Author Topic: The 22 June 2006 build is out.  (Read 20993 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 22 June 2006 build is out.
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:52:50 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll (2.6.2) for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z

The 22 June 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060622_rev2598_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060622_rev2598_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060622_rev2598_fc4+5.rpm (not yet)

Resolved Fixed:

• byogames: Added configuration panel and Added few missing header files

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • there are several issues with Code Completion (is being redesigned : work in progress)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:21:47 pm by killerbot »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The 22 June 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:08:17 pm »
Hi everyone,
this nightly build is somewhat special, I have changed 2 things :
1) it is build with MinGW GCC 3.4.5  (not so special)
2) I have build it on my WinXP64bit, I think it should be just a normal 32bit app, since I did nospecify anything saying that it should be a 64bit app, so unless my MinGW GCC was so clever to find out it was running on a 64bit OS and therefor all apps should be 64-bit targeted, it should be a normal 32bit app.
Oh, and it builded so much faster on my 64bit machine :-)

Hope it works well for all of you.

Offline Acki

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:34:57 pm »
Hi,
BYOGames is preatty funny... ;)
Is there a way to create own BYOGames ???

Silicium62

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:54:36 pm »
yes,  but C::B isn't a game console...

there is less useful than a good Code Completion...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:09:35 pm by Silicium62 »

BordRider

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:47:33 pm »
Seems to be running fine.  Congrats on the new machine :)  Is your compiler optimized for 64 bit?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:00:22 pm »
Seems to be running fine.  Congrats on the new machine :)  Is your compiler optimized for 64 bit?
thx.
Optimised compiler : don't think so, it's the regular MinGW GCC 3.4.5 version.

Offline Acki

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:43:33 am »

But why was it added then for !?!?!
I think one or two more games, for the coffee brake, would be nice, since there is this big select window at start...
So, what's the secret ??? ;)

Offline yaustar

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 02:56:44 am »
I think it is a nice addition, it certainly sets it apart from other IDEs :). I thought this was a nice touch as well:

nfz

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:49:43 am »
my wife liked it   :lol:

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:48:18 am »

Yes as long as you're not addicted to coding ;). I've made BYOGames beause my experience with C::B and coding shows that it's hard to take a break while coding something important (or while coding anything). And after few hours of work you thing more like a computer than a human :(. So this plugin was made to remind about required breaks and give some space in C::B where you could get your mind back to reality (or at least get little bit closer).

Currently there are two games: C::B-Tris and snake (the second one should be in next nightly build). I currently don't plan to add more games nor heavily work on them. It's not hard to write them (I've spent 2.5 hours making snake, creating good codecompletion takes at least few months of hard work) so I hope you don't blame me for wasting time. and AFAIK C::B tends to have many developer tools in one place. I, developer, need sometimes a rest ;). And it is usefull for our wifes, girlfriends, neighbours etc. ;)

Offline Acki

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 04:24:59 pm »
I see !!! ;)
And like said, a great idea !!!

Maybe you will add something like scripting in future releases, so we're be able to create other games and share them ???
I think this would be a great idea, because not everyone likes the same games (I'm thinking for example of Sudoku will be nice)...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:30:50 pm by Acki »

Silicium62

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »

Yes as long as you're not addicted to coding ;). I've made BYOGames beause my experience with C::B and coding shows that it's hard to take a break while coding something important (or while coding anything). And after few hours of work you thing more like a computer than a human :(. So this plugin was made to remind about required breaks and give some space in C::B where you could get your mind back to reality (or at least get little bit closer).

Currently there are two games: C::B-Tris and snake (the second one should be in next nightly build). I currently don't plan to add more games nor heavily work on them. It's not hard to write them (I've spent 2.5 hours making snake, creating good codecompletion takes at least few months of hard work) so I hope you don't blame me for wasting time. and AFAIK C::B tends to have many developer tools in one place. I, developer, need sometimes a rest ;). And it is usefull for our wifes, girlfriends, neighbours etc. ;)

yes, of course, but i am afraid that the new functions of the next versions are only games....

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 07:03:25 pm »
Maybe you will add something like scripting in future releases, so we're be able to create other games and share them ???

Huh, hard to implement in near future :(

yes, of course, but i am afraid that the new functions of the next versions are only games....

Surely most of latest updates were games. But other developers are working too (AFAIK auto-update system is on the way) but on other revisions not used in nightly builds. Probably because they want to give fully wrking feature instead of partial work :)

atteSmythe

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 08:29:14 pm »
I think it is a nice addition, it certainly sets it apart from other IDEs :). I thought this was a nice touch as well:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1853/image15yt.th.png

With all respect to the effort put into coding byogames, and knowing that it's someone's pet project, it struck me as...really unnecessary. I didn't need a popup telling me not to work when I'm at work.

Fortunately, I found the plugin disable, but I hope you consider not making the plugin active by default.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:17 pm »
I think this discussion is a no winner. To some it's a fun and nice addition, others couldn't care less, and then another group might find it a complete waste of time.

I personaly liked it, I have played it, but knowing myself I won't play it that much, to be honest, I am more interested in the code how it was done. So it also has some educational purposes ;-)

There's one thing I do agree upon (but then again, this is my personal feeling), it would be better that by default it would not remind you to stop working (your boss might be looking over your shoulder without any sense of humour ;-) ). The fact that it reminds you by default to stop playing might be more appropriate.

By the way, you don't need to turn off the plug-in, you can tell that little dialog to not show up again.

You know there's a chain of developers/hobbys :
 1) a professional developer has a hobby : developing Code::Blocks
 2) once you are a Code::Blocks developer you have as a hobby ByoGames ;-)

kind regards,
Lieven

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:20:35 pm »
I think this discussion is a no winner. To some it's a fun and nice addition, others couldn't care less, and then another group might find it a complete waste of time.

I personaly liked it, I have played it, but knowing myself I won't play it that much, to be honest, I am more interested in the code how it was done. So it also has some educational purposes ;-)

Hello,

I also share Lieven's opinion. I find the game a pleasant addition, which could be an anti-stress after hours of coding (may be together with a good cup of coffee) :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 09:54:01 pm »
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1853/image15yt.th.png

With all respect to the effort put into coding byogames, and knowing that it's someone's pet project, it struck me as...really unnecessary. I didn't need a popup telling me not to work when I'm at work.

Fortunately, I found the plugin disable, but I hope you consider not making the plugin active by default.

It wasn't hard to implement this plugin, it's not my pet project (wxSmith is), it's not unnecessary for everyone, it don't tell you not to work but simply take small break. I've coded it because many other programs (even commercial and proffesional) have such features and I like games. I will disable work-break popup by default.

Some people like this plugin, some really don't. I'll leave it as it is and don't plan to work on it in future. C::B admins will decide whether it will be included in official releases or not. If C::B is not right place for it, it may be even removed.

schoene

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:31 pm »
Hi,

I've tried to install code::blocks version 22 june 2006 and version 21 june 2006 on Ubuntu 6.06, but when I try to run codeblocks, I always get the following error: 'Segmentation fault'. No information thus. It may be important that I allready had wxgtk 2.6.3 installed, via source/make/install.

Is there a way to get more information about the error?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 11:04:40 pm »
I've tried to install code::blocks version 22 june 2006 and version 21 june 2006 on Ubuntu 6.06, but when I try to run codeblocks, I always get the following error: 'Segmentation fault'. No information thus. It may be important that I allready had wxgtk 2.6.3 installed, via source/make/install.

Strange :?. I test each .deb package before uploading it and never got "Segmentation fault" when starting C::B.

Check if you do not have more than one C::B library in your system.

Anyway, I use wxGTK that comes with Dapper (wxGTK 2.6.1).

Is there a way to get more information about the error?

You can try to start C::B with GDB and then get a backtrace. That could help.

Best wishes,
Michael

schoene

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 08:36:17 am »
I've never done that before, so it's possible I can get more information. this is what I get when I run it through gdb:

(gdb) exec-file /usr/bin/codeblocks
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/codeblocks file /usr/bin/codeblocks
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
(no debugging symbols found)
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1229429056 (LWP 5737)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1229429056 (LWP 5737)]
0xb76130d2 in wxCmdLineParserData::FindOption ()
   from /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu-2.6.so.0

schoene

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 02:14:58 pm »
I have compiled CodeBlocks from source, and now I can run it without a problem. Still don't know what the problem was though.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 10:41:57 am »
I have compiled CodeBlocks from source, and now I can run it without a problem. Still don't know what the problem was though.

May be because you use wxGTK 2.6.3 and I the default Ubuntu Dapper package (wxGTK 2.6.1).

Best wishes,
Michael