Author Topic: Help Plugin feature request  (Read 6543 times)

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
Help Plugin feature request
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:46:50 am »
I've got a small request for the Help Plugin.  It would be nice if it would be possible to do a lookup on a URL.  For example, in my SciTEUser.properties file I have help setup for C/CPP files to be:

Code
command.help.$(file.patterns.cpp)=http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?siteId=0&tab=0&query=$(CurrentWord)

Since the MSDN site will typically be the most up-to-date in terms of the win32 api, it seems the logical place to go looking for information.

Cheers!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Help Plugin feature request
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:19:06 am »
I like the idea... and I just committed it (rev 2721) :D

Be sure to read Help->Plugins->Help plugin (Description).

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:22:00 am »

Now that is just cool. I have never used the Help plugin, but that feature alone is enough to motivate me to compile it.  8)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:03:50 am »
I quit using the help plugin long ago because MS .chm's used the evil class MSegotistic_arrogance("stay on top", "we know best") method calls.

But since Ceniza kicked that problem out the door, I use it more and more each day.

Way to go Ceniza!

thanks
pecan

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:57:56 am »
Searching MSDN and Google has been implemented in the core application for about 6 months. Try right-clicking a word while holding down Ctrl.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:22:29 am »
Searching MSDN and Google has been implemented in the core application for about 6 months. Try right-clicking a word while holding down Ctrl.

I think this should be put in the tips.txt.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:05:24 pm »
If a feature isn't documented, its not really a feature.  Not saying this wasn't listed somewhere, but its a good mantra to live by and before the attacks start, I try to live by this one not just spout it off :).

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 07:31:14 pm »
Ctrl + Right click... really bad combination for me since I'm using that one for Babylon Translator, but anyway, good to know that secret code :)

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:50:35 pm »

I've tried and it doesn't seem to be working right.  I have defined a new help source (called MSDN) with the following URL:

Code
http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?siteId=0&tab=0&query=$(keyword)

as the source and made it the default help.

Now, when I highlight a word and hit F1, the $(keyword) is not getting replaced with the highlighted word.  Have I defined something in correctly?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 07:34:09 pm »
Pressing F1 doesn't make keyword lookup. The only way to do that is right clicking on a word and selecting "Locate in ..." :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 07:49:10 pm »
I'd like to add another feature request, if possible:
If I right-click into an editor the menu has grown quite large (because I've added quite some help files). Thus basic functions as e.g. all "Edit" or similar are quite "jumpy". Depending on where I right-click in the editor I have to move the mouse a "long way" to reach the function I want... ;-)

So my feature request is to make a sub-menu (e.g. "Locate in") and then show all the help files in this sub-menu. If you agree you can have a look at the "Insert..." menu how it's done there maybe...

With best regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 08:25:34 pm »
Hmmm, a submenu... sounds good too. I'll check that this afternoon (GMT-5:00) when I, hopefully, have totally waken up :P