Author Topic: Thank you! (very impressed newbie)  (Read 5398 times)

HealingAura

Thank you! (very impressed newbie)
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:47:26 am »
I just downloaded today Code::Blocks and it is great!  :D
I'm studying Computer Science so I write programs in C and C++ and my programs must run under gcc or g++ comands of unix (so I use GNU GCC compiler - I hope it's the right one). I used to work with Dev c++ but Code::Blocks is much better. It has everything a programer needs :) and the debugger is so useful and simple to use.

One thing bothers me and it is the little menu that pops up when I write "." or "->" that let me choose from all the functions in the class - is there a way to disable it or make this menu come manualy (pressing certain keys)?

So, to the ones that made this program: Thank you very much! You are very helpful!  :D

sethjackson

Re: Thank you! (very impressed newbie)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:51:23 am »
One thing bothers me and it is the little menu that pops up when I write "." or "->" that let me choose from all the functions in the class - is there a way to disable it or make this menu come manualy (pressing certain keys)?

Yes there is just turn code-completion off.

Settings -> Editor -> Code-completion and symbols browser -> Disable code completion (assuming you have a nightly, or you built C::B from a newer SVN trunk revision).

If you have RC2. Get a nightly from here.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:10:58 am »

You can also manually show the Code-Completion menu by pressing 'Ctrl+Space'.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

HealingAura

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:41:27 am »
Thank you guys :)
By the way, I use C::B version 1.0rc2 (got it from the "download" section)
What is a nighty?
I downloaded 3 files from the newest post from the link: wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z,  CB_20060522_rev2484_win32.7z, mingwm10.7z
but I don't know what to do with them  :?

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:13:42 am »
Thank you guys :)

No Problem.  :D

What is a nighty?

A nightly build is a build each night with all the development that was done that day compiled in. Now since C::B is under a lot of development you will get all the "bleeding edge" features already compiled for you.

If you were impressed with rc2 just wait till you try out the nightly build!

I downloaded 3 files from the newest post from the link: wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z,  CB_20060522_rev2484_win32.7z, mingwm10.7z
but I don't know what to do with them  :?

You need to do a bit of work, but it is REALLY worth it.

Things you need to download:

Things you need to do:
      • Install 7-zip.
      • Install MinGW v5.0.2. Note: Make sure to choose to install g++ and gcc. The other options are up to you.
      • Install GDB v6.3-2.
      • Uninstall Code::Blocks rc2 if you have it installed.
      • Uncompress the nightly build to a directory with 7-Zip. ex. C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks
      • Run Code::Blocks and it should automatically find the MinGW install.

Enjoy Code::Blocks

Edit: These steps are from memory so just be aware and ask questions if you need to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:18:46 am by RJP Computing »
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:03:06 pm »
>I just downloaded today Code::Blocks and it is great!

Welcome! I'm new also, but love Code::Blocks and have been experimenting with using it with wxWidgets and it works like a dream!

I have a question regarding the new MinGW compiler. I originally installed C::B RC2, but have simply dropped in the occasional nightly build.

Is it worth me upgrading my MinGW installation? What improvements would I get?
BigAngryDog.com

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:36:16 pm »
Is it worth me upgrading my MinGW installation? What improvements would I get?
No.

3.4.4 and 3.4.5 are not that different, in fact, you will probably not notice any difference at all.
However, it will be very worthwhile to upgrade once a gcc 4.1 MinGW build comes out.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."