Author Topic: We 're in the finals for SF community awards :)  (Read 54173 times)

Offline polygon7

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Home site
Re: We 're in the finals for SF community awards :)
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 07:16:04 pm »
Done :D
best regards,
p7
 Free open source UML modeling tool: ArgoUML

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 03:25:02 am »
And yes, SPE is a very cool ide. It is a dream to develop python code with it.
That's the right info and the right time for me as I was starting to look into python as a scriptimg Language in addition to C++ as a compiled Language

I would say that Python itself is a dream to work with, but I had nothing but troubles getting SPE to work correctly on my PC (win32). Stani doesn't seem particularly interested in fostering an open community, which IMO would have led to the creation of a far more impressive and stable python IDE. I'd rather spend my time to contributing to C::B, which does have an active and inclusive community, and hope that one day there are enough people interested in improving CBs python integration that we can make some serious progress...

PS: I submitted my vote!

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 08:41:10 pm »
votes += my vote :)

@dmoore, I 'm also on the python train, if you have any ideas just shoot, I 'm more than willing to help. Right now I use eclipse for pretty much everything because it's stable mature and full featured. Since you still see me around I have high hopes for c::b and yes this is what I use for my personal c++ development.
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline darthdespotism

• Almost regular
    • Coder's Nemesis
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 09:07:24 pm »
And yes, SPE is a very cool ide. It is a dream to develop python code with it.
That's the right info and the right time for me as I was starting to look into python as a scriptimg Language in addition to C++ as a compiled Language

I would say that Python itself is a dream to work with, but I had nothing but troubles getting SPE to work correctly on my PC (win32). Stani doesn't seem particularly interested in fostering an open community, which IMO would have led to the creation of a far more impressive and stable python IDE. I'd rather spend my time to contributing to C::B, which does have an active and inclusive community, and hope that one day there are enough people interested in improving CBs python integration that we can make some serious progress...

Seems that this Editor does have troubles not only under Windows but also under Linux.

I installed it from Ubuntu-Repos and it only complains about not finding wxPython 2.5 or later although it is definitly installed. (2.8 I believe)

Offline clyfish

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 11:24:48 am »
++CB

dr snuggles

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 01:58:55 pm »
I don't want to be rude, but if the best developing tool is only available as a nightly build or an RC2 version from the stoneage, isn't there something wrong? The best developing tool should be easy to install imho. Or we can turn it around: If we win this election, will there be an official RC3 which is easy to install for new users? :P.

Furthermore, I don't understand why I should vote for a tool, if I don't know all the tools and thus can't make a fair comparison. So actually, you just count the number of active users. Although this probably is a flaw in every election for something.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:06:21 pm by dr snuggles »

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 02:49:22 pm »
I don't want to be rude, but if the best developing tool is only available as a nightly build or an RC2 version from the stoneage, isn't there something wrong? The best developing tool should be easy to install imho. Or we can turn it around: If we win this election, will there be an official RC3 which is easy to install for new users? :P.
I don't think that an official rc3 will be more easy to install than a nightly (anyway, a person who develops c/c++ should know how to install software (=copy some files) on his os, doesn't he :wink:).

dr snuggles

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 04:35:39 pm »
I don't think that an official rc3 will be more easy to install than a nightly (anyway, a person who develops c/c++ should know how to install software (=copy some files) on his os, doesn't he :wink:).
An official RC3 can just be an exe file. Click three times next and you're done. For installing a nightly you have to invest time to read things. Download all kind of seperate files (ming32w, gdb, dll files, project file) and install each of them. We know it is worth the time, but a new user can be scared away like this. Besides, no one likes to waste time on things that can be automated :).

Offline jsibarani

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 02:10:16 pm »
Done.

Gemsky

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 02:56:53 am »
done!

Offline zac

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 07:49:12 am »
An official RC3 can just be an exe file. Click three times next and you're done. For installing a nightly you have to invest time to read things. Download all kind of seperate files (ming32w, gdb, dll files, project file) and install each of them. We know it is worth the time, but a new user can be scared away like this. Besides, no one likes to waste time on things that can be automated :).
Sorry, may be off-topic. I've found sb created an installation of nighty build of CB at http://www.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~goetz/codeblocks/ and the latest one as of this writing is 07-11-07 build, as well as some instruction for the installation.

May be this can help!