Author Topic: How to build wxwidgets-2.6.3 to work with code::blocks  (Read 25134 times)

ALLs

How to build wxwidgets-2.6.3 to work with code::blocks
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:17:00 am »
How to build wxwidgets-2.6.3 to work with code::blocks?

please help...

thx

Lukas

Re: How to build wxwidgets-2.6.3 to work with code::blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:25:08 am »
I think more information is needed to know precisely what you are after.

What finally worked for me in win32 was to build it with mingw and set the SHARED=1 and MONOLITHIC=1 flags, then all I had to do was alter the variable within codeblocks for the correct path and put the .dll somewhere useful.

Basically in /build/msw (if i recall correctly)
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1

I do not understand why I could not build the statically linked version though. I could not get around the linker errors, if anyone knows I am interested to hear.

Offline Didier69

• Single posting newcomer
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:24:28 am »
Hi,

First I installed mingw last version with the candidate option, then I used this wiki page and it worked for me ;).

ALLs

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:32:36 am »
I now build wx2.6.3 with:
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1

and set directories:
compiler:
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\include
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\contrib\include
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll\msw

linker:
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll\msw

resource:
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.3\include

but I get an error:

-------------- Build: Debug in test ---------------
Linking console executable: bin\Debug\test.exe
C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.4\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lwxmsw26u
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

what i must to do? help please...

thx

Lukas

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:39:36 am »
The u of  -lwxmsw26u means it's trying to link the unicode version. Check if you have a libwxmsw26 and if so link to that instead.
i.e replace wxmsw26u with wxmsw26 in the build options/linker

ALLs

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:52:03 am »
The u of  -lwxmsw26u means it's trying to link the unicode version. Check if you have a libwxmsw26 and if so link to that instead.
i.e replace wxmsw26u with wxmsw26 in the build options/linker

yes, i now deselect enable unicode in wizard and it working :shock:

thx on help...

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:31:48 am »
Hi,

First I installed mingw last version with the candidate option, then I used this wiki page and it worked for me ;).

Hello,

Or here :):

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1701.0

Best wishes,
Michael

wittend

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:30:38 pm »
I really like what I see in the Code::Blocks IDE.  I particularly want to use it with WxWidgets.  The combination seems to be just what I need for two high priority projects, and probably for the next generation of some others.

Unfortunately, of the many programming environments that I use, I have never encountered anything like the difficulty I have had attempting to get this combination configured to correctly compile trivial programs.  There is a large amount of well meaning help available,  including the documents on this forum, the Wiki, and the files included with the software.  Unfortunately, they are frequently contradictory, out of date, or simply at odds with the results that I obtain.

I prefer to use up to date, stable software, and I ordinarily avoid the latest beta's.  But both Code::Blocks and its most obvious alternative, Dev-C++ seem to be on a Moebius-strip glidepath to version 1.0.  I'm sure that some of my problems derive from the way wxWidgets is packaged and documented for distribution, as well.  At this point, the only way that I seem to be able to get useful compiles of MinGW/wxWidgets apps is to do manual command line builds in MSYS using the Makefiles built by configure as examples.

I don't believe that my current expectations are exotic.  I just want to be able to design and build straightforward wxWidgets 2.63 apps for (at present) the Win32 environment.  I don't have any reason to want to build Code::Blocks from source, so I have used the installer version.  Once installed, I want to build unicode apps, staticly linked, at least, but DLL-based would be a nice option, and debug versions of both static & DLL based apps would be icing on the cake.

I am currently using:

CodeBlocks that identifies itself on the startup page as: Version 1.0 revision 2061 (gcc 3.4.4 Windows/unicode, build: Feb 22 2006 16:56:26)
mingw32-make -v returns 3.80
The  wxWidgets version that I am compiling indicates that it is 2.63_1
I am not interested in ANSI builds.
I am using an AMD64 based PC running Windows 2003 with 2G ram and ~ 500G of disk, mostly free.

I have installed all the components that are claimed to be required.  I have done this repeatedly after exorcising every trace of previous attempts.  I have done the whole process on two different machines (gotta get a new laptop - 2hrs to build each wxWidgets library set is too long to bear).

The farthest that I have been able to get working with the IDE is to the point where I can create a default wxWidgets app using the template, add nothing to it - just build it, and I get a horror story of linkage errors.  These *appear* to my unaided eye to be due to a fundamental problem with calling convention or some such.  For ex:

mingw32-g++.exe -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\wx\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\wx\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\lib -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\wx\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib  -o wxwidgets_static.exe .objs\main.o    -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lctl3d32 -lodbc32 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwx_mswu-2.6.dll.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxzlib-2.6.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwx_mswu-2.6.dll.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxexpat-2.6.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxjpeg-2.6.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxpng-2.6.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxregexu-2.6.a D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwxtiff-2.6.a  -mwindows
Info: resolving wxStringBase::npos       by linking to __imp___ZN12wxStringBase4nposE (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxAppConsole::ms_appInstance        by linking to __imp___ZN12wxAppConsole14ms_appInstanceE (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxFrame::sm_eventTable       by linking to __imp___ZN7wxFrame13sm_eventTableE (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxFrameNameStr by linking to __imp__wxFrameNameStr (auto-import)

then:

Checking for existence: D:\Work\Commercial\test\wxwidgets_static.exe
Executing: "D:\Work\Commercial\test\wxwidgets_static.exe"  (in D:\Work\Commercial\test\.)
Process terminated with status 128 (0 minutes, 14 seconds)

which dies horribly with the message:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to terminate the application."

This is a seems like a very promising platform, but looking back it seems the I have been pissing away time on this for at *least* 6 mo, usually for 2-3 days/mo until I get so frustrated that I have to go on to other things.  I am either too dense to float or some real attention needs to be given to default setups, binary distributions and other issues that keep this from being a more popular solution.

Please understand, I do realize and appreciate the amount of effort that goes into a project like this.  Most of it is *so* good, that It is maddening when I cannot use it.

Dave Witten

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 07:34:20 pm »
Hello,

If I were you, I would:

1) Update and re-build wxWidgets with Patch 2 if you are still using a version with Patch 1.
2) Update C::B to the latest revision (nightly build or build by yourself).
3) Instead of using a template, try to generate a new project and set coorectly the include and lib directory (also set correctly the type of application you are developing, e.g., dll).

Best wishes,
Michael

PS.: Search also in the forum. I am quite sure that you will find some useful info.

wittend

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:16 pm »
Hello,

If I were you, I would:

1) Update and re-build wxWidgets with Patch 2 if you are still using a version with Patch 1.
3) Instead of using a template, try to generate a new project and set coorectly the include and lib directory (also set correctly the type of application you are developing, e.g., dll).

Best wishes,
Michael

PS.: Search also in the forum. I am quite sure that you will find some useful info.

Will do...  I see that the version on my main system is older that the one I worked with on another machine yesterday.  Aside from my venting, though, there seems to be more than the usual margin for error.  When you set out to set this up for the first time, A person who simply needs to get some work done has difficulty identifying the correct path to follow.

-- Dave

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:05 pm »
Try a recent nightly build (today's or yesterday's). One of the changes is the re-designed new project wizard which makes it so much easier to create a *valid* (i.e. with all the correct settings) wxWidgets app.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

wittend

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:51:35 pm »
Try a recent nightly build (today's or yesterday's). One of the changes is the re-designed new project wizard which makes it so much easier to create a *valid* (i.e. with all the correct settings) wxWidgets app.

Thanks.

I also had no Idea that there was a patch 2 available for wxWidgets.

Yes, its getting the settings right that is the key.  I see *so* many messages from people struggling with this. Which should be global, which project specific, which include folders will automatically end up with subolders appended by the build process, and why above all things does wxWidgets bury the critical setup.h include in a folder under lib?? 

I am glad that active development is proceeding so vigorously, but when a project is marked release candidate 2 shouldn't the project be feature-complete and all but the most subtle bugs have been squashed?

wittend

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 09:05:44 pm »
Hello,

If I were you, I would:

I did this...

Did this...

But this last is pretty unclear to me.  Generate using a template?  Write a project from scratch, using some other editor?  And use what as a guide to specifying the 'correct' include and lib directories?  All I have is settings that I *know* don't work, and I have a *lot* of them to choose from.  I will do my best to do something like this, but for now I have lost another workday on this project.

Best wishes,
Michael

Did that too - lots of lost souls out there...

So here is what my ultra trivial code says now when I build it.  In fact, the build doesn't report an error, It just acan't find an executable to run.

-- Dave

-------------- Build: default in test ---------------
mingw32-g++.exe -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\lib -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib  -o TEST.exe .objs\main.o    D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwx_mswu-2.6.dll.a  -mwindows
Info: resolving wxStringBase::npos       by linking to __imp___ZN12wxStringBase4nposE (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxAppConsole::ms_appInstance        by linking to __imp___ZN12wxAppConsole14ms_appInstanceE (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxFrame::sm_eventTable       by linking to __imp___ZN7wxFrame13sm_eventTableE (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxFrameNameStr by linking to __imp__wxFrameNameStr (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxDefaultSize by linking to __imp__wxDefaultSize (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxDefaultPosition by linking to __imp__wxDefaultPosition (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxStatusLineNameStr by linking to __imp__wxStatusLineNameStr (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxMenuby linking to __imp___ZTV6wxMenu (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxMenuBaseby linking to __imp___ZTV10wxMenuBase (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxListBaseby linking to __imp___ZTV10wxListBase (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxObjectby linking to __imp___ZTV8wxObject (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEmptyString by linking to __imp__wxEmptyString (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxFrameby linking to __imp___ZTV7wxFrame (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED by linking to __imp__wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEVT_NULL by linking to __imp__wxEVT_NULL (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxAppConsole::ms_appInitFn        by linking to __imp___ZN12wxAppConsole12ms_appInitFnE (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxwxMenuItemListNodeby linking to __imp___ZTV20wxwxMenuItemListNode (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxTopLevelWindows by linking to __imp__wxTopLevelWindows (auto-import)
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN6wxMenuC1ERK8wxStringl[wxMenu::wxMenu(wxString const&, long)]+0x5a): variable 'vtable for wxMenu' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN10wxMenuBaseC2ERK8wxStringl[wxMenuBase::wxMenuBase(wxString const&, long)]+0x4c): variable 'vtable for wxMenuBase' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN10wxListBaseC2E9wxKeyType[wxListBase::wxListBase(wxKeyType)]+0x45): variable 'vtable for wxListBase' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN8wxObjectD2Ev[wxObject::~wxObject()]+0xb): variable 'vtable for wxObject' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN8wxObjectC2Ev[wxObject::wxObject()]+0x8): variable 'vtable for wxObject' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN7wxFrameC2EP8wxWindowiRK8wxStringRK7wxPointRK6wxSizelS4_[wxFrame::wxFrame(wxWindow*, int, wxString const&, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&)]+0x4c): variable 'vtable for wxFrame' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN20wxwxMenuItemListNodeC1EP10wxListBasePS_S2_P10wxMenuItemRK9wxListKey[wxwxMenuItemListNode::wxwxMenuItemListNode(wxListBase*, wxwxMenuItemListNode*, wxwxMenuItemListNode*, wxMenuItem*, wxListKey const&)]+0x39): variable 'vtable for wxwxMenuItemListNode' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTV7MyFrame[vtable for MyFrame]+0x138): undefined reference to `wxWindow::RegisterHotKey(int, int, int)'
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTV7MyFrame[vtable for MyFrame]+0x13c): undefined reference to `wxWindow::UnregisterHotKey(int)'
0 errors, 0 warnings

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 09:36:03 pm »
Could you check if you have in the list of defines for your project WXUSINGDLL?

If it's not there add it and rebuild your project.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 09:55:04 pm »

But this last is pretty unclear to me.  Generate using a template?  Write a project from scratch, using some other editor?  And use what as a guide to specifying the 'correct' include and lib directories?  All I have is settings that I *know* don't work, and I have a *lot* of them to choose from.  I will do my best to do something like this, but for now I have lost another workday on this project.

Sorry to not have been very clear. I just meant to create an empty project and then add the include and libs directories, the libraries and whatever you need instead of using a template.

So here is what my ultra trivial code says now when I build it.  In fact, the build doesn't report an error, It just acan't find an executable to run.

-------------- Build: default in test ---------------
mingw32-g++.exe -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib -LD:\bin\CodeBlocks\lib -LD:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib  -o TEST.exe .objs\main.o    D:\bin\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\libwx_mswu-2.6.dll.a  -mwindows
Info: resolving _wxDefaultSize by linking to __imp__wxDefaultSize (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxDefaultPosition by linking to __imp__wxDefaultPosition (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxStatusLineNameStr by linking to __imp__wxStatusLineNameStr (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxMenuby linking to __imp___ZTV6wxMenu (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxMenuBaseby linking to __imp___ZTV10wxMenuBase (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxListBaseby linking to __imp___ZTV10wxListBase (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxObjectby linking to __imp___ZTV8wxObject (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEmptyString by linking to __imp__wxEmptyString (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxFrameby linking to __imp___ZTV7wxFrame (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED by linking to __imp__wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxEVT_NULL by linking to __imp__wxEVT_NULL (auto-import)
Info: resolving wxAppConsole::ms_appInitFn        by linking to __imp___ZN12wxAppConsole12ms_appInitFnE (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for wxwxMenuItemListNodeby linking to __imp___ZTV20wxwxMenuItemListNode (auto-import)
Info: resolving _wxTopLevelWindows by linking to __imp__wxTopLevelWindows (auto-import)
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN6wxMenuC1ERK8wxStringl[wxMenu::wxMenu(wxString const&, long)]+0x5a): variable 'vtable for wxMenu' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN10wxMenuBaseC2ERK8wxStringl[wxMenuBase::wxMenuBase(wxString const&, long)]+0x4c): variable 'vtable for wxMenuBase' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN10wxListBaseC2E9wxKeyType[wxListBase::wxListBase(wxKeyType)]+0x45): variable 'vtable for wxListBase' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN8wxObjectD2Ev[wxObject::~wxObject()]+0xb): variable 'vtable for wxObject' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN8wxObjectC2Ev[wxObject::wxObject()]+0x8): variable 'vtable for wxObject' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN7wxFrameC2EP8wxWindowiRK8wxStringRK7wxPointRK6wxSizelS4_[wxFrame::wxFrame(wxWindow*, int, wxString const&, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&)]+0x4c): variable 'vtable for wxFrame' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.text$_ZN20wxwxMenuItemListNodeC1EP10wxListBasePS_S2_P10wxMenuItemRK9wxListKey[wxwxMenuItemListNode::wxwxMenuItemListNode(wxListBase*, wxwxMenuItemListNode*, wxwxMenuItemListNode*, wxMenuItem*, wxListKey const&)]+0x39): variable 'vtable for wxwxMenuItemListNode' can't be auto-imported. Please read the documentation for ld's --enable-auto-import for details.
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTV7MyFrame[vtable for MyFrame]+0x138): undefined reference to `wxWindow::RegisterHotKey(int, int, int)'
.objs\main.o:main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTV7MyFrame[vtable for MyFrame]+0x13c): undefined reference to `wxWindow::UnregisterHotKey(int)'
0 errors, 0 warnings

I have given a try to the wxWidgets template (Windows XP SP2, rev2689 built with GCC 3.4.5, wxWidgets 2.6.3 Patch 2 built with GCC 4.0.3, GCC 3.4.5) and it works fine. It builds without errors and warning and runs fine.

May be the problems you have are not with C::B or the template, but e.g., with your wxWidgets or others.

Patch 2 for wxWidgets 2.6.3 can be found here.

Best wishes,
Michael