Author Topic: Little Tiny Feature Suggestion  (Read 5094 times)

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
Little Tiny Feature Suggestion
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:38:10 pm »
The "workspace" concept really confuses me. I seem to be able to [accidently] open mutliple projects and I get mixed up with what I'm compiling or editing. Also CodeBlocks keeps asking me "do I want to save the workspace" and I don't really know what it is I'm saving or whether it forms part of my project or not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking it, and I can see that the workspace is a valuable concept and there may come a day when I want to use it.

However, would it be possible at some point to add an option to disable the workspace, so that only a single project file maybe open at any one time? Therefore, if I have a project open, and I go to open another one, CodeBlocks will prompt me to save the existing one, close it, and then open the new one.

Just my thoughts. :)
BigAngryDog.com

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Little Tiny Feature Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
I am not sure if removing workspaces would be easy (and whether it would be a good idea, either), as quite a few features depend on a workspace (if only the "blank" Workspace) being present.

The concept is actually very easy: workspace = collection of projects. Saving a workspace = saving the information necessary to re-open a given collection of projects (has nothing to do with saving a project!)

Personally, I have Code::Blocks configured to "Open blank workspace", and it never asks me to save anything (which is what I want, too).
I prefer to open one project at a time, so I don't really use workspaces, but occasionally it is handy to be able to open two or three projects, too. Takes a snap to switch between them.

Maybe setting preferences to "Open blank workspace" will get you the behaviour you want.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Defender

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:21:40 pm »
Hello!

Sorry for going a little bit off-topic, but I think the title fits my post.
I have a small suggestion, we may duscuss about.
I think, that it would make sense to move the "Default Code" setting to Workspace/Project level. For me, I always put there Project specific code (like a disclaimer comment), and I wonder, what default code could be valid across multiple workspaces.
What do you think?  :)

Regards, Defender.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:39:24 pm »
Sorry for going a little bit off-topic
Hmm... that's not going a little bit off-topic, that's hijacking the thread...

Why don't you start a separate thread on this? ;)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Defender

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:49:07 pm »
Sorry for going a little bit off-topic
Hmm... that's not going a little bit off-topic, that's hijacking the thread...

Why don't you start a separate thread on this? ;)
I didn't know that was such a big sin.   :D

Offline BigAngryDog

• BigAngryDog.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 05:56:23 pm »
>I am not sure if removing workspaces would be easy (and whether it would be a good idea, either),...

Certainly I would agree that it should not be added if it would only cause more problems than it's worth. As you suggest, it may make sense to leave things are they are.

I'll just have to get to like workspaces. :)

Thanks for replying.
BigAngryDog.com