Author Topic: Which widget library do you mostly use?  (Read 33690 times)

Offline Roman

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Which widget library do you mostly use?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 12:17:54 am »
I use wxSmith for everyday work, and it works.

It IS USEFUL, but is rather SCARY, especially for newbies. When a man (or girl) looks at wxSmith for a very first time he (or she) has a predisposition to be scared (all the new things are scary). wxSmith IMHO must kiss a guest with a pretty appearance. Change a background in the Form Designer to something cute and noobs wouldn't run away with panic. Buttons at the right IMHO also produce an impression of something hardcoded.

Best Regards
Roman
CB LSI (C::B as a Little Secret Initiative)

Offline mike__t

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:00 am »
I find wxSmith quite useable, and appreciate the effort behind it.  It's really quite quick to build a reasonably complex dialog, and is quite stable in day-to-day use.

The convenience of having it built into the IDE outweighs any small disadvantages it might have in comparison to wxFormBuilder, and unlike wxDev-cpp, it is cross platform.

I will say that I had to show another developer where to find the resource tree, and without that it's a little harder to use.  Perhaps something could be done to make that easier to find (e.g. switch to it when the dialog editor is opened).

-Mike

Offline Roman

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:01 am »
And a fltk.org does not seem as creepy as rumors say

Sorry, I didn't look at their forum

Best Regards
Roman
CB LSI (C::B as a Little Secret Initiative)

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 04:14:10 am »
... If BYO will create something useful ...

I use wxSmith for everyday work, and it works. So please, don't tell that my stuff is useless. I see that it does not meet your requirements (and you keep stating that for few months now), that really makes my "work" here harder (simply because it makes me discouraged).

BYO

I do like your work. I wont to have as fast as you can provide packages and custom controls. To have something similar to the Borland's IDE. You have probably largest chance to do that.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 06:03:41 am »
Yesterday I wrote a reply and unfortunately I couldn't post it. :(

The most successful story there in Borland IDE. They created a GUI library + developer, based on that library. When wx team will understand that - our life will be easier.

Their tool cost an Arm and a Leg of a Developer. Especially if the developer belongs to developing country. The price is equivalent to 5-6 months' salary of an average software job. Forget about students, it may take their one year's study cost and living cost to buy that. So no wonder why it is so easy to use and customisable.

If wx team could've offered such alternative, it would've been nice to all. But I don't expect more from a free tool.

... If BYO will create something useful ...
I use wxSmith for everyday work, and it works. So please, don't tell that my stuff is useless. I see that it does not meet your requirements (and you keep stating that for few months now), that really makes my "work" here harder (simply because it makes me discouraged).

I agree with Byo. He had to put a lot efforts to do that. Just look at the amount of code he has contribute and you'll start appreciating his efforts. :)

Perhaps something could be done to make that easier to find (e.g. switch to it when the dialog editor is opened).

Good suggestion. :)

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 08:55:44 am »
I use wxSmith for everyday work, and it works.

It IS USEFUL, but is rather SCARY, especially for newbies. When a man (or girl) looks at wxSmith for a very first time he (or she) has a predisposition to be scared (all the new things are scary). wxSmith IMHO must kiss a guest with a pretty appearance. Change a background in the Form Designer to something cute and noobs wouldn't run away with panic. Buttons at the right IMHO also produce an impression of something hardcoded.

Scary? And I thought I had heard it all...  :shock:
It's a form designer. The way you work with it is by "playing" with it: put controls in there, move them around, change their attributes, etc. What's so scary about that?

@all:

Byo is doing a fantastic job here. wxSmith has come a long way since its first releases. It's pretty stable already for everyday use. It already supports most standard wx controls. And for what controls it's missing, I gladly use "custom control" until Byo implements them.
I have been using wxSmith for a big side project of mine and it's working like a charm.

Sure, it has its share of bugs and needs for improvement but what doesn't? This is an on-going process and you should all be happy that Byo is still working on this alone and producing this quality plugin.

So, please, stop being ungrateful. Stop attacking Byo.
Report any wxSmith bugs you find, post any feature requests you may have. Byo listens to all of them and he listens good.
Even better, offer a helping hand instead of whining... ;)

"Save Byo" :lol:
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline darthdespotism

• Almost regular
    • Coder's Nemesis
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:51 pm »
Is using GTKmm "GTK2" oder "Other"? :D

Nice Toolkit, Clean C++ all you need and it really looks great on GNOME

hollingsworthd

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »
"Other"

I've been using JUCE ( http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce ).  Code::blocks already works great with JUCE, and the author provides the sourcefiles for the lib (which is a C++ GUI and general utility library... e.g., threads, strings, io, opengl support, audio...).

I also use Premake ( http://www.sf.net/projects/premake ) in conjunction with JUCE, CB, and my own project.  Premake is just a simple way for me to setup my CB workspace and project--as opposed to using the UI in CB... I just write a LUA script, run premake, and my project file is generated.

BTW, thank you, CB devs for a great IDE.  You guys should sell CB t-shirts as a fundraiser--so I can buy one :)

-dh