Author Topic: New File shutdown  (Read 19053 times)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Re: New File shutdown
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:16:41 pm »
When you have compiler errors and you leave your cursor on it, a yellow tooltip pops up and it contains the error string. Since the Project thing goes all the way down now, the errors are cut off really short (@ 1024 anyways) and the tooltip is aligned with this new shorted window, so the error gets written right off the edge of the screen.

I'll file some error later when I get back.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 11:22:27 pm »
I confirm : "The program doesn't show up in the task bar if it's not in focus when it starts up. "
Could you file the bugreport on berlios please, thx.

Yeah I have experienced this for a looong time. Never did report it though..... I probably should have....
Not sure I really understand what you mean... it is not supposed to show in the taskbar during startup?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 11:26:40 pm »
start up CB : and make sure you have already another program open, directly after you started CB, focus back in the other app. In the meanwhile CB continues to start up --> notice how there's no "slo" in the taskbar for CB.

Where exactly should those "compiler error" tooltips show up ??

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 11:28:11 pm »
eg : try as the other app  "FireFox", at the end of the test close Firefox and start Firefox again, focus back to CB --> Firefox will appear in the task bar

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 11:39:19 pm »
When you have compiler errors and you leave your cursor on it, a yellow tooltip [...]

I'll file some error later when I get back.
I doubt that will be of any avail, since I don't think it can be fixed. The compiler errors are shown using a SimpleListLog (found inside SDK). If you look at SimpleListLog's sources, you see that we don't do anything to generate that tooltip, we only add items to a wxListCtrl. The tooltip is created "secretly" by wxWidgets, we're not involved at all.
Also, I wouldn't know what to change, since probably the only thing that could help would be to insert a line break, but you don't know at which position.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 11:47:51 pm »
start up CB : and make sure you have already another program open, directly after you started CB, focus back in the other app. In the meanwhile CB continues to start up --> notice how there's no "slo" in the taskbar for CB.
Well, I don't know... but it looks exactly like it should?

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 01:04:34 am »
I think I was able to fix that myself by re-dragging the windows so that the message pane took up the whole bootom of the window again, and the messages don't start halfway across the screen.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 08:11:06 am »
now it also works on my pc's, in the taskbar, yesterday it surely did not  :shock:

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 11:21:17 am »
I confirm : "The program doesn't show up in the task bar if it's not in focus when it starts up. "
Could you file the bugreport on berlios please, thx.

Yeah I have experienced this for a looong time. Never did report it though..... I probably should have....
Same here  :)

I found how to reproduce it:
1) start ONLY one program, eg firefox
2) start C::B
3) focus firefox
4) minimize firefox (this seems to bring back focus to C::B)
5) restore firefox

C::B's taskbar button shows for a sec, then disappear.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 12:59:53 pm »
[...]
Works just fine for me. No matter what voodoo I try, there is nothing that looks queer.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 01:10:20 pm »
[...]
Works just fine for me. No matter what voodoo I try, there is nothing that looks queer.

Hello,

I have also tried and it works fine for me too.

Best wishes,
Michael

PS.: Interesting signature... :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:14:10 pm by Michael »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 02:52:08 pm »
Okay I think I understand what is going on now. Currently if I have some apps opened, and I open CB from my quick launch and go back to work in my other windows, CB doesn't go onto the task bar until it is completely finished all it's start up tasks. When it was trying to forever load my default workspace, it meant no icon at all because it never finished. Make sense?

I have opened and closed it some 30 times since yesterday, and this seems to be the case every time.

Right clicking in the workspace pane and saving my workspace did the trick to get the program to open it on startup. There should be a MAKE DEFAULT option in there.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 02:54:53 pm by Vampyre_Dark »

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 03:50:11 pm »
See this flash video.

If you minimize/restore firefox by double clicking on its taskbar button, everything is fine.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:52:37 pm by kkez »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 04:07:14 pm »
CB doesn't go onto the task bar until it is completely finished all it's start up tasks.
But that is perfectly normal, it is supposed to do that :)
To avoid mindless overdraw, we do not show the main frame until everything is initialised. The splash screen does not show in the task bar, but this, too, is intentional.

If you look closely at Code::Blocks RC2 (which does not retain the main window), you see that the complete UI is redrawn at least 20 times during startup. wxWidgets is particularly braindead when it comes to event handling, especially regarding UI updates. In fact, I often wonder that despite this, Code::Blocks is still usable at all.

If you are in for a good laugh, set a breakpoint in some function handling UpdateUI events, and count how many times it is called if you just move your mouse a tiny bit. For example, if you move your mouse over the middle of the editor (no way near the menu bar), you can be lucky enough to get 6-8 UpdateUI events for the file and the edit menu. Luckily, you have plenty of CPU cycles to burn :)

Nota bene: Actually, this might be one reason for the high CPU load problems reported with Xorg.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 04:26:18 pm »
See this flash video.
I can't reproduce it on my machine doing the same steps as you did. Anway: Just a wild guess: Could you try to disable the keybinder plugin (and maybe others...?!) and see if this changes something?
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ