Author Topic: Debug Watch Window Not Showing Contents Of Variables  (Read 4120 times)

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
Debug Watch Window Not Showing Contents Of Variables
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:42:57 am »
Are the watch windows broken? I can't seem to get member of classes/structures to show up in it at all. It just give the hex memory address. I am using the nightly build 2773. This used to work and now it is harder to debug.

Does it have anything to do with changing over to using Squirrel? I can hover over wxStrings and get there contents but the "Watch" window is only giving the members and the memory address. I think I remember a setting to change from hex in the watch to regular output. Is that why it isn't filling in the details of the memory address?

Thanks.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Debug Watch Window Not Showing Contents Of Variables
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:15 am »
Are you watching instances or pointers?
If you 're watching pointers then right-click on the watch and select "Dereference 'your_watch' pointer".
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:52:34 pm »
Are you watching instances or pointers?
If you 're watching pointers then right-click on the watch and select "Dereference 'your_watch' pointer".
It is not a pointer, but that is good to know.

I can give you an example of what I want to do. I am using TinyXML and I know you know that library. It links all things to the document level so I want to see the value for FirstChild. This is a class and all the watch does is display the memory location of the class. How can I ever debug a full document. To find out what nodes each child has. For example in the 'next' and 'prev' members of an element.

I am sure I am just not doing something right or understanding the watch window.

I also have a suggestion, is there a way that you can add the locals to the watch and only open the tree the first level that way the whole class isn't expanded and you can easily see the members. Just a thought. Let me know what you think.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 08:19:39 pm »
I hate to bug people but I would like some help with debuging. I need to be able to debug so that I can work on application code. Sorry to be a bother.
- Ryan