Author Topic: Feedback on Code::Blocks  (Read 20450 times)

Gena01

Re: Feedback on Code::Blocks
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
Ok. I just installed July 24 nightly on a different computer. Thank you so much for adding the F1 lookup feature. It rocks. :)

And now I am seeing some more things:
12. In my default layout the "Compiler Toolbar" is too short... it's chopping things off at the word "buil"... so I don't get to see the rest of that toolbar and no way to resize or customize it...  (and yes I know it should say build and have dropdown options...) I tried to remove CodeBlocks files in my profile... that didn't help. Any way to fix this? should I need to look for some file to edit/remove? this is not happening on another PC...
13. I went into settings and disabled 80x80 icons... so now in settings I only see text. now the problem is that when I open any of the setting dialogs the first item on the left is not selected. (should be easy to fix this?)
14. If I select File->Open the default is "AngelScript" files (and remove the config files from Application Data\CodeBlocks ) ?
15. Same thing happens if I select "default workspace" instead of blank workspace...

Gena01

sethjackson

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 11:41:06 pm »
Ok. I just installed July 24 nightly on a different computer. Thank you so much for adding the F1 lookup feature. It rocks. :)

12. In my default layout the "Compiler Toolbar" is too short... it's chopping things off at the word "buil"... so I don't get to see the rest of that toolbar and no way to resize or customize it...  (and yes I know it should say build and have dropdown options...) I tried to remove CodeBlocks files in my profile... that didn't help. Any way to fix this? should I need to look for some file to edit/remove? this is not happening on another PC...
13. I went into settings and disabled 80x80 icons... so now in settings I only see text. now the problem is that when I open any of the setting dialogs the first item on the left is not selected. (should be easy to fix this?)
14. If I select File->Open the default is "AngelScript" files (and remove the config files from Application Data\CodeBlocks ) ?
15. Same thing happens if I select "default workspace" instead of blank workspace...

Gena01

12. It's a bug: http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=6666&group_id=5358
13. Hmm yea shouldn't be too hard to fix.
14 and 15. Uhh not sure what you mean....  :?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:46:32 pm by sethjackson »

Gena01

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 12:53:43 am »

Gena01

12. It's a bug: http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=6666&group_id=5358

regarding 14 and 15.. it seems like it remembers the last index of opened file type... in the "Open" dialog... so you need to delete the config files... or move them out of the way to reproduce this.. the files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name_here>\Application Data\CodeBlocks

I just deleted the 2 files and opened up Code::Blocks. Code::Blocks starts with default settings. Now if I do File->Open the "files of type" says "AngelScript" which is the first option dropdown... If I select another option and open the project file then the next time I start Code::Blocks it uses the last selected option.

Gena01

sethjackson

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:02 am »

Gena01

regarding 14 and 15.. it seems like it remembers the last index of opened file type... in the "Open" dialog... so you need to delete the config files... or move them out of the way to reproduce this.. the files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name_here>\Application Data\CodeBlocks

I just deleted the 2 files and opened up Code::Blocks. Code::Blocks starts with default settings. Now if I do File->Open the "files of type" says "AngelScript" which is the first option dropdown... If I select another option and open the project file then the next time I start Code::Blocks it uses the last selected option.

Gena01

Right the "Open" dialog remembers your last selection. This is on purpose. How is this a problem? Or maybe I just don't understand.....

Gena01

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 03:19:06 am »
The problem is that I think it should not start with "AngelScript" as the starting point, but should have something like CodeBlocks project.

Gena01

sethjackson

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 03:20:25 am »
The problem is that I think it should not start with "AngelScript" as the starting point, but should have something like CodeBlocks project.

Gena01

Aha I see now. I agree. :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 09:11:17 am »
It will do once you have selected something different. Your las selection is saved and applied next time you use the dialog.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

sethjackson

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 01:29:29 pm »
It will do once you have selected something different. Your las selection is saved and applied next time you use the dialog.
With regards, Morten.

Right. However I think it should start on something different. Like C++ source, or Code::Blocks project or something....

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 01:39:50 pm »
Right. However I think it should start on something different. Like C++ source, or Code::Blocks project or something....
Well, we can only do it wrong: If we change to C then Anglescript (and C::B workspace/project) devs will complain. If we change to [whatever] the "other ones" will complain. Thus the strategy was to keep in mind the last selection which will most likely fit the dev's needs.
In addition: The extension list can change quickly if support for another set of files is added. And - in fact - this will happen with the new compiler framework. So this index we are settings there would have to be "maintained". I don't think that's a good idea. Thus - why not keeping it at the "first extension" only for the very first time?
With regards, Morten.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:41:23 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

sethjackson

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 01:41:24 pm »
Well, we can only do it wrong: If we change to C then Anglescript (and C::B workspace/project) devs will complain. If we change to [whatever] the "other ones" will complain. Thus the strategy was to keep in mind the last selection which will most likely fit the dev's needs.
In addition: The extension list can change quickly if support for another set of files is added. And - in fact - this will happen with the new compiler framework. So this index we are settings there would have to be "maintained". I don't think that's a good idea. Thus - why not keeping it at the "first extension"?
With regards, Morten.

Ok that makes sense. :)

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:17 pm »
In addition: The extension list can change quickly if support for another set of files is added. And - in fact - this will happen with the new compiler framework. So this index we are settings there would have to be "maintained". I don't think that's a good idea. Thus - why not keeping it at the "first extension" only for the very first time?

If you add an extension, would that not also possibly change the index value?  Why not save the extension instead of the index?
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 05:04:04 pm »
If you add an extension, would that not also possibly change the index value?  Why not save the extension instead of the index?
that's how it should be done !!!

Gena01

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 05:26:39 pm »
From the whole discussion I see three possible issues:
1. The default starting index is 0 (AngelScript).
2. When I select "Open an existing project" link from the  "Start Here" (blank workspace) it should select the index to match CodeProject project files and not what was last used.
3. Index is used and saved across sessions. (and not extension?)

Gena01

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 05:29:02 pm »
I remember I once fixed some bugs so that the last extension was remembered (for generic open) bu I vae the impression something happened to it, since it does not work that well anymore ;-)

When opening project, it indeed should be cbp extensions selected, I will fix this.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 06:18:35 pm »
I remember I once fixed some bugs so that the last extension was remembered (for generic open)
Don't worry: It still works very well. That's what I'm saying: The last filter selection IS stored as name, not the index. Then from the name the index is being computed. If there is no name stored, the default index (which is zero) is used. Anyway, for the file-open dialog you have to come to an (integer) index in the end allthough you save the filter as literal (again: as it is done).

So in the end it only happens the very first time that you are presented the AngelScript filter because this has index zero (the default). I could only imagine doing in MainFrame::OnFileOpen(wxCommandEvent& event) not a int StoredIndex = 0; but something like int StoredIndex = GetDefaultFilterIndex(); which would resolve to what?
There are so many good reason to resolve to any of the following:
- C::B workspace
- C::B projects
- C/C++ source/header files
(...)
But again I'm saying: We don't know what a good default value is. If we set iot to "something" next time people will complain different.

The only thing I could imagine to have the default index set to "All files" which is always appended to the filter index list. This is already returned by FileFilters::GetIndexForFilterAll(). How about that?

With regards, Morten.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:24:13 pm by MortenMacFly »