Author Topic: GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW  (Read 18884 times)

JacK-DuRdEn_

Re: GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 04:55:03 am »
so it's not that there has been a change in the way c++ works, it's that such a huge upgrade of something like a compiler is bound to cause bugs?

exactly. as far as i know there aren't changes in the way c++ (or any language for that matter) for looong years. any project of great magnitude like a compiler is bound to have regressions and compatibility problems with the way thing were done before. that's why they release beta versions and make release candidates etc.

Balazs

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 12:55:40 am »
Just to add a little info:
GCC 4 optimizes MUCH better, than any 3.x version. I have written an image processing plugin for avisynth some time ago, and compiled with gcc 4 with -march=pentium3 -O3, it as about 2 times faster, than compiled with the EXACT same flags with gcc 3.4.5
I have also read about this, that gcc 4 uses much more modern and robust optimization techniques, and my results only confirm this.

Another thing:
Why is it needed to install gcc 4 to C:\MinGW? I tried in other directory, where I prefer, but there it cannot find it's own includes and libs. How come? Is C:\MinGW hard coded into g++.exe? (I hope not)

--
Greets,
B.

sethjackson

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 01:15:39 am »
Another thing:
Why is it needed to install gcc 4 to C:\MinGW? I tried in other directory, where I prefer, but there it cannot find it's own includes and libs. How come? Is C:\MinGW hard coded into g++.exe? (I hope not)

--
Greets,
B.

No it is not hard coded. You just need to tell C::B where to look for GCC 4. :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 01:47:39 am »
It seems the path for includes and libs gets hardcoded somewhere in the compilation process. I don't know the reason it happens but it does.

Checking g++.exe from GCC 4.1.1, there's a C:/MinGW hardcoded into it, and checking g++.exe from GCC 3.4.5 there's no path at all there, but just changing that won't fix it.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:09:03 pm »
Another thing:

--
Greets,
B.

Hello,

Ceniza is right.

The first time I have tried GCC 4.1.0 in a MinGW not installed in C:\, I got several troubles to make it works with C::B. Since I installed MinGW in C:\ all works like a charm (no need for special tricks).

Best wishes,
Michael

sethjackson

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 07:14:29 pm »
Another thing:

--
Greets,
B.

Hello,

Ceniza is right.

The first time I have tried GCC 4.1.0 in a MinGW not installed in C:\, I got several troubles to make it works with C::B. Since I installed MinGW in C:\ all works like a charm (no need for special tricks).

Best wishes,
Michael

Well I stand corrected. :)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 05:36:36 am »
Is there any way to change the directory it is installed in?  I use a couple of versions.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
That's the biggest mystery right now.

What I did was to create many bin directories, like bin-4.0.3 and bin-4.1.1, and rename them to just bin when I want to use that version.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 03:03:00 am »
Currently, on my winXP system, I am using System variables.

MINGW = %DEVHOME%\compilers\mingw%MINGWVER%

DEVHOME is the base development directories

MINGWVER is the mingw version like:
MINGWVER=3.4.5

under the path variable:

path =%MINGW%\bin

You have to exit cmd prompts & CB to get them to see the change, but it might be easier for some parts.  The nice thing about this is I only have to change MINGWVER & exit out of cmd prompts & CB.  I also use the system variables in the directory lists.

Him, has anyone mentioned this to the gcc people?  It is definately an annoying bug.  I hope it's fixed before 4.2 come out because that version should be able to compile wxWidgets without all the annoying warnings.  A patch fixing was applied to that version.

jmccay
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 03:21:16 am by jmccay »

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Poobah

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 07:42:02 am »
Ceniza, hasn't this been available since May? (Thanks, by the way.)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 03:34:37 pm »
Hmmm... yes, it's been available since May, 4 days after the official release, but I don't get the reason for that question :?

Now, about the path thingy, I haven't reported it, but there must be a way around since the MinGW people get it to work correctly, and the solution could be somewhere in their site :)

Poobah

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 11:27:56 pm »
Oh, never mind. I thought this was a new thread, and that you were only just announcing GCC 4.1.1 for Windows now.