Author Topic: Trying to find a debugger to use with VCTK  (Read 12130 times)

Anonymous

Trying to find a debugger to use with VCTK
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:57:32 pm »
Im running codeblocks as a solution for an IDE that I can use mobily from a flashdrive.  Take it to work and code, take it home and code, take it to a familymembers house and code.  I'm really please with the simplicity of getting codeblocks to do that much.  I'm not very sure about a debugger though.  What sort of debugger can I use with the VC Toolkit that I can just as easily run from the same flashdrive?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:10:47 pm »
Um currently Codeblocks can only use GDB.  Why not try? :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:43:09 pm »
What sort of debugger can I use with the VC Toolkit that I can just as easily run from the same flashdrive?

Something is in the works ;)
Stay tuned.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

bszente

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:35:41 am »
MinGW always produces smaller exe files, than VCTK. I think that GCC is better than VCTK, but you can try to do a comparison.
I have VCTK installed, and at the beginnig I used it, but after trying MinGW, I don't use it anymore.
I'm very pleased with MinGW, it can do much more optimizations that VCTK can do. And the debugger is also working very well.

jludvig

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:40:55 am »
MinGW? I'm coding VST plugins and I've had big problems trying to compile the neccesary SDK's with MinGW. I have no problem beleiving that it's a better compiler - I'm sure it is, but those of us depending on SDK's developed for microsoft compilers are kind of stuck with the toolkit. Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love to be wrong on this one :-)

So mandrav: what's cooking? Are you developing a debugger that integrates with VC Toolkit? Please tell us more...

In the meantime I recommend WinDbg a free debugger from Microsoft. It has all the features except: no syntax highlighting in the source viewer... and it's annoying to leave the IDE for debugging, but... it works.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 08:29:09 am »
Quote from: jludvig
So mandrav: what's cooking? Are you developing a debugger that integrates with VC Toolkit? Please tell us more...

LOL, Of cource I am not developing a debugger  :lol:
I am just trying to integrate an existing debugger  :P

Yiannis.
Be patient!

bszente

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:30:33 am »
Quote from: jludvig
MinGW? I'm coding VST plugins and I've had big problems trying to compile the neccesary SDK's with MinGW. I have no problem beleiving that it's a better compiler - I'm sure it is, but those of us depending on SDK's developed for microsoft compilers are kind of stuck with the toolkit. Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love to be wrong on this one :-)

:lol:
Unfortunatelly, I think you have absolutely right.
Yeah, it happened to me also in these days, that I got some VS libs, and from this reason I had to use the VC Toolkit. I don't know if it is possible to use MS VS libs with MinGW linker.
For example I made some WebCam capture program, and in the MinGW package the vfw.h file does not contain all the WinAPI function interface (capCreateCaptureWindow for ex.), so I had to move to VCToolkit.

If you find out something to migrate libs and object files between VS and MinGW, please post here, I'm also curious.

Is WinDbg that one, which is included in the Platform SDK?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 10:05:18 am »
If you find out something to migrate libs and object files between VS and MinGW, please post here, I'm also curious.

Code
reimp -c <vc_lib_file> // Hope I remember it correctly ;)

This generates a libXYZ.a file from XYZ.lib ;)

Is WinDbg that one, which is included in the Platform SDK?

Nothing to integrate from windbg. It's an external app...
No, I 'm integrating cbp (from debugging tools) or ntsd (should be installed on all windows machines - win2000 and up). They 're compatible except some features about kernel debugging being present only in cbp...
Think of cbp/ntsd as gdb for VC.

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 10:45:56 pm »
Quote from: mandrav

No, I 'm integrating cbp (from debugging tools) or ntsd (should be installed on all windows machines - win2000 and up). They 're compatible except some features about kernel debugging being present only in cbp...
Think of cbp/ntsd as gdb for VC.

I know, that devs don't like that kind of questions, but when we can expect to have that feature?

cheers,
bB

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 11:05:11 pm »
When It's Ready (tm)

The point is that the debugger plugin must be abstracted a bit more to accomodate for multiple debuggers (like the compiler plugin is).
I just have to find some spare time...

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 11:26:18 pm »
When It's Ready (tm)

I thought so  8)

The point is that the debugger plugin must be abstracted a bit more to accomodate for multiple debuggers (like the compiler plugin is).
I just have to find some spare time...

Well then. Good luck with this.
I really can't wait to have my hands on this  :D

cheers,
bB

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 04:21:51 pm »
This is progabely a stupid question, but can mingw compile a program in such a way that windbg can debug it?
Or does windbg only accepts programs compiled with a MS compiler. I know how to use a compiler/linker/debuger
but i dont know their inner workings.....

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 07:45:50 pm »
I found the answer myself. You cant use gcc with msdbg.