Author Topic: Various bugs and comment about nightly 2729  (Read 22322 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Various bugs and comment about nightly 2729
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 04:39:14 pm »
For me most annoying is:
* the number of mouse clicks
* to read the welcome page for each wizard again and again

So how about:
* presenting the "file" page first (assuming you'll issue more "new files" than "new projects")
* enable a "do not show the intro page again" checkbox for intro pages in wizards

...just for reference and public discussion...?!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

sethjackson

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 05:20:50 pm »
For me I just don't like clicking that much....

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 06:15:27 pm »
  • Are the clicks needed too many?
  • Is the "New" dialog scary/slow?
  • Too many pages in the files wizards?
  • None of the above? (elaborate please)
1) yes, click after click after click, one mistake, then more clicks. 10 clicks just for an h. file. Also it restricts the type of file to create. Can't do .txt or .todo etc.
Easier to just touch <filename>and open.

2) Would love to turn it off on my 333mhz dell and 400mhz imac. I can create files faster by hand.

3) Way too many pages. Would like to see file browser, enter new filename, then done.

4) It's so annoying, I'd opt to always create a new file outside CodeBlocks then just drag it into the file manager.

TheNullinator

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 07:23:49 pm »
I think the wizard approach to file creation is a very useful one once developed to a level that saves the programmer more time than using a non-wizard method and having to do a whole heap of stuff manually, such as adding guards, common includes, namespaces and a basic class declaration.  I would like to see Code::Blocks get to this level.

However, I find the current minimum click count of 10 for nothing special very slow and boring so I now opt for file creation using other methods.  Maybe a merger of Morten's and Pecan's views could be considered.

• "File" page displayed first when "New" is clicked or last page remembered.
  • "Welcome" pages that can be turned off.
  • When a file wizard is started, the filename entry box and target list are on the first page with a "Finish" button and a "Next" button for future extension.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »
Well, everybody has said the reasons why it's overkill already but it seems nobody liked the "Quick create new file..." solution. I still vote for that one :P

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 09:12:15 pm »
I am on your side ;-)

next to the wiz, a quick file new ...

sethjackson

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »
I am on your side ;-)

Me too. :)

mdelfede

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 09:19:23 pm »
I am on your side ;-)

My vote is for local right mouse menu on 'sources', 'headers', 'resources' end so on....

Max

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 10:45:05 pm »
@all:

Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow we 'll have some more commits in that part of the program ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 11:31:59 pm »
@all:

Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow we 'll have some more commits in that part of the program ;)

Oh well...
I was feeling kinda bored and I implemented it today ;)

Quote from: SVN commit log
* "File->New" now has a submenu with quick shortcuts to the various kinds of wizards. It also has an "empty file" entry which brings back the old way to create an empty file.

So we 're now from 10 down to 2 mouse-clicks for a new empty file. Not bad... ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 11:43:33 pm »
superb, tested it, works fine   :D

mdelfede

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 11:57:13 pm »
perfect  :)

sethjackson

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 03:38:59 am »
Thanks mandrav. :D

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 03:46:55 am »

So we 're now from 10 down to 2 mouse-clicks for a new empty file. Not bad... ;)

Cool! Thanks

takeshimiya

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 07:08:36 am »
Quote from: SVN commit log
* "File->New" now has a submenu with quick shortcuts to the various kinds of wizards. It also has an "empty file" entry which brings back the old way to create an empty file.

Not bad, really, much better now :)

For making it more comfortable even (1 mouse-click), something that always bugged me about the "old way" was the behaviour of creating the file first.

Here are my usability thoughts:
1)
As in other editors, when you click the "New file" button, you get an "Untitled" file, you write something, and you can discard it without having to create a file. This happens a lot, and if you want to save, you usually click the Save button.
It happens to be very uncomfortable when you only want to paste a piece of text, because you need to specify where to save and then later after you're done, delete that file.

The only problem left with this new behaviour is Syntax highlighting, but as the user can do Edit->Highlighting mode (which is far less annoying than create a file and then having to delete it), it shouldn't be a problem.

2) In the new "context-menu" for new files, I suggest putting the "Empty file" at the top of the menu.

3) In the Start Here page, it says "Create a new project" and "Open a new project". Now it should say simply "Create" and "Open". :D

3) For the New from template dialog, make the dialog resizeable (as is now, I have to scroll to see all templates).

4) Create 16x16 or 20x20 icons for the templates, as in a few templates scrolling will become annoying.

5) Make the control a tree control, and include descriptions, plus the 16x16 or 20x20 icons above.
Example:

6) For the New from template dialog, make double-click work as in clicking "Go" or "Next".

That's it for now, little changes that helps a lot from an usability viewpoint. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:10:25 am by Takeshi Miya »