Author Topic: Trouble with Nightly builds  (Read 7855 times)

PhiLho

Trouble with Nightly builds
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:54:10 pm »
Perhaps this belongs to the Nightly builds (NB) section, but it is also an installation issue...
I installed, on WinXP Pro SP2, the 1.0RC2 version. I ran it briefly, without problem.
Then, I looked at the files in the NB and moved the corresponding files to a RC2 sub-directory:
wxscintilla.dll
codeblocks.exe.manifest
codeblocks.exe
console_runner.exe
codeblocks.dll
exchndl.dll
and the whole share directory.

Then I unzipped the 2006-04-23 NB to my Code::Blocks installation.
So far, so good. But when I run CodeBlocks.exe, I get lot of error messages:

Le point d'entrée de procédure _ZN13ConfigManager16AddConfigurationERK8wxStringS2_ est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure UnixFilename est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure FileTypeOf est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure ChooseDirectory est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure GetArrayFromString est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure CreateDirRecursively est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure _Z6cbReadR6wxFileR8wxString est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.
Le point d'entrée de procédure _Z7cbWriteR6wxFileRK8wxString est introuvable dans la bibliothèque de liaisons dynamique codeblocks.dll.

I have a French system... So, the above functions are not found in codeblocks.dll.

Another dialog box reporting errors on images:

Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/file.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Couldn't add an image to the image list.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/file-missing.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/file-modified.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/file-readonly.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-added.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-conflict.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-missing.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-modified.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-outofdate.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-uptodate.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/rc-file-requireslock.png': file does not exist.   12:15:52
Can't load image from file 'c:\program files\udev\codeblocks/share/codeblocks/images/16x16/filefind.png': file does not exist.   12:15:53

Indeed, I don't have a 16x16 directory in the images dir. Nor the above images, neither in RC2 nor in the NB.

I ran with Dependency Walker, and it confirmed the problems, and even more.

So tell me, is my installation procedure wrong? Are the NB reserved for elite?
I searched the forum and the Wiki, without success.
I think I will go back to RC2, but I would like to know if there is a solution to the above issue.
Thank you.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: Trouble with Nightly builds
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:01:32 pm »
as it was said approx. 256 times before (maybe it is time to write this advice into each of the nightly build announcement threads BIG and BOLD)

do *NOT* unzip the Nightly build version on top of the CB 1.0RC2 folder

unzip the Nightly build version to a new folder and start it from there

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:37:03 pm by tiwag »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:09 pm »
as it was said approx. 256 times before (maybe it is time to write this advice into each of the nightly build announcement threads BIG and BOLD)

do not unzip the Nightly build version on top of the CB 1.0RC2 folder

unzip the Nightly build version to a new folder and start it from there

Could you change that not
 to  *NOT* please

PhiLho

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:12:29 pm »
Thanks for the big, bold advice!  :)
But it would be more useful in:
http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ (if I am the 256th one to ask...)
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks
which are the places I looked around...

OK, so I moved the unzipped files (and folders) to a Nightly build folder under the CodeBlocks one, and I restored the files I moved earlier. I added mingwm10.dll wxmsw26_gcc_cb.dll wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll to this directory and restarted C::B.
I got exactly the same errors, which doesn't surprise me much...

So, the next two stupid questions (thanks for your patience!):
- Does I have to uninstall RC2 and remove all traces, then quietly unzip the NB?
- What does happen of all the files the installation created (headers, libs, compiler...)?

The site is advertizing the NB, which is fine, but it is a bit light on how to use it...

And out of curiosity, why overwritting the files doesn't work? Beside "It's badTM", like crossing rays in GhostBusters...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:27:05 pm »
- Does I have to uninstall RC2 and remove all traces, then quietly unzip the NB?
- What does happen of all the files the installation created (headers, libs, compiler...)?
Open the Code::Blocks folder, then press Ctrl-A, followed by Del. Then unzip the nightly build archive and the corresponding dll archives here.

If you are fanatic, you can delete the Code::Blocks key from the registry (along with all subkeys). The nightly build does not use the registry for storing configuration any more (only file associations go to the registry). If you don't care, you can just leave it.

The site is advertizing the NB, which is fine, but it is a bit light on how to use it...
Download archives, make folder, unpack, double-click executable. :)

And out of curiosity, why overwritting the files doesn't work? Beside "It's badTM", like crossing rays in GhostBusters...
Lieven (that's the guy making the nightly builds) uses a differnt wxWidgets build with a different version and different compiler flags. That's not bad as such, but it is incompatible to the library bundled with RC2.
Also, a few data files have been changed, or obsoleted during the last half year. Even though care was taken to keep backwards compatibility, it is not a good thing to try and confuse the app with mixing lexers and templates from versions that are so greatly different.
Last, you might theoretically happen to use an old XRC file (for example, if the file is in use while unpacking, which prevents it from being replaced). This will go unnoticed until you first access a resource that has been changed, at which point the application will crash for no obvious reason.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:32:51 pm »
Thanks for the big, bold advice!  :)
But it would be more useful in:
http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ (if I am the 256th one to ask...)
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks
which are the places I looked around...
A little note to the effect of "The nightly builds are self sufficient; please do not extract them on top of a previous Code::Blocks installation" would probably not be amiss in the Nightly Build posts.

OK, so I moved the unzipped files (and folders) to a Nightly build folder under the CodeBlocks one, and I restored the files I moved earlier. I added mingwm10.dll wxmsw26_gcc_cb.dll wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll to this directory and restarted C::B.
I got exactly the same errors, which doesn't surprise me much...

No, you don't necessarily need to do this. Unfortunately, you've produced the dreaded DLL Hell , wherein different versions of one or more DLLs and executables get mixed with each other. This is never a good thing -- the executable will load a DLL and look for certain functions in it that were in the version the executable was linked with, but that version has been through a few rewrites since the older version of the DLL it's trying to use, so you get missing functions and variables, and --boom--, nothing works anymore.

What you need to have done is ignored or deleted your RC2 installation altogether. If you just download three components from killerbot's Nightly Build post -- the wxWidgets DLL, the mingwm10 DLL, and the Code::Blocks build -- and extract them to a single, otherwise empty directory, you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to run the nightly build [on Windows 2000 or XP]. If, however, any DLLs from RC2, or even an old enough nightly build, get mixed in with it, it'll crash.

Once you've done this, however, it won't know where to find your compiler. I recommend installing MinGW separately, using the 5.0.2 installer. This is not pertinent to your issue of DLL hell.

I see thomas has answered your questions pretty well while I was fiddling around with my post, but I'm going to stick it in anyway 'cause I hate to waste all this work :D.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:47:36 pm »
CB 1.0RC2 and any of the nightly builds can coexist nicely, just some problems can arise when you want CB have assigned to some file extensions like *.cbp etc.., Switch off the Settings which autoassigns the file extensions.

if you want to use the MinGW gcc tools with a NB, then let CB 1.0RC2 installed,
unzip the NB in a new folder and start it, then goto settings and adjust the gcc compiler pathes to your already installed version.

nothing fancy, business as usual ...

PhiLho

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:51:52 pm »
Uninstalled RC2
It left:
- C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.CodeBlocks (empty)
- C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\codeblocks (with default.conf)
even after asking twice if I wanted to remove settings...
- All associations (HKCR -- c, cbp, cc, cg, cpp, cxx, d, h, hh, hpp, hxx, rc, workspace) in registry.
- Idem in HKCU\Software\Classes (a bug? Probably belongs to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes)
- HKCU\Software\Code::Blocks (empty)
- HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.c\OpenWithProgids (.c .cpp .cxx .h .hpp .hxx)

Messy... I delete all of the above.

I removed everything in the CodeBlocks installation directory.
I unzipped CodeBlocks_20060424_rev2377_win32_.7z
Then mingwm10.7z then wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z and  wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z

It failed to run... I found that share\CodeBlocks was empty! My unzipper (IZArc) failed to recursively unzip this directory!
So, that's the problem I had, and the reason why I had some missing directories...
Usually, it manages correctly such directory hierarchies, I suppose it is an issue with 7-Zip files.
Fortunately, I still have 7-Zip itself on my system, so I will use that.

Being stubborn, I restarted my initial setup: install RC2, move files and folders to replace (no risk of letting unwanted files), unzip the nighly build.
After all, there are interesting files in this release and I was lazy to download MingW...

Aaaand... It worked!
So, the problem was between my chair and the keyboard...
Sorry for the noise, althought it will make an interesting topic to search for other newbies...

Thank you for the informations and the helpfull hands. Next time I need help, I will register!
BTW, it is nice to allow casual posts like mine, I was motivated enough to register if needed, but sometime I just want to report some problems in a newly tested freeware and drop the idea because I don't necessarily want to be registered to yet another site... :-)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:44:25 pm »
Then mingwm10.7z then wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z and  wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z

You just need mingwm10.7z and wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z (UNICODE build). If you want an ANSI build then wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z instead of wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 03:05:35 am »
However, ANSI build has to be built to use the ANSI DLL...