Author Topic: [ Bug #7714 ] File->"Save all files" doesn't save all files : please vote  (Read 8252 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Should for "save all files" also the project file and the workspace be saved ??
(currently : it's only the source files)
yes/no ?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Not seriously?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
I would say yes.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Should for "save all files" also the project file and the workspace be saved ??
(currently : it's only the source files)
yes/no ?

That would put me in serious trouble. I make test build options changes etc that I do not want saved when I save a file.

What if you ctrl-z your changes to files? You can't undo a project file.
Then when you save... oops too late... Do I remember what changes I make?
With my "senior moments", most likely not.

But we could always add the option to the context popups.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:49:49 am by Pecan »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Again: not seriously?  :lol:

That would mean that the project is saved every time you compile... so if you make a build with optimisations turned on, it will save that to disk!
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Hell no.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
A no here .o/

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
some clarifications :
- save 1 (source) file  -> does not mean saving the project file
- internal "save all calls" (eg because of compile (regular or a build with a different optimizations) -> "hell no" ;-)

It's for the case where the user explicitly asks (button or menu) : CB, please save all my files.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Using the menu option Save All -> Yes
When compiling or saving just 1 file -> "hell no" :P
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Even when selecting "save all files", it is wrong and problematic.

Although it is technically true that project and workspace are eventually saved to files for permanent storage, insisting on "but they are files" is nothing but a pedantism.

The project holds the project's files, it is not one of them. I don't know of any software that handles this differently (and no, I am not interested in an example, don't bother searching).

One might equally argue whether "save project" means "save the project, including all source files" or simply "save the project file". After all, "the project" is the project file plus all source files. A project file alone is nothing without the sources, so if you want to be consequent, you must save those too. However, I guess that none of you seriously expects this to happen.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I think we could agree upon the fact that we won't save the project and workspace files on "save all". So it will not be considered as a bug.

@Thomas :
 - no need to search for examples, I know some ;-)
 - does your autosave (which creates backup copies ??) save the project/workspace (since maybe I did change some project settings to be permanent and woops crash ... :-(  )

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
No
(poll?)

You could make a "save all files project workspaces" new menu item, if someone really want that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 01:04:42 pm by kkez »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
A resounding "NO!".

Thomas has explained it well.
For any projects other than "Hello world", saving the actual project file should be the developer's choice when to happen, not the IDE's...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
does your autosave (which creates backup copies ??) save the project/workspace
Autosave does what you tell it to do, not more not less :)

If you tell it "save the project" then it will save the project. Otherwise it will not. If you tell it "overwrite" or "create backup" then it will overwrite the original (and optionally create a backup copy first), but if you leave the default "save to '.save' file", then it will save to ProjectName.cbp.save and leave the original untouched.

If you tell it to save the sources, it will do just that, and leave the project untouched.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Strongly recommends you implement this...

:lol:(Just kidding^)

:o What do you mean not funny?
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~