Author Topic: Free virtualisation (running C::B on multiple OS?)  (Read 10842 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Free virtualisation (running C::B on multiple OS?)
« on: July 12, 2006, 10:02:03 pm »
Unbelievable: MS has released Virtual PC 2004 for free!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
So if you ever wanted to run C:::B in a virtual Linux environment under Windows or via versa - you can do this from now on... ;-)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:09:45 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Free virtualisation (running C::B on multiple OS?)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:48:24 pm »
Wow, first VMware Player and now Virtual PC.

But... AFAIK Virtual PC is MacOS and Windows only, VMware is Linux and Windows only.

Thanks for the info :D

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:09:09 pm »
But... AFAIK Virtual PC is MacOS and Windows only, VMware is Linux and Windows only.
Right... so cross out the "via versa"... ;-)
Anyway: I guess it's a matter of time now when vmware gets free, too... 8)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:39:31 pm »
They're all afraid of Xen ;)

btw. You don't need all these stuff. Just install Linux and Wine :mrgreen:
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:45:33 pm »

LOL

PS : since you are the expert, I will post some questions in your direction this weekend or next week ( === your my technical linux client support contact  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) wrt my linux problems and lack of knowledge ;-)

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:48:49 pm »
VMWare Player is restricted to existing pre-made virtualization OSes only. You can't create new ones with it. However, you can get VMWare Server from VMWare's site for free. It can host quite a number of OSes and you can create new ones with it too.

Virtualization is very interesting indeed. The first thing I did when I got my Win2000 installed as virtual OS was to go to a random phishing site, download random exes from the site and run them, the Win2K installation didn't ofcourse have any security updates installed. After testing them I just reverted to earlier snapshot and continued playing with it without any spyware.

The virtualization is very depended on hardware. On my system (AMD Athlon64 3200+, 1 GB RAM) using applications in the virtualized OS is very slow. For example the menus in C::B are drawn with noticeable delay. I guess dual core processor and some extra ram would help.

Another bad thing in VMWare server is that it installs several processes / services which are run always in the background. I've heard that Virtual PC doesn't do this, but I'm not sure.

Arto

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 12:38:06 am »
LOL

PS : since you are the expert, I will post some questions in your direction this weekend or next week ( === your my technical linux client support contact  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) wrt my linux problems and lack of knowledge ;-)
They have to be afraid! Nearly every big linux distri integrates xen and windows runs with xen and a virtualization capable processor without having to hack it :P  So there's no need for windows as host system :lol:
Ok, I'll stop proselytising you all  :lol:

Ask whenever you want, I'll help you as far as I can ;) I also want to install Suse 10.1 next week (the CD is already downloaded), so I can also help you if it's a special thing. There's a big difference between Suse 10.0 and 10.1
The virtualization is very depended on hardware. On my system (AMD Athlon64 3200+, 1 GB RAM) using applications in the virtualized OS is very slow. For example the menus in C::B are drawn with noticeable delay. I guess dual core processor and some extra ram would help.
But I think processor with virtualization support would speed up the whole thing. But you're right, it's slower than the host system.
I'll test virtualization, but only OpenVZ. It supports running few Linux systems with one and the same kernel (there's nearly no overhead, so it runs as fast as usual) :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:42:02 am by daniel2000 »
Nightly builds for openSUSE

mdelfede

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:48:41 am »

Eh... I have used wine, nice piece of software, I have submitted some small patches to have autocad run on it (4 years ago, Autocad R14), but for many apps (CAD in particular) is too far away from being usable for production purposes.
It's a pity, 'cause CAD is the only thing that keeps me from switching to Linux completely.

I'd love to see an open source cad similar to AutoCAD on linux, (maybe built on C::B !!!) but I see no interest for developers to do it.... All people interested in cloning Office (it's incredible how many 'mighty Excel' are around there   :? ), and no production-stable open source CAD at all...

Ciao

Max

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 10:05:38 am »
VMware Player can be restricted to existing configurations but that doesn't mean you cannot use a free third-party software to create the configuration file and even the initial hdd file. That's what I did and it worked pretty nicely :)

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 10:57:00 am »
VMware Player can be restricted to existing configurations but that doesn't mean you cannot use a free third-party software to create the configuration file and even the initial hdd file. That's what I did and it worked pretty nicely :)

Sure, but like I said, you can get the Server version for free (as in beer) from VMWare's site. Also, the Server version has been in a public beta for a long time (before the actual final release that happened few days ago).

Arto

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 01:11:22 am »
Unbelievable: MS has released Virtual PC 2004 for free!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
So if you ever wanted to run C:::B in a virtual Linux environment under Windows or via versa - you can do this from now on... ;-)

Hello,

Thanks for the info :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:43:19 am by Pecan »

Offline hckr83

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 01:26:13 am »
where it starts getting slow is 5 levels of virtualization :P
I ran it like this(from top level being my actual pc)
1.windows xp /w intel celeron@1.3ghz and 512mb
2.windows 2k with 300mb of ram -install time:2 hours
3.windows 2k with 150mb of ram -install time:4 hours
4. windows 2k with 64mb of ram -install time:7 hours(ran overnight the last part)
5. dos 6.22 with 5mb of ram -install time:like 30 minutes just to boot the bootdisk!

yes in dos I would like type a character and oh say 20 seconds later it would show up and you don't even want to know what happens when you try moving a window!