Author Topic: STL strings and Unicode  (Read 4075 times)

sethjackson

STL strings and Unicode
« on: June 25, 2006, 08:07:47 pm »
If I am understanding correctly std::string is ANSI only, however STL comes to the rescue with std::wstring which is for Unicode only. Am I correct?

So is the code below correct? Then instead of using std::string, or std::wstring I could use String? I think I'm right, but I'm not sure......

Code: cpp
#ifndef STRING_H
#define STRING_H

#ifdef UNICODE

#include <wstring>

typedef std::wstring String;

#else

#include <string>

typedef std::string String;

#endif

#endif // STRING_H

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: STL strings and Unicode
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 10:24:34 pm »
wstring is not a standard C++ header; as far as I know, std::wstring is defined in the <string> header. Other than that, I expect your code would work.

It may interest you to know that std::string and std::wstring are only typedefs of an underlying "basic_string" template:
Code
typedef basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> > string;
typedef basic_string<wchar_t, char_traits<wchar_t>, allocator<wchar_t> > wstring;

This would in essence allow you to make a string out of any data type (PODs are easiest).
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

sethjackson

Re: STL strings and Unicode
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 01:21:18 am »
wstring is not a standard C++ header; as far as I know, std::wstring is defined in the <string> header. Other than that, I expect your code would work.

It may interest you to know that std::string and std::wstring are only typedefs of an underlying "basic_string" template:
Code
typedef basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> > string;
typedef basic_string<wchar_t, char_traits<wchar_t>, allocator<wchar_t> > wstring;

This would in essence allow you to make a string out of any data type (PODs are easiest).

Cool.  8) Thanks for the answer. :)