Author Topic: wxSmith on LINUX  (Read 8709 times)

Offline KirkD

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith on LINUX
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:20:13 am »
I have successfully compiled/installed Code::Blocks on RHEL4, but I don't see wxSmith anywhere.  Is it within the source code (SVN) and can it be built/installed on LINUX??

-Kirk

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxSmith on LINUX
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:09:58 am »
For my linux installation I had to go into the plugins\contrib directory and issue another make install there. I guess that the plugins\contrib folder is not included in the default compilation.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 07:26:01 am »
.\configure --enable-contrib was not enough?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:32:13 am by Takeshi Miya »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 07:36:01 am »
Could have been if I had known... ;-)
<homer_mode> Doh! </homer_mode> :lol:
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 07:40:05 am »
Could have been if I had known... ;-)
<homer_mode> Doh! </homer_mode> :lol:

It's not the first time a *nix user misses out that.

I suggest to make --enable-contrib on by default, and we're already distributing with contrib plugins in Windows :wink:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:34:48 am »
If we enable them by default, there is no point for them being contrib plugins. We could as well move them to the other folder then.

However, there may be people who don't want contrib plugins at all, or only a subset of them.
For example, I regularly compile wxSmith and Help by hand because those are the only contrib plugins I ever use.

Especially since you are someone who experiences quite long loading times, you should actually have had a thought about removing a few things that you never use.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:18 am »
If we enable them by default, there is no point for them being contrib plugins. We could as well move them to the other folder then.
That's not entirely true.

However, there may be people who don't want contrib plugins at all, or only a subset of them.
--disable-contrib for them.
I bet most people want then compiled. A poll could resolve what should be the default.

Especially since you are someone who experiences quite long loading times, you should actually have had a thought about removing a few things that you never use.
That commentary is really out of place. Changing the default value for a configure flag doesn't have anything to do with loading times, since you can disable the plugins loading from within C::B.

For example, I regularly compile wxSmith and Help by hand because those are the only contrib plugins I ever use.
I for one, preffer to compile all plugins, and later at run-time, choose the ones I use most often.

Do you have any other short-term solution for KirkD, MortenMacFly, and other linux users?
I mean, we're already compiling and distributing contrib plugins in Windows for both stable and nightly builds.

Clearing the issue: for a long-term solution, of course the contrib plugins will be probably removed, because when C::B will have a big quantity of plugins made (like Eclipse) it will be the right time, but just now we have a reasonable small quantity of plugins.
Probably in the future even the contrib plugins will have to be sorted out of the codebase repository, moved to their own plugins repositories and mantained independently, downloaded trough the new codepacks :P

Again, I'm only talking about a short/medium-term solution, that is changing the configure default option, without forcing anyone, with the intentions of making it a little bit easier for the linux users.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 10:00:13 am by Takeshi Miya »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 10:34:26 am »
Do you have any other short-term solution for KirkD, MortenMacFly, and other linux users?
Yes, --enable-contrib.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:44:23 am »
Again, I'm only talking about a short/medium-term solution, that is changing the configure default option, without forcing anyone, with the intentions of making it a little bit easier for the linux users.
I would agree with Thomas here. The reason I didn't know is because I'm not familiar with autotools and stuff on linux. Anyway: A linux user should know the ./configure --help option (me included) which will reveal "--enable-contrib", the default and a lot other options. A developer on linux (again: me included!) really should know that if (s)he tries to compile C::B from the sources (!). Otherwise (s)he should use the pre-compiled packages.
In addition: I (as really not an expert in linux) was able to run make myself - so as long as the Makefiles are being created OK using the default configure it's OK I'd say.
With regards, Morten.

takeshimiya

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 10:54:52 am »
Ok, since I know the existence of --enable-contrib, it's not really a problem for me.

Offline KirkD

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 05:27:48 pm »
I have to second Morten's comments.  I'm not familiar enough with LINUX autotools to know the --enable-contrib switches are there.  That being said, I still want to use Code::Blocks for my development which crosses Windows and LINUX lines.  It comes down to who is the target audience?  Those familiar enough with the environment to know this up front, or those of us following the build instructions on the wiki, which do not mention the --enable-contrib switch.

-Kirk

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 06:14:08 pm »
I have to second Morten's comments.  I'm not familiar enough with LINUX autotools to know the --enable-contrib switches are there.  That being said, I still want to use Code::Blocks for my development which crosses Windows and LINUX lines.  It comes down to who is the target audience?  Those familiar enough with the environment to know this up front, or those of us following the build instructions on the wiki, which do not mention the --enable-contrib switch.

Hello,

Well, C::B provided official releases and nightly builds for users who do not want or do not have time to build C::B by themselves. For users who wish to build C::B, then the wiki is helpful and the forum too. Regarding the --enabled-contrib, there is written here:

By default, CodeBlocks will not compile the contributed plugins from SVN. If you want to compile / install them too, replace the above ./configure command with:

Code
./configure --enable-contrib

followed by 'make && make install' as usual.

To see a list of other options available for configuring the build of CodeBlocks do:

Code
./configure --help

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline KirkD

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 06:40:55 pm »
How could I not have seen that the last time through??  My guess is that it is low in the document (away from the ./configure step), and I didn't read far enough.  Also, the BUILD file within the SVN does explain the --enable-contrib flag, so I suppose I just didn't read enough.  My fault.  Read the README, right??

Well, C::B provided official releases and nightly builds for users who do not want or do not have time to build C::B by themselves.

Yes, but unfortunately the only platforms for which these are targeted are Ubuntu and FC4,5.  I'm working on RH EL 4 which I don't have the option to change.  As a result, if I want to use C::B, I have no option but to build it as well as wxGTK.  Trust me, I tried every option I could come up with as well as a number of those suggested here.

All in all, I have to say that I learned a LOT about the whole process by going through it, painful as it was.  8^)  And, I want to commend everyone here for holding my little hand as I went through it all.  Thanks kids.

-Kirk

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 06:53:54 pm »
How could I not have seen that the last time through??  My guess is that it is low in the document (away from the ./configure step), and I didn't read far enough.  Also, the BUILD file within the SVN does explain the --enable-contrib flag, so I suppose I just didn't read enough.  My fault.  Read the README, right??

To be honest, I tend before to do and when I get an error, to read carefully the documentation. Bad behaviour, I guess :).

Well, C::B provided official releases and nightly builds for users who do not want or do not have time to build C::B by themselves.

Yes, but unfortunately the only platforms for which these are targeted are Ubuntu and FC4,5.  I'm working on RH EL 4 which I don't have the option to change.  As a result, if I want to use C::B, I have no option but to build it as well as wxGTK.  Trust me, I tried every option I could come up with as well as a number of those suggested here.

A Gentoo ebuild is also available. IIRC, soon a package for Suse and Mandriva (?) should be also available.

Concerning RH EL, I think that the next version would be based on FC5 which could make your life easier.

All in all, I have to say that I learned a LOT about the whole process by going through it, painful as it was.  8^)  And, I want to commend everyone here for holding my little hand as I went through it all.  Thanks kids.

Yes, I agree :). I also learn a lot the first time I have built C::B on Ubuntu 5.10. And successively by building .deb packages, I also learn something. Cool 8).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 10:11:42 am »
which do not mention the --enable-contrib switch.
...they do already. (I've added this a few days ago... ;-))