Author Topic: Games! WTF - Stay Focused  (Read 10999 times)

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
Games! WTF - Stay Focused
« on: July 22, 2006, 04:10:53 pm »
Hi there,

Just downloaded the latest nightly. Looks very nice.

I was a little surprised, however, to see the inclusion of a Games pluggin. Personally, I think this just detracts from the overall professionalism of the software. Isn't C::B supposed to be a professional IDE? Or a gaming front-end?

Come guys! Gives us RC3 - not games!

(I'm an avid C::B user and this is just my opinion, so please don't anyone take it personally.)

BigAngryDog.com

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Games! WTF - Stay Focused
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 08:00:21 pm »
That is a 3rd party pluggin and I think its cool but you are right that is does not really fit the purpose of Code::Blocks to well.  I really do think we need a source forge like area for Code::Blocks like system and an easy interface to download and install them with.  That way they can be taken out of the the Code::Blocks repository.  I believe this is planned, so for now I think the practice of including all the contrib pluggins in the nightlies will continue.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:48:20 pm »
Hi there,

I was a little surprised, however, to see the inclusion of a Games pluggin. Personally, I think this just detracts from the overall professionalism of the software. Isn't C::B supposed to be a professional IDE? Or a gaming front-end?

(I'm an avid C::B user and this is just my opinion, so please don't anyone take it personally.)

Yeah, I want my money back !! And the dev who wrote it ought be be docked a weeks pay.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:51:18 pm by Pecan »

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:57:02 pm »
Hi there,

Yeah, I want my money back !! And the dev who wrote it ought be be docked a weeks pay.

:lol:

Offline orefa

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:00:46 pm »
A while back, along with a number of other people, I was also scratching my head at finding Tetris within the IDE. I'm among those who would prefer not to get it by default based on the fact that it seems entirely out of place. I just turned it off so I don't see it. But I know it's there...

Now, say you download a promising new XML engine from a source you've just heard of. You fire up this hot baby and discover that a database of Richard Simmons' favorite workouts and recipes is also part of the software. Are you delighted at the option to workout and diet at no additional cost? Or is your reaction a bit different?

Don't read this as ingratitude towards cool Code::Blocks and its developpers. It's only a personal view that such misdirection makes the product less cool. No offense is intended towards anyone, it's just user feedback.

sethjackson

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:06:18 pm »
Well I agree I don't think games belong in an IDE. You have got to admit it is original though. A free cross-platform tetris clone. w00t.  :lol:

BTW I don't mean to offend you byo. ;) Just my personal opinion. :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 11:19:02 pm »
C'mon, even Excel 95 had a little hidden game :P

The inclusion of that game was already discussed here and it's true many people didn't like that, but some others did. I'm aware it has nothing to do with Code::Blocks itself but it also shows the flexibility the IDE can achieve thru plugins.

It's distributed in the Nightly builds 'cause it's part of the contrib plugins. Due to all the controversy it has generated it could be unchecked by default in the installer of the next release of Code::Blocks (RC3 or whatever its name happen to be), but right now it'll be always there (of course, except if you remove it or disable it).

"A non-serious study has revealed people who uses the Code::Blocks IDE and plays every now and then one of the included Byogames becomes more productive and has a more healthy living thanks to stress alleviation." :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:21:10 pm by Ceniza »

Offline orefa

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 11:38:22 pm »
"A non-serious study has revealed people who uses the Code::Blocks IDE and plays every now and then one of the included Byogames becomes more productive and has a more healthy living thanks to stress alleviation."

Ahhh, but the better-informed among us are also aware of the following study:

Most Studies Find Nothing, Study Finds (http://www.avantnews.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=253)

The most comprehensive study of studies ever attempted has conclusively determined that few, if any, studies ever actually determine anything. At least not conclusively. The study, commissioned by the International Association of Disillusioned Researchers, examined over 52,000 studies conducted in a wide range of disciplines over the past 50 years. The study's conclusion, that virtually all studies are meaningless, would threaten to threaten the study industry itself were it not for the fact that the study, according to its own conclusions, is itself meaningless.

“We’re both stunned and relieved by the results,” said Dr. Winthrop Pigbladder, D.D.S., who participated in the interdisciplinary study study. “On the one hand, our data proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that nothing whatsoever of substance is ever proved by studies of this kind. On the other hand, our study itself is a study of this kind. So where the hell does that leave us?”

Dr. Pigbladder, a philosopher-statistician-dentist who also dabbles in neo-classical picnicware and is, in the opinion of several colleagues who asked to remain anonymous, “complete shit at banjo”, led the groundbreaking study study together with a respected interdisciplinary team of researchers from several of the top institutes for studies in the United States. Over the course of nearly a decade, the team examined the data, methodologies and conclusions of a vast range of studiers across virtually the entire range of modern study-performing.

“Statistically, the chances of any particular study conclusively proving anything at all are no greater than the chance of a monkey hitting a particular conclusion scribbled on a whiteboard with a magnetic dart,” Dr. Pigbladder said. “And in the rare cases where a study actually does prove something, the chances of a new study disproving the same conclusion within one to two years are a good deal greater than, for example, the chance that the monkey will fondle itself in a manner deemed inappropriate in polite society, usually within three to five minutes. It doesn’t bother us, of course, but we’re pretty open-minded. You have to be, in the study industry.”

While the study industry is currently reeling from the shock of the dramatic findings, a counter-study seeking to conclusively prove the effectiveness of studies of this kind and commissioned by the Interdisciplinary Study Commissioning Institute is expected to render the International Association of Disillusioned Researchers study meaningless, probably within one to two years.

Offline BigAngryDog

• BigAngryDog.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 01:45:09 pm »
Why not include the game(s) as an example C::B projects and/or as an examples of how to produce a pluggin? But not part of the default set of C::B pluggins.

> And the dev who wrote it ought be be docked a weeks pay.

I think that would be a bit harsh. Don't you?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

>C'mon, even Excel 95 had a little hidden game

A "little" flight simulator as I recall.
BigAngryDog.com

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 01:55:03 pm »
I would suggest we end the discussion about the CB/BYO games.
They are part of the contribs, which will probably be a separate download next to the official CB.

As said : some like it , some don't.
Is it less professional if such a toy is included ? Some will say yes, some will say no. But on the other hand, maybe a lot of us programmers might learn something from game coders (eg John Carmack) so who are we to judge. IDE's are also used to create games, so to the game developers this might be their hello world program ;-)
The game plug-in is fun, show technology concepts of the CB plug-in architecture and certainly has a good educational value.

BYO has done a wonderfull job on several levels (wxSmith, byo games). As a special gift he gave us the games, they are there to enjoy. if you don't like games well then don't play it.
And as far as the "extra byte load" goes, as said contrib plug-ins will be a distinct download.

Did you ever wonder how much stuff you have installed you don't need when you installed your OS .... ???

Oh yeah : why are they in the nighlies : so we can provide it to everyone without answering 100*100*100*100 times where that cool plug-in can be found people are talking about, and to find bugs in it ;-)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:56:56 pm by killerbot »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »
Sorry, but I couldn't just be silent on this topic:
C::B provides a very nice plugin interface for third party (or call it contrib) plugins. Why do you provide a plugin interface? To enable "external" devs to plugin their functionality. Those plugins can simply be disabled if you don't like it but I would never "shout" in such a way to a third party dev as it was done here. Those guys are always welcome much more than those only saying "do this", "do that" and so on. It has been said several times now and I can only underline that: byo has done a *great* job with all his work for C::B. If he develops with more pleasure when having a game from time to time - let him do! If he provides this as game to others AND as *tech demo* - let him do! I for myself was (again) really impressed what byo makes out of the C::B interface. I had never imagined this is possible - what he did *is* professional, that's clear.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

takeshimiya

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 05:04:20 pm »
Sorry, but I couldn't just be silent on this topic:
C::B provides a very nice plugin interface for third party (or call it contrib) plugins. Why do you provide a plugin interface? To enable "external" devs to plugin their functionality. Those plugins can simply be disabled if you don't like it but I would never "shout" in such a way to a third party dev as it was done here. Those guys are always welcome much more than those only saying "do this", "do that" and so on. It has been said several times now and I can only underline that: byo has done a *great* job with all his work for C::B. If he develops with more pleasure when having a game from time to time - let him do! If he provides this as game to others AND as *tech demo* - let him do! I for myself was (again) really impressed what byo makes out of the C::B interface. I had never imagined this is possible - what he did *is* professional, that's clear.

This discussion should't exist since byo spent 3 hours to make the tetris game, and he already spent months (years now) doing his work in the awesome RAD plugin.

BigAngryDog: you should have searched at the forum before creating this thread. This was discussed before.

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 06:03:42 pm »
Yeah byo has done a great job. :D I have actually played C::B Tris (once).  8)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 06:11:53 pm »

Ok, he can keep his weeks salary.
But I still want my money back.
Developers should not be enjoying their work so much.
Not good for our image.

sethjackson

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 06:12:53 pm »

Ok, he can keep his weeks salary.
But I still want my money back.

:lol: