Author Topic: Is the next RC to be released today?  (Read 17913 times)

Melhisedek

Re: Is the next RC to be released today?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 08:41:30 am »
Now I get it :)
I was looking at GCC 4.0.3 IIRC and folder structure was alltogether different from MinGW one...
I just "updated" GCC++, GCC core, binutil, Win API and GDB. Just one more question before I leave you guys alone :)

Is this how the "create new project" screen should look? There is no C++ project... instead I use console application right? Also can I move the "nightly build" folder around? Perhaps even rename it? Will things still work?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Melhisedek

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 08:43:00 am »
damn there is no edit button for unregistered users :(
Anyway here is the screen:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6418/untitled0fq.jpg

sorry for double post

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 11:03:32 am »
Is this how the "create new project" screen should look? There is no C++ project... instead I use console application right?

That's depend on what you want to do. Console application? GUI application? Shared library? Static library?

Also can I move the "nightly build" folder around? Perhaps even rename it? Will things still work?

Just give it a try :). For example, when I build C::B by myself, I have at end a devel repository. I just copy and past it where I want and rename it (e.g., CodeBlocks). It is also possible to have more copies of C::B, but AFAIK just one configuration file.

Best wishes,
Michael

accord

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 12:01:19 pm »
I love "Code::Blocks IDE, with MINGW compiler" version because easy to install and I am lazy :)
Will RC3 contains the MinGW 4.x? instead of 3.x?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 12:32:25 pm »

If you mean GCC 4.x, I think not. The latest GCC version made available by the MinGW developers is 3.4.5 (candidate). A GCC 4.1 binary snapshot is made available by Ceniza, but not supported by MinGW developers.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 01:43:26 pm »
That can safely be answered with "no".

It is not decided whether MinGW will be included at all in the base installation, but it is certain that it will not be a 4.x version. The 4.1/4.2 branches are unluckily not production quality at this time, and the 4.0 branch is not sufficiently superior to the 3.4 branch to justify the problems that it introduces. Also, all 4.x versions need to be compiled from sources, which is tedious and time consuming (on the order of hours, rather than minutes).

The likely thing you will get (no guarantees) will be a base installer without any compilers, and a MinGW package for the builtin web updater, so users can install MinGW with a few clicks when first running Code::Blocks.
Maybe, possibly, there will be a convenience package that already comes with MinGW preinstalled, too, but it will certainly not be 4.x.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 05:30:11 pm »
...builtin web updater...

This sets my spidey sense tingling...

Will this web updater indeed be available by RC3? I do see "Automatic updates" on the roadmap, but have seen nothing of it in the repository yet. Will this be a part of the rumored custom package system? Will it support "hotpatching" -- i.e. run it from C::B, update C::B, and automatically restart C::B?

My other reaction would be not to neglect the installer -- for a beginner, you can't beat being able to setup a fully working development environment with a few clicks. For NSIS installers, it's a simple matter to incorporate archives and a plugin that will extract them, or download them from the web and extract them (4.41 MB).

EDIT: So now I find out that my paid hosting has a 10 MB file size limit...so the installer with MinGW wasn't uploaded...sheesh.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 10:28:11 pm by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 08:13:03 pm »
Will this web updater indeed be available by RC3?
That is one valid interpretation of the above post.

I do see "Automatic updates" on the roadmap, but have seen nothing of it in the repository yet.
Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments,
lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Revelation 16:15

Will this be a part of the rumored custom package system? Will it support "hotpatching" -- i.e. run it from C::B, update C::B, and automatically restart C::B?
I don't know much about rumours and buzz words like "hotpatching", sorry :)
But yes, it will be able to update Code::Blocks.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 08:33:31 pm »
Consider me duly admonished. I shall await with excitement the third coming of the Code::Blocks. :)
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline peso

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Abalone on Wikipedia
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 12:10:22 pm »
While I'm happy using the nightly builds, RC3 has passed its roadmap date.
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Roadmap_for_version_1.0

It would be nice to have an updated release date in the roadmap. (Is it two days or two months from now?) :-)