With the Development Snapshot, the main thread is created and goes on to load "Msftedit.dll".
Several other DLL's are loaded and continues to start up CodeBlocks normally.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:08:18 am by chikigai »
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
Re: CodeBlocks Not Starting Up
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:54:00 am »
Did it stop working when you updated to the latest nightly, or did it just suddenly stop working altogether without you doing anything?
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline chikigai

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:00 am »
Well, to be quite honest, I haven't got a clue!!!

For the past several months, I've been downloading almost every single Nightly Build released.
I delete the files from the older release and copy the new ones in its place.
I performed this with the July 24th build, and ended up with the current situation.
Tried deleting all the files and replaced them with previous Nightly Builds but it makes no difference.
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:33:20 pm »
Well, to be quite honest, I haven't got a clue!!!

For the past several months, I've been downloading almost every single Nightly Build released.
I delete the files from the older release and copy the new ones in its place.
I performed this with the July 24th build, and ended up with the current situation.
Tried deleting all the files and replaced them with previous Nightly Builds but it makes no difference.

Try extracting the nightly to a different place......

Offline chikigai

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:30:17 am »
Tried that too......
Didn't have any effect..... :(

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:46:58 am »
try to download regmon and filemon from sysinternals to see if it is some configuration setting somewhere causing the hang.

An alternative is to just delete all configuration settings and see if that works (but it'd be nice to know the exact cause).
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline chikigai

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:52:28 am »
OK, I think I've managed to find the cause.

The problem occurs on the computer I use at work.
On Monday, some sort of security software (developed by a Japanese company) was automatically installed into my client.
Seems like it was layed out to prevent users from executing Peer-to-Peer software and the like but unfortunately it has also blocked CodeBlocks too......  :(
I have traced the hang to one of the DLLs loaded by the security software.

Not quite sure why the Development Snapshot rev2321 I compiled ages ago works though......
The same security software DLLs are loaded with this as well.....