Author Topic: Linux beta testers wanted  (Read 56535 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Linux beta testers wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 04:49:42 pm »
That's cool! :) Because I'm done on 50% of the compiler plugin.

Then it's only codecompletion (somebody help please), and we got unicode! :D

takeshimiya

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 12:15:24 am »
I'll try to see if I can test later C::B in debian in my sister's PC, because my motherboard's chipset doesn't work in any distro.
So my only solutions are VMWare (too slow for me) or coLinux (I tried several times but failed to got it working ok).

Recommendation: Don't buy a motherboard with an ATI chipset if you want to run linux =|
New hardware/less known hardware doesn't go well with linux kernel.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 01:07:19 am by takeshimiya »

Offline PerryWerneck

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 07:05:02 pm »

Hi,

I Just started using it on Mandriva Linux 2006. I'm using for a few hours now and the only problem (until now) was a hang when importing a big project.
---
Perry Werneck
Brasilia - DF - Brazil

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:22 pm »
I Just started using it on Mandriva Linux 2006
Woah... I installed Mandriva last weekend to be able to build binaries for that distro, but gave up on the idea after it told me "We are the Borg, we will assimilate your partition table". :lol:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 07:37:53 pm »
Perhaps now that Codeblocks is much more mature, we should apply for the compiler farm at sourceforge, i mean, they sure got a million distros in there... i think... :|

Edit: nevermind. I just looked at their hosts list.

* x86-linux2: Fedora Linux FC2 running Linux 2.6 kernel
    * x86-openbsd1: OpenBSD 3.4
    * x86-solaris1: Sun Solaris 9
    * x86-linux1: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 running Linux 2.4 kernel
    * x86-freebsd1: FreeBSD 4.8
    * x86-netbsd1: NetBSD 1.6.1
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:39:44 pm by rickg22 »

takeshimiya

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 10:34:26 pm »
I opted-in the other day for the compile farm, but I dunno how to SSH correctly (I'm newbie here, when I try to login it says wrong password).
I'm also not sure if you need to figure as a project developer.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 11:08:50 pm »
I'm also not sure if you need to figure as a project developer.

That's true, only project developers can opt-in for compile farm usage (at least that's what I read :P).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 11:20:56 pm »
I am against using the compile farm because of the implied security risks.
Of course nothing can prevent any of the Code::Blocks developers to deliberately build some kind of malware into the executable, but hey! I guess we should have that much trust!
On the other hand, you have absolutely no clue what goes on when you use a computer at the SF compile farm. You did not install the machine, you don't own it, and you don't know who has been using it before.
It might be just fine, but you might as well unintentionally bundle a trojan with your executable -- and unless it is a well-known variant, it may as well go unnoticed.

This possiblity is quite an argument against using the compile farm.

SF recommends against it, too:
While we encourage the use of the Compile Farm for porting your software to new platforms, and for testing your software, we discourage the use of the Compile Farm for creating packages for distribution to other users.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 11:22:48 pm »
I am against using the compile farm because of the implied security risks.
Of course nothing can prevent any of the Code::Blocks developers to deliberately build some kind of malware into the executable, but hey! I guess we should have that much trust!
On the other hand, you have absolutely no clue what goes on when you use a computer at the SF compile farm. You did not install the machine, you don't own it, and you don't know who has been using it before.
It might be just fine, but you might as well unintentionally bundle a trojan with your executable -- and unless it is a well-known variant, it may as well go unnoticed.

This possiblity is quite an argument against using the compile farm.

SF recommends against it, too:
While we encourage the use of the Compile Farm for porting your software to new platforms, and for testing your software, we discourage the use of the Compile Farm for creating packages for distribution to other users.

Maybe use it for testing... Then compile the released version on a dev's PC??

takeshimiya

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 11:30:29 pm »
thomas: Compile Farm is for testing, for the packages we'll have C::B in official repositories I hope.

BTW, I highly doubt security risks, they are *nix machines and they'd give you a limited account, and users of the Compiler Farm can't install software system-wide.

Trojans in linux? And Sourceforge? Even Compile Farm, which is disabled by default in all accounts? I agree to not make packages from these boxes, but you got a little paranoid, ne? :P

takeshimiya

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 11:36:07 pm »
That's true, only project developers can opt-in for compile farm usage (at least that's what I read :P).

I'm not a project developer (in sf cb) and I opted-in, but I'm not sure if I'll have access to the C::B files from there.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 11:44:29 pm »
Trojans in linux? And Sourceforge? Even Compile Farm, which is disabled by default in all accounts? I agree to not make packages from these boxes, but you got a little paranoid, ne? :P

I think practical. If I am to spread malware, then whom will I attack? Will I try to break into your PC and try to get my malware sent to the 10 people in your address book?
Or will I attack a computer which is used by 1000 developers who might be foolish enough to build packages which are then downloaded by 500.000 users? Think about it...

So clearly, the SF compile farm servers are a much more intersting target, and the threat is a lot higher. Also, do not be fooled by the fact that they run Unix. There are security holes in Unix too. Fewer than in Windows, sure, but Unix is not unbreakable, either. In particular if you are allowed to execute arbitrary software on the machine.

takeshimiya

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 12:25:45 am »
I challenge you to show me one case of malware in Compile Farm.
If we're going to be paranoid, there's more chance to get Yiannis' Windows infected when creating the win32 package, thanks to the autodownloaded windows worms when you don't have applied the latest security fixes.

Anyways, please stay on topic, no one here talked about creating packages from Compile Farm, we are talking about testing.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 12:55:01 am »
Anyways, please stay on topic, no one here talked about creating packages from Compile Farm

*Walks away from the dogfight, whistling innocently...*

guppy

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 09:04:26 am »
*tag*

Ill help out;

Linux/Gentoo [Portage 2.0.51.22-r3 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.6, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 i686)]

Build env:

sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20
x11-libs/wxGTK: 2.6.1

RC2 compiles flawlessly "out of the box"
cvs needs manual addition of src/sdk to include path.