Author Topic: The 16 May 2006 build is out.  (Read 27362 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 16 May 2006 build is out.
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:20:33 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml
A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z
For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z

The 16 May 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060516_rev2469_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060516_rev2469_ubuntu.deb (not yet)
         http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060516_rev2469_fc4+5.rpm (not yet)

Resolved Fixed:

• Patch #1039 : Missing slash for editor zoom
  • Added a null-pointer check, removed an unnecessary if
  • Ghost application when launching tool without console bug fixed
  • Fixed issues with debugger breakpoints
  • Compiler and debugger are now aware of each other and. If the compiler sees that the debugger is active, it aborts the build. Similarly, if the debugger sees that the compiler is active, it aborts the debugging session
  • Fixed rare debugger freeze (only "stop" button working). Usually happened when watching uninitialized "char*" variables
  • Enhanced configuration for message manager auto-hide: can be enabled to selectively auto-show on search-in-files, build errors and build warnings
  • Remember user's preferred templates: file-based and/or wizard-based (feature request #2209)
  • file new/open now remembers it's last directory/mask
  • Minor clean-up regarding the splash screen (patch #1057)
  • When creating a new project and one of the project files already existed (and then renamed), the new project would reference the already existing file and not the renamed one (bug #7099, patch #1043)
  • Fixed arguments passing to executable when running under the debugger (bug #7287)
  • wxSmith redesign:
     * Fixed bugs for editor area using scrollbars

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • there are several issues with Code Completion (is being redesigned : work in progress)

lfm

Re: The 16 May 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:31:16 am »
thank you

riverbird

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:42:29 am »
I'm waiting for your chinese version for a long long time.if your chinese version have been finished,I will tell a lot of my friend for this IDE.and introducer this software for a lot of of chinese friend.

acercpp

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:59:52 am »
I'm waiting for your chinese version for a long long time.if your chinese version have been finished,I will tell a lot of my friend for this IDE.and introducer this software for a lot of of chinese friend.
what are you doing here? do you think now is the time for talking about the various language versions? why you can not use the E version? do not ask that stupid question any more. let me tell you, every Chinese programmer could use any kind of English version's IDE as well. If you can not, go back home to study English. Because as you see, the programming language itself is based on English, and lots of the newest documentations are written in English. Moreover, I believe that all the Chinese Uni students at least should pass the English level 4 of their domestic English test system. Thus, find the problem from yourself, improve you English skills and be a good programmer. At last, I think there also will be a Chinese version in the future, but not now. I just tired to look at your messages again and again, so...pardon me.

Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:17:57 am »
Are you planning to update your web site and put there new official release? Personally I'm using nightly builds, but I see that your official release is ages old.

Keep up a good work.  :lol:

riverbird

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:40:36 am »
I'm sorry to hear that .also I like this IDE,and I think it is my lovest!!!everyday,when I use my computer, the first thing is download your new version IDE,and do a lot of test for you! so next time ,I will give you a lot of surgest about your programer,except "chinaese version".good luck for you!

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:59:42 am »
[...],except "chinaese version".

Hello,

If you are interested you can translate C::B in chinese. Look at here:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1022.0

Best wishes,
Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 12:32:21 pm »
acercpp: You're offending a lot of people on this forum by your comment.

what are you doing here? do you think now is the time for talking about the various language versions? why you can not use the E version?
AFAIK he said "I will tell a lot of my friend for this IDE.and introducer this software for a lot of of chinese friend". He never said he can't use it. Please learn to read english yourself.

do not ask that stupid question any more.
He can continue asking while he didn't got a satisfying reply before. It is not welcomed to be a fascist here.

let me tell you, every Chinese programmer could use any kind of English version's IDE as well. If you can not, go back home to study English.
You evidently don't know something called "entry barrier".

Because as you see, the programming language itself is based on English
That is funny, as for the english part, programming languages only use a very few keywords.
Everything else such as the program itself, the documentation, forums, etc can exist perfectly in any idiom such as Chinese or any other.

Moreover, I believe that all the Chinese Uni students at least should pass the English level 4 of their domestic English test system.
It is amazing how blind and close minded can be as of 2006. I believe it should be a personal choice. But everything isn't as easy for everyone when the entire writting system is different.
You should know that Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion people) is the most spoken language in the world. Certainly not english (480 million), including native and secondary speakers.

Thus, find the problem from yourself, improve you English skills
Again, learn to read, he didn't said he wanted for him the localization.
By the above logic, one can say "find the problem yourself, improve your Chinese skills, as it's the most spoken language", and if China becomes the economic/technologic leader nation tomorrow, instead of an english-based one like today's USA, you will not like anyone telling you "improve your Chinese skills".

I just tired to look at your messages again and again
Why don't you learn to write proper english yourself instead of telling others what to do?

You could have written your message in something more nice and useful in the lines of:
"riverbird, you can download a Simplified Chinese language catalog translated by Heromyth from here: https://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=820&group_id=5358
to put in your actual Code::Blocks, or download from here an already built C::B including Chinese made by Heromyth (non-official) from here: http://bitworld.ys168.com "
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:36:56 pm by Takeshi Miya »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 01:48:26 pm »

acercpp: You're offending a lot of people on this forum by your comment.

Agreed. This is an international forum. English is just its' means of expression.

thanks Takeshi
pecan

Offline tretton

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 02:00:06 pm »
Wow, that was fast! Unfortunately, the auto-show feature doesn't work for me. :( It acts just like before, regardless of how I tick the new boxes. Does it work for you guys?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 02:24:45 pm »
It is true that acer's reply could have been a lot more polite.

However, he does have a point. Riverbird made a total of 5 posts, all during the last two days, and each of them reads "there should be a Chinese version".
Maybe a more suitable reply (apart from pointing to Heromyth's simplified version) would have been: "if it is this important, feel free to work on it".

It is true that localisation makes life easier for many people, that is not a big surprise. However, it is true too, that nagging several times per day can easily annoy people. Even though their reactions may be unsuitable, you have to understand that they are only human beings, too. As such, they get annoyed, and as such they get angry and forget about themselves. That's not pretty, but it happens. I have to bite my tongue more than once per week, and still it does not always work...

I shall not go into detail about this blah blah about fascism and Manadrin, as that does not lead anywhere. But let me say that it is quite a bit of nonsense, Takeshi.

Getting back to Chinese:
Apart from the fact that it may not be the right time to do massive localisation yet (many texts are still being changed), we will have no easy time producing a Chinese version at all.
As you know, none of the developers speak this particular language, so if there shall be a Chinese version, it will have to be supplied by the community for the better or the worse.
But again, since many texts still change at this stage (and new texts are added daily), I don't recommend wasting your precious time now -- you'll have to do it again later.
It seems more sensible to do all the translations after 1.0final is out. They can always be downloaded via web update then, and you'll only have a fraction of the trouble.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 03:05:02 pm »
It is true that acer's reply could have been a lot more polite.
However, he does have a point.
Yes, he did have a point which I didn't pointed out, because he was on the tone "you must do blabla" instead of "I think...".
However his point becomes invalid since riverbird is new on the forums, since riverbird didn't got satisfying replies before, since riverbird didn't have any bad intentions (notice his last reply to him), and since acerpp reply is viewed as some kind of racism (which probably wasn't his intention, but again it didn't offended only riverbird, it offended the entire forum).

Getting back to Chinese:
Apart from the fact that it may not be the right time to do massive localisation yet (many texts are still being changed), we will have no easy time producing a Chinese version at all.
As you know, none of the developers speak this particular language, so if there shall be a Chinese version, it will have to be supplied by the community for the better or the worse.
But again, since many texts still change at this stage (and new texts are added daily), I don't recommend wasting your precious time now -- you'll have to do it again later.
It seems more sensible to do all the translations after 1.0final is out. They can always be downloaded via web update then, and you'll only have a fraction of the trouble.
Yes all of that is correct, but the actual Heromyth translation is pretty up to date, I think riverbird will be happy with it in the meantime.

acercpp

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 04:49:28 pm »
See what I did, hehe. Firstly, I have to appologize, especially for Mr./Miss. riverbird, about the words I used for the previous response. I expressed my opinion in a wrong way. Actually, I was in a bad mood on that time despites that is not a good reason :). But for rivebird's reply to me, I saw he or she has totally got my idea (I think), that is what I encouraged him to do, and I am so happy about that.

To Takeshi Miya:
I think you totally got the wrong idea from my reply, but yes, I have the responsibility to explain. I was really not want to offend anyone here, coz we are all the 'fans' of C::B, and we have the same expectation even the same 'language' on it. Definitely, I am pretty sure that I know much much more than you about China. let us say to be a programmer in China, and it is a Chinese company, do you know what is the first obligatory requirement? Yes, one must have the strong ability to read the English documentations. Just like our project about the AOP in JBoss, except English I could not find any more useful information on it. I'd like to see you said that 'if China will...', yes, I believe so. Also I will give my contribution for that. Even so, all of us know what could be changed and what could not be, especially in IT field. By the way, the reason explained by thomas is what I exactly want to express too.

At last, I want to tell you, the information you gave for the Chinese mandaring speaker is absolutely wrong. I think you do not know much about China (please do not angry, I do not wanna offend you again, hehe). It is not suitable to talk about it much here. If you really want to know much about that, do not feel hesitating to ask me or riverbird.

Alright, stop here. Let us do what we need to do, stop debating on some boring and useless things. And I have to apologize again for my previous response.

acercpp

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 05:13:22 pm »
How ugly the word 'racism' is!!!!! If one do not look down upon himself, no one could, please keep that in mind.

Cheers mate

EricKane

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 07:20:06 pm »
How ugly the word 'racism' is!!!!! If one do not look down upon himself, no one could, please keep that in mind.
The word "racism" is too severe,but I suggest you improve your moral character. That is important!
<unknown language deleted>

Administrator edit: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3123.msg24795#msg24795
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:23:57 pm by mandrav »

takeshimiya

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 09:26:14 pm »
To Takeshi Miya:
I think you totally got the wrong idea from my reply, but yes, I have the responsibility to explain. I was really not want to offend anyone here, coz we are all the 'fans' of C::B, and we have the same expectation even the same 'language' on it. Definitely, I am pretty sure that I know much much more than you about China. let us say to be a programmer in China, and it is a Chinese company, do you know what is the first obligatory requirement? Yes, one must have the strong ability to read the English documentations. Just like our project about the AOP in JBoss, except English I could not find any more useful information on it. I'd like to see you said that 'if China will...', yes, I believe so. Also I will give my contribution for that. Even so, all of us know what could be changed and what could not be, especially in IT field. By the way, the reason explained by thomas is what I exactly want to express too.

At last, I want to tell you, the information you gave for the Chinese mandaring speaker is absolutely wrong. I think you do not know much about China (please do not angry, I do not wanna offend you again, hehe). It is not suitable to talk about it much here. If you really want to know much about that, do not feel hesitating to ask me or riverbird.

Alright, stop here. Let us do what we need to do, stop debating on some boring and useless things. And I have to apologize again for my previous response.

It's all right now that you've explained yourself; with your previous message I got offended and other people on this forum too, that was what transmitted your message. But it's ok. In the future if you feel in a bad mood and want to tell something personal to anyone, please use PMs, to keep it private.

PD: About the Chinese language, I wanted to say "all the Chinese 'dialects'", not Mandarin. :P

Now that the situation was cleared, I hope riverbird or anyone else interested in the Chinese localization can use the Heromyth work (he is working hard on it). :D

mejohnsn

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 04:09:20 am »
Looks nice, but how do I install this? The Wiki only lists directions for creating a new release of a nightly build, not for installing it. And the zip file is way too sparse to be a complete build.

Not to mention if I just try copying the exe files and dll files on top of an RC2 installation it fails _really_ badly!

BTW: the web page for installing RC2 says it is unicode, but it is using the ANSI dll for wxWidgets. What is up with that?

Finally, I realize that the older documentation does describe the nightly build as 'bleeding edge' (and similar language) implying that it is only for people actively working on C::B itself. But I have seen too many posts recommending using the nightly build in place of RC2, so please do not consider nightly builds as being just for developers: please give instructions that mere mortal _users_ can follow;)

acercpp

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 04:41:20 am »
The word "racism" is too severe,but I suggest you improve your moral character. That is important!
Hi, <unknown language deleted> riverbird <unknown language deleted>

Administrator edit: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3123.msg24795#msg24795
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:24:44 pm by mandrav »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 10:50:45 am »
Looks nice, but how do I install this? The Wiki only lists directions for creating a new release of a nightly build, not for installing it. And the zip file is way too sparse to be a complete build.

Search in the forum about how to install a nightly build. It is been discussed some times already.

Not to mention if I just try copying the exe files and dll files on top of an RC2 installation it fails _really_ badly!

Yes, this has been discussed even more times :).

Finally, I realize that the older documentation does describe the nightly build as 'bleeding edge' (and similar language) implying that it is only for people actively working on C::B itself. But I have seen too many posts recommending using the nightly build in place of RC2, so please do not consider nightly builds as being just for developers: please give instructions that mere mortal _users_ can follow;)

RC2 is old. Nightly builds are stable and more features rich.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 01:22:44 pm »
Hi, <unknown language deleted> riverbird <unknown language deleted>

The forum's official language is English. Never, ever, post in any other language. If the forum administrators can not understand the language used in posts, then anyone could write anything he wanted and we wouldn't be able to tell if it's about [censored], child abuse, arms dealing or even just spam.

This is the last time this is mentioned (again).
If this happens again, we will start deleting posts and accounts if this behaviour persists.

The forum's owners are liable for its content. Period.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 06:08:51 pm by mandrav »
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline dejan

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 03:52:07 pm »
With all due respect, sir, if you want something to be done ASAP in an open-source project, than you should do it yourself (TM) and ofcourse, send PATCH to the core developer team. If you do not know how to send them patch, than you should post a call for help here.
I'm waiting for your chinese version for a long long time.

mejohnsn

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 06:01:03 am »
Well, Michael, I believe you when you say it has been "discussed many times". But that is a pretty good hint that it is time to put the answer in the FAQ or the Wiki. Surely it can't be that hard to do it. And your comment that RC2 is "prety old" is also a pretty good hint that the comment that the nightly builds are for developers only should be removed.

BTW: I already _did_ try searching the Forum. In fact, when I typed the letter 'i', I saw my old search pop up, namely, "install nightly builds". And when I ran that search again, I came up with this post, and one other, which also did not have the answer. Or are you claiming that if I had typed "how to install nightly builds", that that search would have come up with better results? This forum's search engine would be a very unusual one if that were so.

So no, I did as you suggest, and still came up with nothing. That is why I ask in the forum. It is only because of a lack of familiarity with the forum software that the post appeared where it did in the thread, which is obviously not the best place.

lfm

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 07:36:37 am »
what are you doing here? do you think now is the time for talking about the various language versions? why you can not use the E version? do not ask that stupid question any more. let me tell you, every Chinese programmer could use any kind of English version's IDE as well. If you can not, go back home to study English. Because as you see, the programming language itself is based on English, and lots of the newest documentations are written in English. Moreover, I believe that all the Chinese Uni students at least should pass the English level 4 of their domestic English test system. Thus, find the problem from yourself, improve you English skills and be a good programmer. At last, I think there also will be a Chinese version in the future, but not now. I just tired to look at your messages again and again, so...pardon me.
Why acercpp is a guest?
caitiff ?!

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 12:34:43 pm »
Well, Michael, I believe you when you say it has been "discussed many times". But that is a pretty good hint that it is time to put the answer in the FAQ or the Wiki. Surely it can't be that hard to do it. And your comment that RC2 is "prety old" is also a pretty good hint that the comment that the nightly builds are for developers only should be removed.

BTW: I already _did_ try searching the Forum. In fact, when I typed the letter 'i', I saw my old search pop up, namely, "install nightly builds". And when I ran that search again, I came up with this post, and one other, which also did not have the answer. Or are you claiming that if I had typed "how to install nightly builds", that that search would have come up with better results? This forum's search engine would be a very unusual one if that were so.

So no, I did as you suggest, and still came up with nothing. That is why I ask in the forum. It is only because of a lack of familiarity with the forum software that the post appeared where it did in the thread, which is obviously not the best place.

Hello,

Strange :?. I run a global search with "Install nightly build" and find out 7 pages of results.

Best wishes,
Michael

mejohnsn

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 07:20:37 am »
Hello, Michael-

Thanks for sticking with this. If you get 7 pages of results, perhaps the real problem is my unfamiliarity with the UI for this forum. I typed "install nightly builds" in the input field just to the left of the button labeled 'search' that appeared as I was viewing my previous post. Perhaps that does not make the search global? If so, then how _do_ you make it global? For I just did it again, and once more, came up with one page of results, all from this thread.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 09:32:13 am »
maybe the search field "from who, or what is it called" was just your name, besure it is notfilled in or just "*", or maybe you're search was time limited ??

mejohnsn

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 12:02:55 pm »
maybe the search field "from who, or what is it called" was just your name, besure it is notfilled in or just "*", or maybe you're search was time limited ??

Good guess, killerbot, but no. Please re-read my previous post and notice that when one uses that particular input field, there _are_ no options to modify "from who, or what is it called". It is only when one clickes the word 'SEARCH' on the blue bar that one sees such options (I don't remember exactly what it is called there either).

Anyway, once I got past that hurdle and did the search "install nightly builds windows" starting from the blue  bar instead of from the button 'Search', I saw the 7 pages of results, most of which were build announcements, therefore entirely useless (for my purpose). After widening the list of forums searched, and spending WAY too much time doing the "next page" operation, I found an old post talking about the need to:

1 - remove RC2
2 - Install MingW C++ first (no version specified, so I took the latest fm www.mingw.org)
3 - Unzip the nightly build into the desired target directory for C::B
4 - copy the wxWidgets DLL into the directory of 3
5 - Run C::B, and it will supposedly find MingW C++

This _almost_ worked. But it could not find mingwm10.dll. I had to find a copy (there were two on my system -- I have no idea where they came from or what the difference is) and put it into the directory of 3 for C::B to find it. Now I can launch C::B and build&run my old C::B projects. Progress!

So yes, it was discussed before, but it was NOT easy to find the discussion, and when I did find it, the procedure described did NOT work as advertised. But now I have something that at least sort of works. Now if only I could copy the configuration I had to the new installation...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 03:38:46 pm »
boy, you searched the hell out of the forum ;-)

Glad to hear it finally worked, you know I will create a sticky post in the nightly builds section, explaining all the needed actions. I think you will like this idea, though for your purposes it comes a bit too late.

RC2 stored it's settings in the registry, the current nightlies and upcoming RC3 and V1 don't use the registry anymore to store CB settings, it's a xml file stored in the user's profile directory. No conversion, but hopefully this was the last breaking change for settings (well compiler settings change is coming up ..).
Just hold up your head, sweat through this little problem and enjoy the soooooo much better nightlies and wave bye bye to RC2 ;-)

Cheers,
Lieven

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 03:07:28 pm »
Thanks for sticking with this. If you get 7 pages of results, perhaps the real problem is my unfamiliarity with the UI for this forum. I typed "install nightly builds" in the input field just to the left of the button labeled 'search' that appeared as I was viewing my previous post. Perhaps that does not make the search global? If so, then how _do_ you make it global? For I just did it again, and once more, came up with one page of results, all from this thread.

Hello,

To make a global search, you have to clik on the Code::Block link (in the folder hierarchy, under the box Search). Then you can either do a simple search or an advanced one. The scope of the search will be the entire C::B forum.

Best wishes,
Michael