Author Topic: Various bugs and comment about nightly 2729  (Read 22334 times)

Max

Various bugs and comment about nightly 2729
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:11:58 pm »
Dear all,

Just few bugs observed using Windows XP SP2

1) Just after the CB opening, right clicking into Projects area over "Worspace" does nothing. I think the right action shuold be to observe a menu with (Rename,Save, Save As...). If I open (load) an existing worspace or If I save the initial Worspace the menu will appear.

2) Adding a C/C++ fle a wizard starts. Unfortunately the adding fails and a window appears (error message). The image of the window is attached.

Now a comment.

Ok the wizard is a good tool but using it to add a .c or .h file seems silly (IMHO) to me. Is so a common task
that a wizard seems like to kill a mosquito with a gun. Moreover adding an header file (I cannot add a source file
becasue 2) ) the wizard ask me to select a target. So it seems impossible (to me if I am worng please let me know)
to add it into all available targets.

Now a (possible) feature request.

Is it possible to have (in addition to the wizard)the old, efficient, simple way to add a file?

Thanks and regards

Massimo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Various bugs and comment about nightly 2729
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:35:28 pm »
Just after the CB opening, right clicking into Projects area over "Worspace" does nothing. I think the right action shuold be to observe a menu with (Rename,Save, Save As...). If I open (load) an existing worspace or If I save the initial Worspace the menu will appear.
What exactly do you expect to happen? If you have no workspace open, then what should be saved or renamed?
Adding a C/C++ fle a wizard starts.
I have just finished recompiling 2730 to see what wizard you are talking about. I see no such thing as a wizard, but a file selector dialog followed by a dialog that lets you add the selected files to one or more targets. What's wrong with this?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »
2) Adding a C/C++ fle a wizard starts. Unfortunately the adding fails and a window appears (error message).

This is known and will be fixed today.

2) ) the wizard ask me to select a target. So it seems impossible (to me if I am worng please let me know)

You 're right. This will be implemented this shortly.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:37:40 pm »
Adding a C/C++ fle a wizard starts.
I have just finished recompiling 2730 to see what wizard you are talking about. I see no such thing as a wizard, but a file selector dialog followed by a dialog that lets you add the selected files to one or more targets. What's wrong with this?

Now you got me worried Thomas :lol:
Be patient!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:38:30 pm »
Seriously!   8)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:49:01 pm »
No wizards here, not even a magician :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:52:17 pm »
No wizards here, not even a magician :)

He means "File->New" :lol:
Be patient!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:55:40 pm »
Ah, now that is different (but not what he said).  Oh yes, this one is evil sorcery.

Burn! Burn! Burn!  :lol:

Max

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 10:09:14 pm »
Thomas, you wrote.

T> What exactly do you expect to happen? If you have no workspace open, then what should be saved or renamed?

I can be wrong but...you do have a workspace open at that time. It is called "Workspace" you can add a project to it,
you can save it using File->Save Workspace as. So I am especting that the right click menu is working as well.

I can be wrong .. but try to ask yourself how many other people is especting the same...

If I don't have a worspace opened, why there is a workspace icon with the string Worspace in the managment area? No workspaces opened => empty managment area.

regards

Massimo

mdelfede

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:57:14 pm »
2) Adding a C/C++ fle a wizard starts. Unfortunately the adding fails and a window appears (error message).

This is known and will be fixed today.

2) ) the wizard ask me to select a target. So it seems impossible (to me if I am worng please let me know)

You 're right. This will be implemented this shortly.

Arrrgghhh ! Now I see the problem too, it's really annoying  :D
Really a wizard to create a new c file seems too much !
I'm waiting for a "do the job for me, I'll go holydays" button on next release....  :D

Best regards and keep on, I'm using CB since less than one week and it seems to me one of the best IDEs that I've ever seen !

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 05:34:06 am »
I'm finding the new way to create new header/source files using wizards excessive. The old way with some new name (like "Quick create new file..." or something) should be back with some key accelerator like "Ctrl+Shift+N" while keeping the wizard, really.

In the meanwhile this seems to be the fastest way to do it if I don't need to add it to a target:

Code: bash
touch newfile.cpp
newfile.cpp

:P

sethjackson

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:27:21 pm »
I'm finding the new way to create new header/source files using wizards excessive. The old way with some new name (like "Quick create new file..." or something) should be back with some key accelerator like "Ctrl+Shift+N" while keeping the wizard, really.

Agreed. It just seems overkill to use a wizard to create a new header/source file.......

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 03:17:57 pm »

Agreed. It just seems overkill to use a wizard to create a new header/source file.......

Me too! Pretty, nice work, but too much.

It's like using my '73 German 2 ton Deutz diesel to cut the lawn.
Doable, but wholely unnecessary.

Can we have an "advanced user" checkbox option to turn some wizards off?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:35:03 pm »
@all:
I can see why you think it's overkill. And I agree with you. For a new empty file, it is too much. But these new wizards are there to offer much more than empty files.
True, currently you can just create empty files and it's annoying having to get through a wizard for this. But this won't always be the case.

So please help us here.
Why do you think it's too much?
  • Are the clicks needed too many?
  • Is the "New" dialog scary/slow?
  • Too many pages in the files wizards?
  • None of the above? (elaborate please)

Let's see what's more annoying and schedule it for fixing :)
Be patient!

mdelfede

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 04:00:40 pm »
@all:
I can see why you think it's overkill. And I agree with you. For a new empty file, it is too much. But these new wizards are there to offer much more than empty files.
True, currently you can just create empty files and it's annoying having to get through a wizard for this. But this won't always be the case.

So please help us here.
Why do you think it's too much?
  • Are the clicks needed too many?
  • Is the "New" dialog scary/slow?
  • Too many pages in the files wizards?
  • None of the above? (elaborate please)

Let's see what's more annoying and schedule it for fixing :)

Hehehehehehehe...
I'll add
  • Tens clicks to solve a one-click job :)

I think the best would be add 'empty C file', 'empty C++ file' and 'empty H file' icon in first page after pressing 'new' button.
I think it's easy to add and allow you to keep doors opened for future enancements.

Ciao

Max