Author Topic: GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW  (Read 18757 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:47:04 am »
For those interested in trying the latest release of GCC, I'll be providing a link to GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW in my signature in a few minutes.

GCC 4.1.0 was able to compile Code::Blocks but failed compiling wxWidgets. GCC 4.0.3 was able to compile wxWidgets but failed compiling Code::Blocks. I wonder how it'll be for GCC 4.1.1 (I'm gonna try soon) :)

That said, wait for the link :D

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: GCC 4.1.1 for MinGW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 07:12:21 am »
Too bad... this version failed to compile wxWidgets 2.6.3 :(

Anyway, the link is there if anyone feels like trying it.

yaoye

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 09:30:00 am »

Anyway, the link is there if anyone feels like trying it.

nice work, thank you!

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:08:49 am »
thx.

Ceniza,
did you ever discuss this with the wx people ??

Cheers,
Lieven

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »

Good work. Another GCC version to try out :D.

Did you try to compile C::B with it?

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:59:28 pm »

Hello,

I have spoken a lot, but concerning GCC 4.1.0. There should be at least one thread in this forum.

To make it short :), I could compile wxWidgets (Patch 2), but not linking it :(.

Unfortunately, no solution until now (AFAIK).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 04:51:11 pm »
Quote from: yaoye
nice work, thank you!

np :)

Quote from: killerbot

Well, I'd say the real problem is GCC itself, but every single bug I've reported has been marked as duplicated :)

Quote from: Michael

Nop. When I saw it failed compiling wx just like 4.1.0 did, I restored 3.4.5 immediately and went to sleep :)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:04:06 pm »
Quote from: Michael
Nop. When I saw it failed compiling wx just like 4.1.0 did, I restored 3.4.5 immediately and went to sleep :)

Ok :).

Personally, I use wxWidgets 2.6.3 (+Patch 2) built with GCC 4.0.3 for building C::B with GCC 4.1.0 (later with your newest GCC 4.1.1 version) :).

Best wishes,
Michael

siomek

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:32:56 pm »
GCC 4.1.1 - MINGW.7z is not supported archive. The same for all gcc versions from site. Windows xp sp2, 7-zip 4.42.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 07:46:27 am »
Some download managers seem to have problems getting files from there and they get corrupted. A way to check if your download is fine is to run md5sum on it (a quick search in Google for md5sum.exe should be enough to get it) and compare the hash value you get with that provided in the site (the .md5 file).

If the hash value is different then your file is corrupted, but if it's the same then your "unpacker" has problems.

siomek

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:24 pm »
Right, it was downloader problem. Thanks for help.

Offline jarro_2783

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Project Freedom
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »
why do newer versions of gcc fail to compile lots of things anyway?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:32 pm »
Quote from: jarro_2783

Well, the new versions of GCC include many changes and many new optimization features, and just as one would expect, such a big project with such big changes can lead to some evil bugs.

What's sad is the win32 port seems to be the most buggy one :(

Someone

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:25 pm »
Quote from: jarro_2783

Well, the new versions of GCC include many changes and many new optimization features, and just as one would expect, such a big project with such big changes can lead to some evil bugs.

What's sad is the win32 port seems to be the most buggy one :(

Thanks a lot for the compilation.
So far, works for me - fine.
I did compile fltk2 and gsl :-)
The only think is that the code is normally a bit ~30kb bigger that the code compiled with gcc (mingw) 3.4.5.
It would be very interest to see if the situation will change with compilation options a bit altered.
Could you please, before rebuilding gcc replace all "-g -o2" and "-o2" instances on "-Os -fno-exceptions -DHAVE_INLINE". This instructions known to drastically reduce size of executables (hence libraries).

Offline jarro_2783

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Project Freedom
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 03:36:39 am »
so it's not that there has been a change in the way c++ works, it's that such a huge upgrade of something like a compiler is bound to cause bugs?

JacK-DuRdEn_

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 04:55:03 am »
so it's not that there has been a change in the way c++ works, it's that such a huge upgrade of something like a compiler is bound to cause bugs?

exactly. as far as i know there aren't changes in the way c++ (or any language for that matter) for looong years. any project of great magnitude like a compiler is bound to have regressions and compatibility problems with the way thing were done before. that's why they release beta versions and make release candidates etc.

Balazs

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 12:55:40 am »
Just to add a little info:
GCC 4 optimizes MUCH better, than any 3.x version. I have written an image processing plugin for avisynth some time ago, and compiled with gcc 4 with -march=pentium3 -O3, it as about 2 times faster, than compiled with the EXACT same flags with gcc 3.4.5
I have also read about this, that gcc 4 uses much more modern and robust optimization techniques, and my results only confirm this.

Another thing:
Why is it needed to install gcc 4 to C:\MinGW? I tried in other directory, where I prefer, but there it cannot find it's own includes and libs. How come? Is C:\MinGW hard coded into g++.exe? (I hope not)

--
Greets,
B.

sethjackson

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 01:15:39 am »
Another thing:
Why is it needed to install gcc 4 to C:\MinGW? I tried in other directory, where I prefer, but there it cannot find it's own includes and libs. How come? Is C:\MinGW hard coded into g++.exe? (I hope not)

--
Greets,
B.

No it is not hard coded. You just need to tell C::B where to look for GCC 4. :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 01:47:39 am »
It seems the path for includes and libs gets hardcoded somewhere in the compilation process. I don't know the reason it happens but it does.

Checking g++.exe from GCC 4.1.1, there's a C:/MinGW hardcoded into it, and checking g++.exe from GCC 3.4.5 there's no path at all there, but just changing that won't fix it.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:09:03 pm »
Another thing:

--
Greets,
B.

Hello,

Ceniza is right.

The first time I have tried GCC 4.1.0 in a MinGW not installed in C:\, I got several troubles to make it works with C::B. Since I installed MinGW in C:\ all works like a charm (no need for special tricks).

Best wishes,
Michael

sethjackson

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 07:14:29 pm »
Another thing:

--
Greets,
B.

Hello,

Ceniza is right.

The first time I have tried GCC 4.1.0 in a MinGW not installed in C:\, I got several troubles to make it works with C::B. Since I installed MinGW in C:\ all works like a charm (no need for special tricks).

Best wishes,
Michael

Well I stand corrected. :)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 05:36:36 am »
Is there any way to change the directory it is installed in?  I use a couple of versions.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
That's the biggest mystery right now.

What I did was to create many bin directories, like bin-4.0.3 and bin-4.1.1, and rename them to just bin when I want to use that version.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 03:03:00 am »
Currently, on my winXP system, I am using System variables.

MINGW = %DEVHOME%\compilers\mingw%MINGWVER%

DEVHOME is the base development directories

MINGWVER is the mingw version like:
MINGWVER=3.4.5

under the path variable:

path =%MINGW%\bin

You have to exit cmd prompts & CB to get them to see the change, but it might be easier for some parts.  The nice thing about this is I only have to change MINGWVER & exit out of cmd prompts & CB.  I also use the system variables in the directory lists.

Him, has anyone mentioned this to the gcc people?  It is definately an annoying bug.  I hope it's fixed before 4.2 come out because that version should be able to compile wxWidgets without all the annoying warnings.  A patch fixing was applied to that version.

jmccay
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 03:21:16 am by jmccay »

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Poobah

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 07:42:02 am »
Ceniza, hasn't this been available since May? (Thanks, by the way.)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 03:34:37 pm »
Hmmm... yes, it's been available since May, 4 days after the official release, but I don't get the reason for that question :?

Now, about the path thingy, I haven't reported it, but there must be a way around since the MinGW people get it to work correctly, and the solution could be somewhere in their site :)

Poobah

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 11:27:56 pm »
Oh, never mind. I thought this was a new thread, and that you were only just announcing GCC 4.1.1 for Windows now.